Garmin 2730 Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I got the 2730 after the deal that was discussed on another thread. I have a GPS III+ and figured I needed the upgrade (ya think?). Anyway, I mistakenly thought the GPS III+ mount was from Touratech but it was actually a Tech Mount. I bought the 2730 mount from Touratech and like it very much, looks like it keeps a good grip on the GPS. The model from Tech Mount looked like it put too much leverage on the plastic mounting circle on the bottom of the 2730. So, after mistakenly harrassing the guy at Touratech about why my existing mount wouldn't fit on my new mount, I finally spotted the Tech Mount logo and discovered my mistake. Duh! So I modified the two so I could seeming have the best of both. Worked out pretty slick, only had to drill out new holes in the Tech Mount to receive the Touratech bracket.

CIMG1945.jpg

CIMG1946.jpg

CIMG1947.jpg

I also got the accessory cable to power it up from the bike via a universal plug. The cable is miles too long so I'm going to cut it to fit. However, what the heck is the female plug on the end of the cable in addition to the power adapter. It doesn't fit the GPS XM antenna. Is it for some sort of speaker device? Can I just cut the cable to length and not worry about it? The other end of the cable is simply two wires, Pos and Neg.

CIMG1949.jpg

Any ideas or cautions?

I also got the accessory cable to power it up from the bike via a universal plug. The cable is miles too long so I'm going to cut it to fit. However, what the heck is the female plug on the end of the cable in addition to the power adapter. It doesn't fit the GPS XM antenna. Is it for some sort of speaker device? Can I just cut the cable to length and not worry about it? The other end of the cable is simply two wires, Pos and Neg.
CIMG1949.jpg

Any ideas or cautions?
If you look very carefully you will see that it has two wires cut at both ends. Yes you can shorten it to teh length you want because once you get past the plastic piece that holds both connectors together there is only the positive and negative wires in use the rest of the cable.

OK, but what is supposed to plug into the female port? Do I have an additional farkle oppertunity here?

It is for the speaker you will need to get a adapter, I got mine from Radio Shack careful as you can get either mono or stereo and if you want to use the MP3 player you'll want the stereo type.

I did the exact setup with the exception of getting a shorter stem (1.5" I think?) so that the GPS sits down between the bars more (and to me) looks more streamlined. Only issue is needing to look AROUND the GPS to see the idiot lights from time to time.

That female jack is the mono audio feed out to your autocom or whatever you're using for an intercom.

Excellent setup! I'll take pics later tonight of the shorter stem to share with you.

is it a stereo feed? damn! I'll need to recable

Thanks everyone! I looked closer at the fuse end of the cable and discovered a brown and a white wire barely showing. Probably for the voice stuff. We don't use any comms system as my wife is sure she'd be jabbering my head off and distracting me from my riding. And I don't need the annoying voice of the Garmin chic making up for it. Although a British friend of mine says he has downloaded John Cleese into his, complete with jokes when you screw up. Could be entrtaining until you get used to all the same jokes.

Not shown in the pictures is that I've made one of the Tech Mount mounting holes in the front larger to accomidate the scribe that comes with the Touratech mount for activating the touch screen. Works a lot better as a gloved hand is a bit of a blunt object when trying to navigate thru the pages.

>It is for the speaker you will need to get a adapter, I got mine from Radio Shack careful as you can get either >mono or stereo and if you want to use the MP3 player you'll want the stereo type.

Stereo or mono. Isn't this plug receptor for mono only and does it not feed signal from the mono MP3 in the 2730. I do not want to let the smoke out!!

I wondered what the plug was for too, ended up putting a cap on it and zip tied it away. With a set of Shure earbuds via the audio jack on the side...lovin' it.

I bought a refurb 2730 on eBay via a post from this forum...it's great and am very happy with the Techmount. Am loving the Hair Nation channel on XM! :punk:

DSC01755.png

DSC01757.png

DSC01758.png