Garmin 2730 vs Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanFJR

Reaction score
I have been debating which GPS to purchase and I have did a little reading on both devices and I would like to get the opinion of someone that has used both units. I found a used Garmin 2730 with everything including manuals, box, etc for 225.00 not sure if this is a good deal or not.. I also found a brand new Zumo 550 for 600.00. I like the looks of the Zumo 550, but I am not sure that the system is worth the extra money. Any comments and opinions are welcomed. Thanks, Dean

If that 2730 includes the XM 'pod', it is a great deal, assuming everything works.

The 550 is priced well and works well (finally).

It's a toss-up in my books.

I love my 2730 but, I am on my third one all replaced under warranty. I would go with a new Zumo before I bought another refurbished unit.

I've had a 2730 for about a month, and love it so far. You need a shade however, as the screen is not as bright as the new units.

Some one on the list that knows some one at Garmin told us to wait until next year to buy a new unit. The inference is that there's something new in the pipeline.

I've had a 2730 for 3 years now and love it, can say if it's better than the Zumo never used one of those.

I've had my 2730 for about 3 years - got it from Costco. It's starting to act up. Although I'm not touching the screen, it acts (sometimes) like I'm touching the screen and I have to cycle it on/off a few times until it goes back to normal. It's out of warranty. I can send it back to Garmin and they will repair it back to factory specs for $170. It says they will include the latest software, but, I don't know if that implies the latest maps. As I've been very happy with it otherwise, I think this is the route I will go. It's a bit bulky compared to newer units, but, since I already have the mount for it, I can't see getting something else.

My 2730 works very well. If the one you are looking at comes with the XM puck, that's a pretty good price. The screen is not the best in bright sunlight. I have had no problems with mine in a year of heavy use in my work van and on my bike. I used a Zumo once and it is a good unit but overall I prefer the 2730 probably because it's what I am used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some one on the list that knows some one at Garmin told us to wait until next year to buy a new unit. The inference is that there's something new in the pipeline.
I've had a 2730 for 3 years now and love it, can say if it's better than the Zumo never used one of those.
There is always something new in the pipeline. If you wait for the last great thing you will ever buy anything.

Dean,

It really depends on what FEATURES are important to you. I had a 2730 which was replaced TWICE under warranty and the 2nd time Garmin replaced it with a 2820.

If the 2820 had had an SD card slot for MP3, I would still have one!

For my BMW 1300 GT, I got the BMW Navigator IV (Garmin 660) and I couldn't be HAPPIER SO FAR!!! MP3 player (and thus SD Card slot) was more important to me than an XM radio. It would be nice if Garmin would FINALLY include all the best features, but I guess for ~$800 they still can't deliver such a product :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: !

Best Regards,

Shane

I can't give a comparison, but am interested where you find the Zumo 550 for $600.00? Refurbs are next to impossible to find now, I even have friends looking with me to find one. The cheapest I have seen a Zumo 550 is at Sam's Club for $640.00.

I've had issues with the cradle on the Zumo 550, was told by a Garmin rep 6 weeks ago or so, after we did a SW upgrade, that if I continued to have problems, to reply to his email, and he'd get me a new one. I did have problems, and have replied to his email three times now, with no response. Gotta love customer service these days.... :angry2:

Just got back from a 5200 mile west coast trip. One of the fellas had just bought a refurbed 2730...the rest of us ZUMOs. We could all swap routes ...but when we loaded our ZUMO routes onto his 2730 they didn't sync up exactly. The 2730 was constantly recalculating and much of the time the routes (the purple brick road) was off to where the vehicle icon was on the display. Made it look like he was driving 200 ft off the road. And he has the updated software/maps.

The ZUMO seems to calculate and recalc routes much faster. I think it has more memory and a faster CPU...but I can't swear to that. It's not as bulky as the 2730 and the way I have it mounted on my bike (Techmount on top of the triple tree centered between the bars) many people mistake it for a factory option.

I've had three problems with my ZUMO. About 4 months ago on of the rubberized button on the left side came out. It looked as if it had crystalized the rube from usage. Garmin replaced it no questions and actually the unit was out of warranty. They replaced it no charge like a warranty repair.

Secondly....on rare occassion if you leave the ZUMO in direct sunlight and the unit gets hot it freezes up. The reset procedure won't even work. You have to remove the lithium ion battery and re-install it to boot. Then all is well. Only happened to me once.

Last whenI first got it the cradle had static in the audio output. Garmin replaced. Later I discovered nothing was wrong with the cradle. I was given a tip by aZUMO peer to clean the contacts on the cradle and the unit then apply a light coat of di-electric grease. Since then NO STATIC.

I rode with this unit from Casper Wy to Amarillo Tx for two days in rain so hard you could barely see. It is indeed waterproof. After that test I was totally secure in the fact the unt was impervious to rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, I appreciate the information and your comments. I will probably go with the Zumo 550 due to the fact that once I purchase the map update and the motorcycle mount for the Garmin 2730, I am only a few hundred dollars from the Garmin 550 price which includes 2010 maps and a motorcycle mount already.

I just wonder if the Zumo 550 price will continue to go down over the next few months??? :unsure:

I liked my 550, but it died after 1 1/2 yrs. When it quit working, I noticed an electric spring loaded brass pin was missing in the carrier, so Garmin sent me another during a long trip. Didn't fix the problem. If I send mine 550 in, for $150, I would get someone else's refurbished unit, with updated software, but NOT the maps. Only a 3 month warranty. I am presently experimenting with a 255w for $167 that I can just throw in my tank bag for occassional use.

As always, I appreciate the information and your comments. I will probably go with the Zumo 550 due to the fact that once I purchase the map update and the motorcycle mount for the Garmin 2730, I am only a few hundred dollars from the Garmin 550 price which includes 2010 maps and a motorcycle mount already.
I just wonder if the Zumo 550 price will continue to go down over the next few months??? :unsure:

Are you sure the mount supplied by Garmin for the 550 will fit the FJR out of the box? I needed to buy an aftermarket mount for my 550 two years ago. :blink:

I think the below motorcycle mount that comes with the Zumo 550 will attach to the Techmount that I purchased. If this is not correct, someone please let me know. Thanks, Dean

3caa793509a004157ff24110.L.jpg

The picture is sideways, but that looks like the cradle.

As to using it on a Techmount, if the holes don't match up you simply drill ones that do, though everything you need to mount on the bars (either side) coes in the kit - and to center mount the unit you can spend just $30 for RAM's system and a drilled and tapped stem nut from 'he who shal not be named' and then there's be no drilling required for certain.

As to the comment about the 2730 recalculating, that is because it had a different map version than the rest of the riders in the group - Garmin units do that.

Yes, the processor is faster on the 550 than the 2730 - but if the 2730 is 'within a couple of hundred' and since it includes the XM radio, you are well ahead of the game financially with the 2730 if you wanted to get XM..

Besides, if the 2730 comes with the latest maps (which NOH units (refurbished) are supposed to) it might already have the somewhat contentious 2010.10 or 2010.20 release on board. I'd expect nothingless than the 2009 - and for the most part things just don't change all that significantly from one year to the next in the world of map-updating.

Obviously the choice is yours, but it is best to have all of the details in hand.