Garmin 2820 is croaking!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
Almost 4 years ago, I stumbled onto a smokin' Amazon.com deal and bought a Garmin refurbished 2820 for like $210 in a sealed box with a Garmin 1 yr warranty and current maps. The unit has performed flawlessly up until now. I think similar to the Zumo 550 issue, my screen is taking a chit. Everything else about the unit functions as it should and I'm linked into an Autocom and have XM piped in through the GXM30 antennae. What happens is there is a gremlin that pushes buttons. While I'm riding, all of a sudden I'll hear it click, click, click and look down to see individual buttons on the screen actuating and sometimes the screen page changing. Ultimately it always seems to work it's way to the screen calibration prompt where I get caught up in an endless loop with the "Calibration Failed" after chasing the cursor around the screen. Whatever functions were active before the glitch continue functioning such as music or turn by turn navigation. I hear it, sometimes I just can't see it.

I'm thinking screen and after searching around a bit here, couldn't find if anyone has taken on a DIY repair of the screen as with the 550 Zumo or if that's even an option or whether maybe someone knows of a shop that can fix these problems. Garmin's site has finally started listing the 2820 as discontinued, of course, but also "No Service Repair Available"

Suggestions from anyone before I end up shit-canning this thing? I'd like a Zumo 550 but don't really want to buy a Zumo 550 right now but I gots to have a multi-tasking farkulator on board. <_<

This is a very simple problem to fix. There is dirt or other debris stuck between the edge of the screen and the case. You need to slide something in there to wipe the debris away. Whenever mine does this I use a piece of 35mm film to slide in there and clean that area. Presto! Good as new.

Your welcome and that will be $5. :D

This is a very simple problem to fix. There is dirt or other debris stuck between the edge of the screen and the case. You need to slide something in there to wipe the debris away. Whenever mine does this I use a piece of 35mm film to slide in there and clean that area. Presto! Good as new.

Your welcome and that will be $5. :D

geddafukouttahere? REALLY?!

Ok, first thing manana I'll bust out a piece of mylar and have a go at it. I'll let you know how that works!

Thanks!

...You need to slide something in there to wipe the debris away. Whenever mine does this I use a piece of 35mm film to slide in there ...
geddafukouttahere? REALLY?!...
I use the corner of a business card because I usually have one on hand. Use a swiping motion to bring the offending debris out of the gap. If this doesn't get the job done it is possible to take the case apart, remove the front bezel and clean around the edge of the digitizer.

IT is rumoured the 550 is no longer being serviced by Garmin either....... no replacement touch screens available for the 2xxx series that I know of. If there is a screen calibration screen for the 2820, try that too.

At least with the 550 you can can buy digitizer screens on ebaY...at least I thought you could from a thread here.

I pulled my case apart because I wasn't happy with just the dust particles I retrieved as recommended above. I got all the surfaces clean and treated all my waterproof gaskets with Arai's silicone conditioner and have reassembled. So far it appears to be alright! I'm going to go on a ride in a bit and give it the final test.

This will be WAY cool if it solves my problem! Thanks guys!

As long as the subject of a Streepilot 2820 is open, I notice mine does not have nearly the voice sound fidelity over the autocom as the Nuvi 765T. I have not tried it with music files. I have no idea if that is inherent in the Streetpilot, or if something might be able to be made better. Unit is fully updated and uses CN 2012.02 maps. I don't recall if I updated "Jill"

Same problem with mine, and a good wiping down of the screen and edges of the screen worked for me. I also make sure to clean the contacts on the back every now and then so they don't get crudded up with stuff while riding.

Good luck if you're trying to kill that GPS. It can SERIOUSLY take a lickin'.

Alexi