Garmin 2820

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizzyPower

Reaction score
Anyone have this unit yet? How does the XM work? Does the unit have a separate antenna for XM? Have you used the bluetooth feature and, if so, does it work well? TIA

It is my understanding that the XM "antenna" on all Garmin units is an external puck shaped disc, and..is not an antenna only, but is the entire XM reciever. Lose it and your out 250 bucks.

KM

It is my understanding that the XM "antenna" on all Garmin units is an external puck shaped disc, and..is not an antenna only, but is the entire XM reciever. Lose it and your out 250 bucks.
KM
Here's what it looks like mounted on my bike. This is a 2730, but the GXM30 antenna used for XM and traffic will be the same.

IMG_1521_1.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Thanks for the pics. That's a really nice setup. I'd heard the puck was the entire reciever. Thanks again

P.S. Not waiting for either model at this point, but maybe in the future!

Anyone have this unit yet? How does the XM work? Does the unit have a separate antenna for XM? Have you used the bluetooth feature and, if so, does it work well? TIA
I just installed the Garmin 2730 on my FJR1300AE. I used the TechMount Stemmount + Cycle Gadget Antenna bracket (https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-SP26) to mount it the FJR1300. I used the Cycle Gadget Antenna bracket because I switch the GPS between my GL1800 and FJR1300.

I'll try and post pictures next week AFTER I get everything done (still waiting on Corbin seat / Smuggler + H&B Top Case).

Best Regards,

Shane

The "downside" to the 2820 in my mind is that the bluetooth is only for voice directions and cell phone. You do not get the XM or MP3 audio via bluetooth.

I'd hoped it would be a true wireless integration solution to eliminate all cables to the helmet but not yet.

Be careful if you desire to use any of the XM features with a Garmin.

The 2820 does NOT come with the $250 XM "puck"

The 2730 DOES.

Some people think the 2820 was a price reduction (street prices) not retail.

Both can be had for around $800 if you shop around.

I got my 2730 from Amazon.com for ~$840

The XM puck has a serial number on it, this is what you have to give to XM when you pay for your subscription. It is both the XM antenna/receiver which feeds the traffic/music/limited weather to the main garmin unit.

IMHO, the 2820 bluetooth features do not warrant losing the included XM unit.

I recieved my Garmin 2820 a couple days ago. I still don't have my FJR-AE yet but the unit works well. I've placed it my in auto for the time being just to get familiar with it. You do have to purchase the GXM-30 seperately ( Street price $200 ). What makes the 2820 worth the extra $200 is the bluetooth connectivity for use with my cell phone. Eventually I'll be connecting everything together to a J&M CB/intercom/audio controller. The auxilary harness will still have to be used to connect the radar detector but the blutooth simplifies things a lot. Not to mention that the phone can be answered and dialed from the navigation touch screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

KM
Here's what it looks like mounted on my bike. This is a 2730, but the GXM30 antenna used for XM and traffic will be the same.

IMG_1521_1.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Where can I get the antenna mount you have? When I do a search I get and error code 80% of the time and cannot find where you got your mount.

I last saw it in the Vender offer section :) There is alot of other cool stuff there also. Ride safe!

The only problem with the blue tooth is that it is only good on your cell phone. If you use an autocom unless the divice has blue tooth you are screwed tmatch up all your devices. Then you can't use custom earmolds. Until everything is bluetooth and can be used for all your music, xm, phone and mp3's most are better off with the 2730. mp3, xm gps capable and comes with the xm puck.

Where can I get the antenna mount you have? When I do a search I get and error code 80% of the time and cannot find where you got your mount.
look in the "FJR Vendor Offers" section, actually Skyway makes these mounts for the GPS antenna.

I'm thinking this would be very cool for my next GPS unit. I really like the idea of it acting as my MP3 player as well as the GPS. Keeps the bar clutter to a minimum. I've got a J&M CB and this would feed into it quite nicely.

My only real question is how much storage does the unit have for the MP3 files. (1 Mb, 100Mb or what). And does it use a hard-drive or flash? I've looked on Garmins site but _none_ if their documents tell me how much memory the device has for music files. I've got my entire music collection converted to MP3's and they use about 30 Gb. So (including future expansion) I would really like to get something that can store around 30-40 Gb of files. Right now the only mp3 player I know of that will do this is the iPod video. (Which isn't a GPS).

Colin

I'm thinking this would be very cool for my next GPS unit. I really like the idea of it acting as my MP3 player as well as the GPS. Keeps the bar clutter to a minimum. I've got a J&M CB and this would feed into it quite nicely.
My only real question is how much storage does the unit have for the MP3 files. (1 Mb, 100Mb or what). And does it use a hard-drive or flash? I've looked on Garmins site but _none_ if their documents tell me how much memory the device has for music files. I've got my entire music collection converted to MP3's and they use about 30 Gb. So (including future expansion) I would really like to get something that can store around 30-40 Gb of files. Right now the only mp3 player I know of that will do this is the iPod video. (Which isn't a GPS).

Colin
Depending on how/if you want to play around with what maps are loaded on the unit you are looking at about 800MB to 1GB of space. This is one of the few limitations I can think of with this unit.

Removable/expandable cards are the answer & future.

Reason I still use my ipod, besides the fact I would have to convert all of my songs to MP3 anyway the extra storage and one single device for music is much easier for me.

2730 is flash based storage.

When you hook it to your computer it asks you what mode you want to use.

Storage or (other which slips my mind right now)

If you choose storage it shows up as a drive letter and you can see what is on the unit & how much space is free.

I got my 2730 from Amazon.com for ~$840 no tax no shipping

Pawtracks Good info, I'm , like Colin, in need of 30-40GB of music space. can the removable expandable cards you spoke of be plugged in to the 2730 as is? Weatherproof? Price for the 30 GB Ipod is $300., would these cards be cheaper or comparable?

Thanks from the digitally challenged.