Garmin 550 Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgapro78

Reaction score
My father upgraded to the Garmin 665 and handed me his 550. Just wondering if anyone out there has pics of their installations to their FJR or details of their installation. I would like to have it powered by the motorcycle and not just through the Cigarette (Accessory) Charger

Well, now comes decision time. Do I just wire the GPS or do I prepare for the addition of future electronics by adding an accessory fuze block? I would suggest the latter. Read up on fuze blocks here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...e++installation

If you decide to skip a fuze block and just wire the GPS, I'd go with power always hot instead of switched so that the GPS doesn't turn off at every gas stop or photo op. Trip data statistics are no good if the unit is turning off everytime you shut off the bike. Wiring is a simple as a direct connection to the battery. I've found the always hot wiring to be much more convienent.

A really good primer on wiring can be found at the Iron Butt Forum

https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts....59&KW=basic

My father upgraded to the Garmin 665 and handed me his 550. Just wondering if anyone out there has pics of their installations to their FJR or details of their installation. I would like to have it powered by the motorcycle and not just through the Cigarette (Accessory) Charger
I found this Click.

Try using a Google targeted search "search term site:fjrforum.com" it is pretty good at finding what you're looking for.

For the physical mounting part of the installation, I like the Techmount stem mount:

completed_bike_rider_view.jpg

completed_bike_side.jpg

It's Techmount part# 10998M (the shorter option).

As for wiring, I took the lazy way out and just hooked it up directly to my battery. I did shorten the wire to avoid coiling up extra wire somewhere on the bike.

Some people worry that the Zumo will drain their battery if it is wired directly to the battery, but I've never had any problems. I leave my Zumo on the bike all the time (but turned off, of course) and it has been on there for a couple weeks without riding sometimes at the beginning and end of winter. I do take it off the bike for the portion of winter that I rarely ride. I have even accidentally left the Zumo powered on while at work all day a few times without any problems.

Let me know if you want me to take some close-up pictures of anything, or describe anything with more detail. Those were just some old pics I could find that had the Zumo in them.

Let me know if you want me to take some close-up pictures of anything, or describe anything with more detail. Those were just some old pics I could find that had the Zumo in them.
3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3708483376_d76db4c70f.jpg

Stolen pic from another thread...similar to my install 'cept I have two balls on my clutch side mount which adds a RAM cup holder to it

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118171

IMG_0172s.jpg

google is your friend..."zumo mount site:fjrforum.com" with multi pages of threads

so just google search like this ?????? site:fjrforum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found the always hot wiring to be much more convienent.

Keep in mind that if you wire it directly to the battery, that it will be charging the Zumo's battery even when the bike is off - might be a recipe for a dead motorcycle battery in the morning.

I have mine wired into the running light circuit, so it turns on and off with the key. If you want to have it stay on once in a while for a short time, the zumo will ask you if you want to continue on battery power when you shut off your bike.

I have mine mounted on the Techmount stem mount just like UselessPickles shows in his photo. I tried the handlebar/reservoir mount first and didn't like it at all. I have mine wired into a Fuzeblock w/switched power but before I mounted the Fuzeblock I had it wired into switched power from the unused grip heat connector that can be found among the wires under the glove box.

I never hook anything into direct power to the battery (except for the battery tender pigtail) as IMO you are just asking for a dead battery at some point. Also as mferriter pointed out, even on switched power the Zumo gives you 30 seconds to decide whether you want it to continue to run on its internal battery after you shut off power to the bike. I usually do this at gas stops or other short stops rather than having the Zumo have to go through the whole boot sequence again and re-acquire satellites.

Wired direct is the best way to prevent multiple boot-up issues. No problem if you leave it on, it draws very little. Battery will be charged when you return from your trip, no worries. Done this for 3 years on 3 different bikes.

However, invest in some preventative maintenance. Put some liquid (spray) contact cleaner with lube on the cradle pins and work them up and down to get the stuff down past the pins. They do corrode, so do this a couple of times per year. Take the battery out, clean/lube it also and the contacts, it will prevent that occasional "won't power up, gotta remove and reinstall the battery" issue.

If you find some of the buttons "stick" (stay yellow) at the bottom of the touch screen, chances are there is a build-up of fine dirt or a piece of grit between the front cover and the screen (you won't be able to see it). Using a T-6 torx, remove the 8 screws on the back, top cover, and carefully remove the front cover so you don't unplug the ribbons from the main board (no problem if you do, just a pain to reinstall, might need 3 hands). Conectors have locking bars. Remove 4 phillips screws from back of screen. Clean with lens cleaner or isopropanol and Q-tip, reassemble. IF that don't work, order a replacement digitizer on ebay. Or if you like spending $150, send it to Garmin for a refurbed unit.

Keep in mind that if you wire it directly to the battery, that it will be charging the Zumo's battery even when the bike is off - might be a recipe for a dead motorcycle battery in the morning.

I never hook anything into direct power to the battery (except for the battery tender pigtail) as IMO you are just asking for a dead battery at some point.

Like I already said...

Some people worry that the Zumo will drain their battery if it is wired directly to the battery, but I've never had any problems. I leave my Zumo on the bike all the time (but turned off, of course) and it has been on there for a couple weeks without riding sometimes at the beginning and end of winter. I do take it off the bike for the portion of winter that I rarely ride. I have even accidentally left the Zumo powered on while at work all day a few times without any problems.
Yes, the Zumo will draw power from the battery in "standby" mode (off) to recharge the battery, but that's only necessary if the battery is not fully charged. If you've been riding around with the Zumo hard-wired to your bike, then it's most likely going to be fully charged when you turn your bike off.

If you are in danger of draining your bike's battery by leaving your Zumo hard-wired to your bike overnight, then you probably already had something wrong with your electrical system that put you very close the tipping point (bad battery, bad alternator, other hardwired items that actually do draw a significant amount of power from the battery, etc).

I never hook anything into direct power to the battery (except for the battery tender pigtail) as IMO you are just asking for a dead battery at some point.
Yes I realize that the Zumo draws very little power but my point was that anything you have directly connected to the battery has the potential to drain the battery if you leave it on (by mistake). I'm not just talking about overnight. Sometimes my bike is parked in the garage for weeks. So I'm just sayin I like to err on the side of caution and know that when the bike is off...so are all the accessories.

If you are in danger of draining your bike's battery by leaving your Zumo hard-wired to your bike overnight, then you probably already had something wrong with your electrical system that put you very close the tipping point (bad battery, bad alternator, other hardwired items that actually do draw a significant amount of power from the battery, etc).
+1

Wire it straight to the battery and forget it. Bigger things to worry about....