Garmin 665 XM Reception

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlingBling

Reaction score
I recently installed a new Garmin 665 GPS. I bought this for the MP3 player satalite radio GPS and Blue Tooth capabilities. The unit works great on all sytems except the XM radio. I have a hard time getting a clean consitant signal. This GPS comes with a huge signal antenna. I guess for recieving weather also. I have Garmin GPS also in three cars with a much smaller antenna and with no reception problems. I intalled the antenna in the front break fluid reservoir so I have no obstuctions. I have checked the cables and they are all secure and pluged in. does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix.

Thanks Doug

There is no 'XM Radio' in the Garmn GPS unit itself. It's all in the 'antenna' or puck. The GPS just acts as an interface. You need to make sure that the puck or XM radio antenna has clear view of the sky.

I've never heard of reception problems with the Garmin XM puck. If you continue to have problems, I would call Garmin.

You may also want to make sure you have a good ground. You may consider adding a grounding strap to the antenna itself right to the frame.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed a new Garmin 665 GPS. I bought this for the MP3 player satalite radio GPS and Blue Tooth capabilities. The unit works great on all sytems except the XM radio. I have a hard time getting a clean consitant signal. This GPS comes with a huge signal antenna. I guess for recieving weather also. I have Garmin GPS also in three cars with a much smaller antenna and with no reception problems. I intalled the antenna in the front break fluid reservoir so I have no obstuctions. I have checked the cables and they are all secure and pluged in. does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix.Thanks Doug
Hello Doug,

This is a well known and previously documented problem. Blue tooth interferes with the GXM40 antenna provided with the Zumo 665. It is recommended that the antenna be placed at least 20 inches away from the Zumo. This is primarily due to the poor isolation of the antenna, as it's a non-issue with the GXM30. I have disabled the BT function on the Zumo (my antenna is mounted on the brake reservoir like yours) and now I get 3 bars XM reception. I have also tried moving the antenna to the rear of the bike and that worked too. Of course disabling the BT function defeats the purpose of buying the 665 in the first place.

This brings me to the sore subject of how poor the 665 is. Zumo forums have plenty of info on the above issue and many more. It truly is a prime example how a POS can be released and people like me and you would still spend a ridiculous amount of money on it. Sorry, my friend, but, like me, you've been had. All you can do is hope that firmware update might help fix some of the bugs or may be Garmin would send us a redesigned/better insulated antenna. Sam

Thanks Sam

What you have said is the first thing that makes sense in this situation. Garmin contacted me and had me load the newest update. This seems to have helped some but not all together great. I cant belive Garmin would make a motoercycle GPS and not understand where the puck would be placed, its not like we have sooooo much room or a lot of options with the sise of the puck. Anyway I will continue to work with Garmin and you guys to get the problem solved, this was an expensive investment to just trash.

Thanks Doug