Garmin GPS III Plus vs GPS III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A GPS V has sunset/sunrise info on it as well. They are getting pretty old now and should also be cheap.
I just updated the software on my old one last month, so they are still supported by Garmin.
+ 1 on the GPS V. I was running the GPS V as my 3rd GPS during the IB5K. I have the V set up on the stats screen with the Sunrise and Sunset times displayed. The stats screen on the V is highly user customizable. As well as the sunrise and sunset times, I also have the average speed displayed and a countdown timer which is a very nice feature. The V has a detailed compass as well as the date and time and GPS co-ordinates permanently displayed on the bottom of the display. I leave the time on my V set for EDT and record all bonus and fuel times using the date and time as indicated on the screen. Basically you can set-up the V the way you want it and have it display all required nformation without having to play with it. The V has a calculator as well which was very useful during the rally.

Purchased my V on E-Bay with a Touratech mount for $70.00.

I use a 2820 bluetoothed to my cell phone as my main routing GPS. The 2820 is set for my next bonus location. I have a Zumo 550 which I have set for the next checkpoint or timed big anchor point bonuses. I like the user interface on the Zumo which allows for route analysis and changes while riding (note I still prefer the 2820 to the Zumo 550 and that is why the 550 is my secondary routing GPS). That said, there have been a few times where the GPS signal drops out on the 2820, but the Zumo will hang in and keep me rolling. The V is alway left on the stats screen and is not used for any routing. I do not use the stats screen on the 2820 or zumo other than reseting the odometers. The V is compact.

Another alternative you may want to consider is the Garmin Quest. I have a Garmin Quest and a Quest 2. The Quest is probably the most compact motorcycle GPS available but it has a very small display screen. Its data screen is customizable and it does display Sunset and Sunrise times. It has a built in battery and can be removed and used if needed off the bike. Drawback is that it has no countdown timer, calculator and its data display screen is not as useful as the V.

Perry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Perry! Congrats on the IB5K! Going to run in The Show this June?

Hey! You need to post some pics of your highly farkle-ized FJR. What a sight to behold it was. A pleasure meeting you in Denver.

Pleasure meeting you in Denver as well! I will get off my lazy butt and post some pictures of the FJR asap. Glad you liked it!

Definitely going to run in the Show!

Last edited by a moderator: