Garmin GPS Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhb820

Reaction score
I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS and am trying to determine the best mount to use. Does anyone have suggestions on the best option? Thanks.

The mount system that Bram mentioned above is very close to what I have. It works well, but it would be nice to have the GPS a bit higher. Personally, I beleve that I am going to try a dash shelf: Dash Shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
Techmount FJR1300 stem GPS mount

RAM QD p;\late m/f

RAM Nuvi 14xx mount

Easy on and off, very secure, and I can easily swap to different devices, or move them to to other bikes.

Overkill but...

RAM Mount Motorcycle Handle Base with Dual 1 inch Ball

Qty: 2 ea. Price: $19.95

SKU: RAMB309-2 MODEL: RAM-B-309-2U

RAM Mount M10 x 1.25 Pitch Male Thread on 1 inch Ball

Qty: 1 ea. Price: $9.95

SKU: RAMB349 MODEL: RAM-B-349U

RAM Mount Rectangular 1.5 x 3 inch Plate on 1 inch Ball

Qty: 1 ea. Price: $13.95

SKU: RAMB202-153 MODEL: RAM-B-202U-153

RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U

Qty: 3 ea. Price: $11.95

SKU: RAMB201 MODEL: RAM-B-201U

RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U

Qty: 2 ea. Price: $5.95

SKU: RAMB238 MODEL: RAM-B-238U

RAM Mount Apple iPod Touch 4G Cradle RAM-HOL-AP10U

Qty: 1 ea. Price: $8.20

SKU: RAMHOLAP10 MODEL: RAM-HOL-AP10U

RAM Mount Aqua Box Cradle Wide RAM-HOL-AQ6U

Qty: 1 ea. Price: $37.95

SKU: RAMHOLAQ6 MODEL: RAM-HOL-AQ6U

3BR Powersports Garmin USB Tapp Capp to miniUSB Power Cable 18 Inches

Qty: 1 ea. Price: $21.95

SKU: 3BRUSBTMINI18 MODEL: 202-0040-18

I installed 2 USB power sockets on the bars for power to charge the iPod and the Garmin, but had to buy the Tapp power cable because Garmins automatically go into USB synch mode unless you use a "special" cable. This is my music set-up as well. I attach an amp to the plate using industrial velcro. :)

-worney

Call me a cheapskate but all I have is a tall aftermarket screen on my Gen1 FJR with a standard Garmin mount on the inside on which I attach a standard Garmin Nuvi 765WT.

In all the latest non-stop rain that the UK & Eire have been “enjoying” it has not been a problem. All I needed to do was reinforce the black plastic mounting disc with some 3M sticky patches to make sure that it would stay on the inside of the screen, and the normal suction cap has sat there no matter the terrain, speed or weather.

I did initially use a waterproof cover but found that I couldn’t read it well enough so removed it; and I can if I want attach it to my helmet intercom with a flexi audio lead; (but have never needed to, as a picture paints a 1000 words) .

I have a fused cigarette type power takeoff with the Garmin socket taped into it, all wrapped & tucked out of harms way under the fairing. Cheap as chips!

:yahoo:

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS and am trying to determine the best mount to use. Does anyone have suggestions on the best option? Thanks.
I just installed my Nuvi 1490LMT and love the install.

I have the MCL billet triple tree with the stem nut drilled for a Ram ball.

Ram-B-236 Ball (locktite in place)

Ram-B-201 Arm (3") Provides perfect height below gauge cluster. (5" if you want it higher)

Ram-B-238 Plate (adapter plate for cradle to arm)

Ram Cradle for Nuvi 14XX

Very stable and nestled between bars. Just add a ziplock for quick rain protection.

Ed

The mount system that Bram mentioned above is very close to what I have. It works well, but it would be nice to have the GPS a bit higher. Personally, I beleve that I am going to try a dash shelf: Dash Shelf
Is there a pic anywhere of this installed on the bike? I am very interested in this, it looks very good but I am having a hard time imagining how it would actually fit.

Is there a pic anywhere of this installed on the bike? I am very interested in this, it looks very good but I am having a hard time imagining how it would actually fit.
Here are my pics.

P1000584.jpg

P1000583.jpg

P1000582.jpg

P1000581.jpg