Garmin GXM 30 / 40 antenna

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my GPS and I am curious where you guys mounted the GXM antenna. I have the dash shelf but I plan to take it off. I was going to look to see if there was any place under the fairing. I am really into clean installs and getting all the crap out of the way so I hate doing ugly things like mounting it on top of the master cylinder...etc...any recomendations?

The XM antenna has to have a clear view to the sky. I have lost radio reception with steep canyon walls and trees along the road. You'll never get reliable reception burying it into the fairing. I have it on the master cylinder, but I suppose anyplace it has a clear view to the sky would be okay.

The XM antenna has to have a clear view to the sky. I have lost radio reception with steep canyon walls and trees along the road. You'll never get reliable reception burying it into the fairing. I have it on the master cylinder, but I suppose anyplace it has a clear view to the sky would be okay.
I am familiar with that requirement, however, only metal items get in the way of reception, plastic doesnt. I have ran the antenna under the plastic of the front fairing of my BMW RT before without any ill effects and got full strength signal. Just curious if theres enough room to do the same.

I am getting ready to install my GPS and I am curious where you guys mounted the GXM antenna. I have the dash shelf but I plan to take it off. I was going to look to see if there was any place under the fairing. I am really into clean installs and getting all the crap out of the way so I hate doing ugly things like mounting it on top of the master cylinder...etc...any recomendations?
Mine is mounted under the pillion seat, close to the rear tail cone. It works great, even with a Givi V46 top case,and it's a very clean installation.

Mine is mounted under the pillion seat, close to the rear tail cone. It works great, even with a Givi V46 top case,and it's a very clean installation.
Sounds like an excellent choice

It doesn't exist/didn't happen without photos..........

There is a RAM mount for the XM30 antenna. I bought mine from Whitehorse Gear and it is item 348, Magnetic antenna plate, for $6.50. It attaches to my RAM mount for my Garmin and I attach all of this to a stem RAM ball with an arm (short one normally and long one when I use a tank bag). Whitehorse Gear seems to have the largest variety of RAM mounts.

img3058uv.jpg

I did mine like this on a home-made mount, but it's probably too ugly for you.

Mine is velco'd to the top of a RAM mount. The RAM mount is fastened the left handle bar, just to the right of the turn signal switch housing. The mounting position is functional, while keeping the antenna clear of the gauges and such.

Mine is mounted on the clutch reservoir, using a bracket sold by an old Forum member who isn't active anymore (either on the Forum or as a fabricator). It's a round aluminum disk, about 2mm (1/8") deep, and perfectly sized for the bottom of the GXM-30. You remove the screws from the clutch reservoir cover, put the disk on top, and then screw it down using slightly longer screws that hold both the bracket and the original reservoir cover in place. The disk has holes on the bottom that match up the the little threaded mounting holes on the bottom of the GXM-30, and you use screws that pass up from the bottom of the disk into the bottom of the GXM. It is a totally secure mount, and it's a huge pain to remove the small screws that hold the GXM onto the bracket without the right tool, so you don't have to worry about anyone removing the GXM from the bike. (Even with the right tool it's still a pain.)

It works really well -- with the V-1 on the brake reservoir and the Zumo on the steering nut, everything is far enough away from each other that there's no interference, but still within easy reach, and with nothing to obstruct the XM signal.

Unfortunately, new ones haven't been offered for almost 5 years now...