Garmin map update 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Just passing it along....

Garmin is pleased to announce the new Map Update 2009 for North America. For the most up-to-date maps and navigation on your portable Garmin GPS unit, this is the software you want. This $69.99 update offers full coverage for the U.S, Canada and Puerto Rico - making it easy and convenient to update the detailed maps and latest points of interest into your compatible Garmin unit.
The update includes:

* Over 8 million miles of road coverage

* Updated, fully routable, detailed maps for the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

* Nearly 6 million points of interest

* Postal code support for Canada

Purchase the Map Update 2009 today!

These updates aren't sequential, are they? If I wait until 2010 to do an update, I don't have to first have 2009 installed, do I?

I am still running the software that came with my now antique Street Pilot Three and I haven't got lost yet...least not on the bike. Of course I have to put up with Greata Garmin droning "Off Route, Recalculating" while on the 210 east of the 60 and at other times when on roads that were not there back in the Pleistocene and the Canadian coverage is limited, too. Oh, and the SPIII can't hold all the maps, anyway. Can you say 128MB chips? My $70 is going in the cookie jar toward the "Zumo V".

I stuck this in my shopping cart on Amazon.Com a couple of weeks ago to make a decision on whether to buy or not. It was $61.95 or at that time. I just checked it and it is now $55.99 with free super save shipping. Looks like the best deal I have found so far.

I'm just getting into the GPS world and recently picked up a new series Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS (with 2008 map data) and it also included this latest 2009 map version on CD.

I have been unsuccessful in loading this update and continually get readouts that the GPS has insufficient memory to load the map update. I also have an additional 2 GB SD card installed.

Do I need a larger SD card installed or is this basic GPS not able to load map updates? I find it difficult to believe that Garmin would sell this GPS packaged with the map update knowing that the GPS unit was not capable of using it. Have to assume operator error here.

I checked with the Garmin website and it was little help. Is there a more detailed description of this map update loading process available?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just getting into the GPS world and recently picked up a new series Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS (with 2008 map data) and it also included this latest 2009 map version on CD.
I have been unsuccessful in loading this update and continually get readouts that the GPS has insufficient memory to load the map update. I also have an additional 2 GB SD card installed.

Do I need a larger SD card installed or is this basic GPS not able to load map updates? I find it difficult to believe that Garmin would sell this GPS packaged with the map update knowing that the GPS unit was not capable of using it. Have to assume operator error here.

I checked with the Garmin website and it was little help. Is there a more detailed description of this map update loading process available?

If you bought the unit legitimately through a dealer then a phone call to will likely do the trick. I had some issues with maps etc and they talked me through it easily. 1-800-800-2010 I think.

I bought a New Zumo 550 in early spring I was eligable for free 2009 maps so i got them can't see any differance from 2008 maps. But they were free

Your GPS will not hold the old maps and the new maps at the same time. You have to delete the old ones and then install the new ones, a call to Garmin support may help you to get that done. Or there may be instructions with your updated map DVD.

Does anyone know: if I bought a new Zumo, would it have this update installed, or do we have to wait until all of last year's models are sold?

I stuck this in my shopping cart on Amazon.Com a couple of weeks ago to make a decision on whether to buy or not. It was $61.95 or at that time. I just checked it and it is now $55.99 with free super save shipping. Looks like the best deal I have found so far.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just got the same deal.

I have a 2610 that I use in the car and a 2730 mounted on the FJR.

Can I update both units with the same Map Update 2009 software?

Does anyone know: if I bought a new Zumo, would it have this update installed, or do we have to wait until all of last year's models are sold?
I recently got my 550 and it had the 2008 version. However, the 2009 update was free through Garmin. It is a long download and you need to remove the 2008 version for it to fit. The program walks you through it.

I have a 2610 that I use in the car and a 2730 mounted on the FJR.
Can I update both units with the same Map Update 2009 software?
Bill, did you ever find out if you can use the same update on two units?
No (for the most part), each map update you buy will generate a unique unlock code that is only good for one unit.

If you want to update the second one you will have to pay for another unlock code.

Not always as bad as buying two complete copies (price wise) but still much more than a single copy.

I say "for the most part" because there are a few map products that did ship with the ability to unlock up to two units.

I own at least one - Mapsource Europe NT.

The confusing part is how often Garmin changes their policy, exceptions they make and then come out with new stuff like Lifetime maps.

With the new lifetime product I am guessing they just want you to pay an extra $100-125 per unit.

Garmin maps are definitely a YMMV adventure.

Their site has quite a few FAQ's to wade through and to read many of them you have to have a mygarmin account.