Garmin Map Updating - Does it suck or is it me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the GPS tries to route you to off then back on a divided highway, the highway data at that location is likely corrupt. While the highway may appear continuous on the GPS screen, one segment of the highway isn't connected to the next segment at that location, so it finds a way by it. I've found a couple of such errors and posted them online via their Report A Map Error link (https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces). The errors are eventually corrected.

I have found that most times- when I get a glitch, it's on multiple devices, supporting what you said, Bakerboy. Hud- I only run my phones (both are iPhone 7's) on max bright, off auto, except at night, and find lots of times where visibility is limited or the screen is unreadable. Part of that is due to the fact that I wear sunglasses on sunny days (usually non-polarized). Even the big ass garmin screen on full bright isn't, well, bright in direct sunlight. While my new 595LM is milk already spilled, I must admit that it shows that life was simple and I was getting by just fine with iphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is usually a result of preferences set to "shortest distance".Try using "fastest time" instead.
I've been using Garmin marine, handheld, aviation, and vehicle gps units for over 20 yrs now...I know fastest vs shortest..but thanks for the advice.

I bought a rather pricey 595lm. . . . My map/software updates take about 2 hours. I just use the updater from the website.
FWIW, I was forced into a new computer recently. (Really long overdue but I digress.) It used to take over an hour to update BC and my 590 with the old machine. Garmin's recent update was the first I've done using this new machine and it took under 15 minutes. Pleasantly surprised.

Garmin just Installed in the lap top, a newer program for updating: version 5.4.1.0

For my 590LM, it just updated and reloaded the entire US in about 55 minutes (20 MG speed).

As for maps and space, it's my understanding that the machine will automatically go to the card if need be.

There's nothing to change / enter..

I was updating a Nuvi 765T and Garmin Express asked me if I wanted to load to unit or SD card. When I did the Zumo, it just said there wasn't enough space and asked if I wanted to load regions instead of the whole thing.

I was updating a Nuvi 765T and Garmin Express asked me if I wanted to load to unit or SD card. When I did the Zumo, it just said there wasn't enough space and asked if I wanted to load regions instead of the whole thing.
My old SPIII was like that.

The 590 (forgot what size card I have in there), hasn't used all the memory built into the unit.

I put all my music albums on the card (had to exchange the entire a couple times due to issues) so simply swapping the card

saved me re-loading a bunch of music..

Well after the third try my zumo 660 finally got the lifetime map update installed. It wasn't garmins fault but the first two times it errored out due to my computor going to sleep after 20 minutes. The third attempt I made sure the PC stayed active (Late Night) and it was successful. I am sure it would have installed the first time if that didn't happen. Also when I signed up for my account I checked the box for them to send me information. I checked my email before the install and I received a code for 10% off purchase. So I got 10% off on my lifetime map purchase. I thought I would mention it for others that are considering updating also. It will be nice to go through Providence RI without the GPS telling me I am lost and rerouting me several times. So I have 2019.20 maps installed.

Edit: Now my Ford needs an update. Only thing is they want $345.00, That ain't happening.

Dave

I had really long 595 update times. Figured out it didn’t like the cable I was using. Using a different cable cut update time ok half.

It was about an hour and a half for the update to install. I am not sure if that is good or bad. I am just happy it worked.

Dave

I have noticed, when there is an update, my 590 (and my 2350-SUV), start acting "strange".

"Strange" in that names of streets DON'T LOAD as normal. Their blank...

Plug into the computer, make sure I have the latest version of the "Garmin program", then update.

It's rare it takes more than an hour for everything to load (again at 20 MGB of speed)

I got a zumo 595 not long ago. My nuvi 780 works perfectly fine but I'm tired of the need for baggies that I can't read through sometimes. The octopus cable itself is a big PITA but I keep trying different stuff. I am NOT a comms guy so no Bluetooth headaches, no audio or mic in. Just audio out in case I want to hear turn instructions via earbuds (normally I don't) and usb for charging the phone. That's it.

The first time I used the 595 it drove me bat shit crazy, wanting to send me down railroad tracks, through fenced cattle fields and even through a river. I got some good advice from -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk, although some wasn't so helpful. Now I've got my zumo set up to act sensibly like my older nuvi: adding a via point is easy, recalculation is seamless, routing and waypoints are dead on.

One of the things there was the bugs of NA 2019.10. That update was quickly followed by 2019.20 and that helped a lot. What I typically do for updating is to change my laptop setting for screen/power off and update just the gps. Once that's done, using options, I update my laptop. This takes me about 2 hrs, doing both at the same time is 3 times that at least.

I've come to appreciate my lifetime maps after I called my dealer and found out what they want for a CD to update my cars map. Think I'm going on Amazon to see if I can get it cheaper there.

My nuvi 780 works perfectly fine but I'm tired of the need for baggies that I can't read through sometimes. The octopus cable itself is a big PITA but I keep trying different stuff. .
On my FZ6 (Faired), the battery is centered under the fuel tank. Pictured below, I wound up the

"octopus" fairly tightly and zip tied inside the fairing (under the side flat panels).

I too just ran the speaker cord around the front of the fairing coming out on the left side of the fairing. As for the positive line, I tapped into the directional RUNNING light so it's ONLY powered when the bike is running (or key on).

Garmin Express and Base Camp started failing catastrophically (halt with message including an obscure error code - no hope of restart). I had a go-'round with Garmin over this. Their line was "not us, take your computer to tech for repair." Honest!

I came up with a good fix: run in Win7 compatibility mode. Garmin seems to have realized the problem was really theirs, although the update change history conveniently omits this.

I run two map sets:North America and Europe. Both require some selection of areas. Sorry you get left out, Yukon, anywhere south of the US/Mex. border. In Europe, sorry, UK, Scotland, and Ireland, you've been Brexited. Overall, Germany and the area around it got the nod because that where we drive or might drive. NA goes into the 660 memory and my chunk of Europe goes onto an SD. Download times are acceptable.

I only connect the 660 directly. In general, USB distributors are a problem for anything that's smarter than mice, trackballs, and keyboards.

Base Camp and the 660 are a train wreck for extended routes with shaping points. In Switzerland, I set up a route that began with St. Gotthard Pass.The cool thing about this pass is the original, cobblestone roadway is still open and maintained. I set up a route to pick up "La Tremola" at the bottom of the pass, only a few miles from where I was staying. The 660 ignored the turnoff and sent me up the pass, where I finally got back onto La Tremola. But wait, it gets worse. Coming down the other side of the pass, the 660 wanted to send me up a cow trail (honest!), any number of side roads that included the entrance to an Italian military facility. I'd set the 660 for "ask me" route changes. I spent entirely too much time pushing "NO" and still being sent well of the pre-loaded route. And this was only the first of six days of GPS hell.

While I still have the 660 mounted, it's mostly as a running map where I can change the scale. Maps/Waze are pathetic on this point. For anyone wanting an Android map app that looks for curve-rich riding, check out Kurviger.

Dip in around 10:00 to see the cobblestone road. It's a little intimidating until it's obvious traction isn't a problem. Unless the road's wet - forget it!

One of the biggest things I found for newer Garmins when wanting to follow a specific pre-determined route: switch from motorcycling to automobiling. Wasn't bad back in the MapSource days when off-roading was just that. Nowadays Garmin's Base Camp includes pastures, rivers, railroad tracks, etc. as part of motorcycling.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Because the 660 was clueless, missing the start of La Tremola, at a point where a U turn was not wise - that was a big disappointment.

Yeah, my 595 tried to send me places I wouldn't take a pet goat, all with the preset purple route line "over there", going in another direction. The fenced pastures and railroad tracks were bad enough but fording the river was beyond my tolerance level. Made for a disappointing ride but I learned a lot about the new-to-me POS PITA that day. I've used it several times since and it follows my route perfectly, recalculates seamlessly, etc. Even adding another via point on the fly is easier now. I wasn't sure I was going to keep it after my first adventure but it's turning out to be fine.