Garmin Sunshade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a snap on sunshade for the Garmin 2730 that is made out of plastic? I have found companies that carry the wrap around housings in aluminum or plastic but I don't need something to hold the GPS that is more expensive than the GPS itself. I also see that there are soft shades but it seems like they would blow off at excessive speed. I seem to remember a picture recently of someones bike with the soft shade but can't seem to find it (Iggy maybe?).

I checked the usual, Sportbikeffects, Cyclegadgets, etc....but to no avail :dntknw:

Does anybody know of a snap on sunshade for the Garmin 2730 that is made out of plastic? I have found companies that carry the wrap around housings in aluminum or plastic but I don't need something to hold the GPS that is more expensive than the GPS itself. I also see that there are soft shades but it seems like they would blow off at excessive speed. I seem to remember a picture recently of someones bike with the soft shade but can't seem to find it (Iggy maybe?).
I checked the usual, Sportbikeffects, Cyclegadgets, etc....but to no avail :dntknw:
I have a soft one for my SPIII. Pretty well secured in 4 spots with velcro, not likely to blow off unless you mount it on top of the windscreen. With the Techmount steering nut mount, it ain't goin' nowheres. I'll see if I can find the supplier again, got it on EBay quite reasonably.

Last edited by a moderator:
The soft shade from Cyclegadgets will not blow off at any speed that the FJR is capable of. I'm sure that any shade will not blow off if held with velcro.

The soft shade from Cyclegadgets will not blow off at any speed that the FJR is capable of. I'm sure that any shade will not blow off if held with velcro.
That is indeed the one I bought-thought it was off Ebay. In any case, it's a good one.

Alright great. Thanks guys thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn't want to be smoking down the interstate and have that thing wrapped around my face. I see the one on EBAY that you are talking about Radman, the "Glarestomper"....Can I assume that thats it?

I couldn't find the damn thing on Cyclegadgets this morning but I'll take another look.

I seem to remember a picture recently of someones bike with the soft shade but can't seem to find it (Iggy maybe?).
I appreciate the vote of search prowess, but this is a timely question I was asking myself personally ;) And I don't personally remember this being talked about before....or at least anytime recently.

I've got a metal shade and although it does it's job of shade very well....it tends to block satellite signals and I was thinking either an external antennae or a non-metal shade. I now have two options!

Thanks for bringing up the question.

It's there at Cyclegadgets, just hard to find. Hit the folliwing link which gets you to their search page and enter "sun sheild" as your key word. That will bring up two sunshade products for different Garmin GPS.

GPS Sunshades

SS-26_thumb.jpg

It's there at Cyclegadgets, just hard to find. Hit the folliwing link which gets you to their search page and enter "sun sheild" as your key word. That will bring up two sunshade products for different Garmin GPS.
GPS Sunshades

SS-26_thumb.jpg
Hey, don't forget what happened on the last "search" thread.... :crazy: And before I could even jump in with some radisms. I always miss out on the fun. Axe, if you weren't such a n00b...oh, wait. Umm, Skat, if you would just help with a link or.....ummm. Fuk it.

Gosh dammit! I got to get my eyes checked. I swear I didn't see that "product search" link at cyclegadgets, probably because I was scanning for "search". Now I need a friggen search function to find the search function. :blind:

Gosh dammit! I got to get my eyes checked. I swear I didn't see that "product search" link at cyclegadgets, probably because I was scanning for "search". Now I need a friggen search function to find the search function. :blind:
I believe that cateye77 on this board also does a sunshade. If I had known when I ordered my dash shelf I would have got one.

You can make one easily out of Kydex and a heatgun.

any shape / any size.

It is the same stuff all the "plastic" the inside of your car is made out of.

small sheets can be bought from knife/sheath making sites on the web.

occassionally ebay will have some for sale.

0.060 to 0.080 thickness will work fine (thicker is probably better)

can buy 4x8 sheets of it from San Diego Plastics ( https://www.sdplastics.com )

see tutorials on kydex and supplies at www.northcoastknives.com

i have no affiliation with either site.

You can make one easily out of Kydex and a heatgun.any shape / any size.

It is the same stuff all the "plastic" the inside of your car is made out of.

small sheets can be bought from knife/sheath making sites on the web.

occassionally ebay will have some for sale.

0.060 to 0.080 thickness will work fine (thicker is probably better)

can buy 4x8 sheets of it from San Diego Plastics ( https://www.sdplastics.com )

see tutorials on kydex and supplies at www.northcoastknives.com

i have no affiliation with either site.
Hmmm, that sounds like an interesting way to go. Thanks for the tip.

Here is a LINK to North Coast Knives tutorial on working with Kydex that 6MMBR was talking about.

I've had mine on 2 different GPS models and haven't had any trouble. Of course, I don't travel in the stratospheric speed that some of you visit. :dribble: I promise! :blink: No, really! :unsure: Even with Skyway's windshield spacers on my '05.

I'm getting really good at resetting the "Max Speed" on my GPS while riding down the road.....

if you want the cheapest solution -- get some craft foam from walmart $0.33 / sheet.

Cut to fit, then, velcro in place.

tip: fold the foam sheet in half with 3M double sided tape -- use the folded edge for the lip.

Mines been on for about 6 months -- no probs.

Touratech carries the same one as cyclegadgets, for a few $$ less. Though they show as back ordered at the moment.

https://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search.l...ade&=Search

When I ordered a mount from them a while back, it was shown as back ordered, and they said it would be several weeks, but it showed up a couple of days later. I think they get shipments in quite often.

These are the same velcro dot holders that everyone else has described. The shade's not likely to fly off. Touratech lists them as tested to 135MPH.

Jeff

if you want the cheapest solution -- get some craft foam from walmart $0.33 / sheet.

Rickster, great idea but couldn't find the "craft foam" at WallyWorld, no employee seemed to know about it. Do you remember the name on the package?

TIA Ian, Iowa

Having purchased a Streetpilot 2730, now looking into a sun/glare shield.

Seen the "GlareStomper" on some sites and now the shields that were shown above from CycleGadgets.

Noticed the GlareStomper is available in 2 styles, one that just goes around the screen, and one that is "full coverage" similar to the one from Cyclegadgets.

Any issues using the control buttons on the gps with the full-coverage shield?