Garmin Zumo is the Shizzle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at a Zumo to replace my 2720 but I hate these friggin' touch screens!
In the cage they're fine, but on a motorcycle that gets ridden regardless of weather it's a pain in the ass to clean the screen while the unit is in use.

I really want a 276C, but I would miss the street names feature. Turn right in 500' just doesn't cut it anymore.
You should play with one, it works pretty well even with gloves on.

The Zumo is the chit. I used the TomTom Rider on a trip down from Alaska (on a V-Strom) this year and didn't care for it, especially it's OEM mount. Something about the UI left me wanting more and it's maps weren't spot on. I was able to use the Zumo around town, and on a quick 3 day ride over to Idaho (from Seattle) and it was brilliant. Wish I had your set up for it on my FJR, very nice rigging DailyCommuter and Renegade. I'm inspired, maybe time to farkle the FJR a bit more.

I just ran mine down the stem and attached the fused link to the battery.
I've got the 450, had it for well over a year now. Didn't need or want the XM radio or traffic radio options-which still cost even more to add and more to subscribe, on top of an almost $200 difference between the 450 and 550 to simply allow the add ons-and it works great.

Though recently it insists on taking me on back roads and avoiding highways, it's been doing this since after the last firmware update. It's set to "faster time" but on a recent trip to Sacramento it shoved me thru 6 miles of back roads to get to a hotel instead of taking me up the freeway two more exits where the destination was less than a block off the freeway. I'd taken the same trip once when the device was new and it properly guided me along the freeway route instead of the tour of the industrial/wrong side of the tracks part of town.

Go to your menu, choose the navigation icon, then hit the AVOIDANCES icon...make sure that highways are not checked off.

unless it's so grungy you can't see the display, the touch screen still works. I swipe mine off once every few months whether it needs it or not :)

I love how it has the "large" buttons when it's on the bike dock and a denser smaller button set for when I'm carrying it.

Anyone here download the other vehicle sets or did they just keep the motorcyclist icon?

I've been looking at a Zumo to replace my 2720 but I hate these friggin' touch screens!
In the cage they're fine, but on a motorcycle that gets ridden regardless of weather it's a pain in the ass to clean the screen while the unit is in use.

I really want a 276C, but I would miss the street names feature. Turn right in 500' just doesn't cut it anymore.

that might have been the issue. Now I gotta get work to pay me for another long round-trip ride:)

I just ran mine down the stem and attached the fused link to the battery.
I've got the 450, had it for well over a year now. Didn't need or want the XM radio or traffic radio options-which still cost even more to add and more to subscribe, on top of an almost $200 difference between the 450 and 550 to simply allow the add ons-and it works great.

Though recently it insists on taking me on back roads and avoiding highways, it's been doing this since after the last firmware update. It's set to "faster time" but on a recent trip to Sacramento it shoved me thru 6 miles of back roads to get to a hotel instead of taking me up the freeway two more exits where the destination was less than a block off the freeway. I'd taken the same trip once when the device was new and it properly guided me along the freeway route instead of the tour of the industrial/wrong side of the tracks part of town.

Go to your menu, choose the navigation icon, then hit the AVOIDANCES icon...make sure that highways are not checked off.

Dude! I couldn't live without the touchscreen. It is one of the best features of the GPS (mine is a 2820). Why would you need to clean the screen while the unit is in use? Just do a quick wipe before or after a ride.

I have mine on my Bandit and I use it in my car as well. I agree I love this thing! It made it really nice here recently when my son had a bicycle accident and when the local hospital realised he was having complications and needed to be airlifted to Reno for emergency surgery on his spine. Since I wasn't sure the quickest route to the medical center, Zumo got me there as fast as possible.

I also agree that the "security screw" is a joke. What I decided to do is fabricate a safety latch that I saw on the Zumo forums. I got a piece of 12 gauge flat stock steel, cut it to about 2 inch length, drilled a hole in one end and got a nylon washer for under the latch. Bent it till it would hold the top pin bar down and then I painted it flat black and removed the top left screw and put the latch on that screw. Now all I have to do is flip the latch up into place after the Zumo is in the cradle and its readily apparent the cradle is secure. No more fumbling around with that dang near invisible screw. My total cost was under $5.00. Of course I had a can of flat black paint in the garage, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I was loving my Zumo... up until the point on Sunday where it stopped powering up. It was showing low on battery, so I connected it to the car USB charger and after a while it just wouldn't turn back on. The unit is being shipped back to Garmin for repair/replacement.
Did you try pulling the battery and putting it back in? That takes about a minute, and fixed mine, which was doing the same as you describe.

I love my Zumo, on the FJR, or in my FJ Cruiser, but don't like the crackling in the headphones that creeps up over time. Cleaning the contacts eliminates it for awhile, but that is kind of a PITA.

Why would you need to clean the screen while the unit is in use? Just do a quick wipe before or after a ride.
Because with the pollen in the air right now, coupled with all the rain, I've been getting a nice green "mud".

Just my personal preference.