Garmin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Less than 2 years ago, just over $600 for a new Zumo 550.

Touch screen gives up last week, making it a paperweight.

(I've only used it like, ....three times.)

Yes, they'll send me a refurb if I mail them mine and another $150.

-sigh-

For $750 I coulda hired a little gal with an armload of paper maps and had her give me turn-by-turn directions from the pillion perch.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's an easy fix...ebay plug n play screen...I've done it twice on my Zumo 550 over the last 4 years

I'll go find the thread here and edit...wait one...

edit: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=133280&st=0

the pics of the process are gone, but I might have copied/saved them somewhere on one of my hard disks / emails

I'll check and if so, post... edit: added to the other thread in separate post

note: if you EMAIL me requesting the entire process with pics...I can reply with an email I have with just that

EMAIL the request to mholiver at patriotguard dot org

-sigh-

For $750 I coulda hired a little gal with an armload of paper maps and had her give me turn-by-turn directions from the pillion perch.
In 6 years, I'm on my third 550. Twice the units would not boot up. Did the simultaneous button holding deal, tried removing the battery, etc. Both times Garmin support had me send it in. Once they returned me a refurb at no cost and the other time I paid the bill. I've also had a mount fail.

As far as hiring a little gal, I've had an offer or two. I decided I'd rather stay married :)

Hey Michael, That happened to me last year when I was half way across the country. Pulled the battery out and put it back in. Didn't loose any data and haven't had a problem since. Hope it's that easy for you.

-sigh-

OM ~ For $750, the little gal should give you more than turn-by-turn directions! ;)

Sorry for your troubles, my man...

Don

OM- If you paid with a CC, they sometimes will automatically double your warranty. My desktop computer DVD drive pooped out after 1.5 yrs All I had to do was call the CC company, they sent me a claim form and reimbursed me for the parts within like 30 days. They will cover the labor to fix it as well but in my case it was an easy swap so I just did it myself. Saved me $150 right there.

Might be worth checking out since it sounds like you are still inside that 2nd year of extended coverage if the CC company has that benefit.

I tried that leading a pack of babies through Ottawa last year. Worked great through the headsets for about the first 4 turns. After that, she got confused and gave up. I'm still trying to live that down.

'Course, their were other benefits.

-sigh-

OM ~ For $750, the little gal should give you more than turn-by-turn directions! ;)

Sorry for your troubles, my man...

Don
Mick Old Buddy, I'll do it for $250, you have to buy my Guinness / Shepherd's Pie. For $500 I'll even wear SkooterG's yellow sun dress. Still just staring at my Garmin!

I tried that leading a pack of babies through Ottawa last year. Worked great through the headsets for about the first 4 turns. After that, she got confused and gave up. I'm still trying to live that down.

'Course, their were other benefits.
Bustanut joker told BikerGeek99 and Papa Chuy that you couldn't find your ass with both hands. Story was repeated by our yamafitter at Fredericton, New Brunswick!

Bustanut joker told BikerGeek99 and Papa Chuy that you couldn't find your ass with both hands. Story was repeated by our yamafitter at Fredericton, New Brunswick!
Oh I know. The guys who'll sit there waiting for somebody else to lead like gunfighters waiting for somebody to draw first are always the ones to talk shit.

Wanna bet 'fitter will follow me all over Vermont next week :D

Now Steve don't be too hard on yerself.. It was actually kinda funny running in circles.

At one point I was heading for the sidewalk in order to keep up.

Ya redeemed yerself last month with your assistance. Gotta admit passing the fuel stop and doubling back brought back memories, I was laughing all the way around the block :lol:

As far as the Cyndi bending over for someone? How is this news? :unsure:

Hell, after 2 years of letting YOU touch it, who else is not surprised?

Remember this, OM: it's a TOUCH screen, not a FONDLE screen.

Dork.

:D
Uh Andy, hate to have to break the news to you and I hope Suze isn't reading this, but it WAS NOT his fingers he was touching the screen with; it was his "baloney bat"! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Remember this, OM: it's a TOUCH screen, not a FONDLE screen.

Dork.

:D
Uh Andy, hate to have to break the news to you and I hope Suze isn't reading this, but it WAS NOT his fingers he was touching the screen with; it was his "baloney bat"! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
:poster_oops: :w00t: :rofl:

weenie-cocktail-sm.jpg

I'd already mailed off my Zumo when I posted this, but thanks for the helpful advice, all. Patriot, thank you for digging out that tutorial, and

thanks also to gfran and dbvolfan for the tips. Much appreciated.

I tried that leading a pack of babies through Ottawa last year....
Big babies, or just regular babies?

... you couldn't find your ass with both hands....
Oooooh, geez!

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official or Canadian trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth. Usually specifically referred to as "proving malice".

I LOVE being bent over. Hell, I've even PAID for it.
blink.gif

Touch THIS, cheesebag.

...says the man who played Chopsticks with his beef baton on the lobby piano during last year's SW-FOG.

Who always steers these things into the ditch?

tongue.gif

Steve, you could probably vastly improve your reputation by just turning off the auto recalculate. It has a habit of inserting U-turns and haywire lines at every missed turn. But then again, maybe you don't want to change your reputation.

Now, if yer sayin' auto recalculate is already off, then that's a whole different story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd already mailed off my Zumo when I posted this, but thanks for the helpful advice, all. Patriot, thank you for digging out that tutorial, and

thanks also to gfran and dbvolfan for the tips. Much appreciated.

I tried that leading a pack of babies through Ottawa last year....
Big babies, or just regular babies?

... you couldn't find your ass with both hands....
Oooooh, geez!

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official or Canadian trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth. Usually specifically referred to as "proving malice".

I LOVE being bent over. Hell, I've even PAID for it.
blink.gif

Touch THIS, cheesebag.

...says the man who played Chopsticks with his beef baton on the lobby piano during last year's SW-FOG.

Who always steers these things into the ditch?

tongue.gif
Just wait until this year's SW-FOG, Babycakes! I've been practicing Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor "Appassionata" by Ludwig Van Beethoven and I'm damn good at it!

Steve, you could probably vastly improve your reputation by just turning off the auto recalculate. It has a habit of inserting U-turns and haywire lines at every missed turn. But then again, maybe you don't want to change your reputation.

Now, if yer sayin' auto recalculate is already off, then that's a whole different story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeez Marie Ray, Bungie could just follow yamafitter around! Then he'd be OK, that's what Seth and I do!

Jeez Marie Ray, Bungie could just follow yamafitter around! Then he'd be OK, that's what Seth and I do!
I followed Bill around twice, once on the way to Tofino where he got lost in an empty parking lot (no joke!) and, just a few weeks ago looking for the Bobby Orr Museum/Shrine or whatever. I'll give him this, he was close, we did stop at an arena, but then he promptly scared two ladies walking their dogs trying to ask for directions.

Geez Bill, when somebody runs away from you, don't wave your arms at them and resort to Polish while wearing a ski-doo suit. Hell, I woulda ran too!