Gary Crowley's backrest advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chat_vmax

Im going to purchase one of Garys backrests,, Im just not sure which one,,

does anyone have any pictures of the a , b , and conouurse types mounted on a bike from a few feet back,, the pictures he has are real close and I would like to see what they look like from a "standing next to the bike" view...

Also my wife is 5'2 and about 110 lbs soak and wet,, looking for advice on what you guys would think is the most comfortable for a person that size ,, or most comfortable in general as I want to order ASAP..

Thanks Much

Also my wife is 5'2 and about 110 lbs soak and wet,, looking for advice on what you guys would think is the most comfortable for a person that size ,, or most comfortable in general as I want to order ASAP..
I have no idea what the Crowley backrest looks like, or how it would function.

I am using a relocated (~3" rearward) Givi 46L box with backrest pad that my wife finds very comfortable. We previously had a Corbin saddle w/integral backrest which was marginally comfortable for her as it only provided lower back support, which required more effort to stay upright than the higher support afforded by the Givi pad setup. HTH.

BTW, how she trusts that plastic box enough to lean on (especially during acceleration) is beyond me, but I don't add negative feedback to any aspect of her riding experience if I can help it.

I have no idea what the Crowley backrest looks like, or how it would function.

I am using a relocated (~3" rearward) Givi 46L box with backrest pad that my wife finds very comfortable. We previously had a Corbin saddle w/integral backrest which was marginally comfortable for her as it only provided lower back support, which required more effort to stay upright than the higher support afforded by the Givi pad setup. HTH.

BTW, how she trusts that plastic box enough to lean on (especially during acceleration) is beyond me, but I don't add negative feedback to any aspect of her riding experience if I can help it.
Ahhhhhh, you just did. :blink: :D

FWIW, here is an image of a style A unit:

P9051359b.jpg

:)

Ahhhhhh, you just did. :blink: :D
Naw, she only reads the threads I point out. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, hopefully. :devilsmiley:

Is there a link to the source of these backrests. It looks like the "A" model is easy on off! I mostly ride solo, but this would be a plus for our two up days!

Is there a link to the source of these backrests. It looks like the "A" model is easy on off! I mostly ride solo, but this would be a plus for our two up days!
Click on Garauld's name (3 posts up from yours), He makes them. Or look in the classified section.

PM Garauld (see above post) he makes them.

I havn't been to the vendors section or for sale section since the "reorganization" of the board, but there were a couple of threads in there with pics and such.

I bought one of his luggage racks with a removeable passenger back rest. This rack replaces the factory rack but he makes ones that attach to the stock rack also. He does fantastic work! :clap:

PM Garauld (see above post) he makes them.

I havn't been to the vendors section or for sale section since the "reorganization" of the board, but there were a couple of threads in there with pics and such.

I bought one of his luggage racks with a removeable passenger back rest. This rack replaces the factory rack but he makes ones that attach to the stock rack also. He does fantastic work! :clap:
Too slow! :bleh:

I have a friend who wants a bike like the FJR, but has a bad back and needs a backrest for the operator, not the passenger. He has no need to convert to passenger use, as he never rides two-up. Anyone heard of such an animal? :eh:

I have a friend who wants a bike like the FJR, but has a bad back and needs a backrest for the operator, not the passenger. He has no need to convert to passenger use, as he never rides two-up. Anyone heard of such an animal? :eh:
I have a Russell with a driver back rest, Pricey solution but well worth it if he does any trips.

I have a Russell with a driver back rest, Pricey solution but well worth it if he does any trips.
I told him I thought such a solution was available. Went to their site and printed pics and pricing for him. He's one of those "I don't need a computer" guys. His loss. He's also a bit of a skeptic. Anyone got a pic of this Russell driver backrest with the rider sitting on the bike, hands on bars, etc.? Thanks in advance if ya got one. If not I'll send him Radman's avatar. :haha:

I bought one of Gary's passenger backrests that attaches to the OEM luggage rack last Fall--looks and works great, I can put it on, take it off in about 2 minutes. In addition to use by a passenger, I've also found it useful when I ride solo and carry camping gear--dome tent, sleeping bags for my son and I, etc. etc. Makes it easier to bungie to the bike with the backrest in place.

I have a rider backrest on my GL1200 GW and love it but I can't imagine a rider backrest on the FJR being of any value whatsoever. Even though the rider position on the FJR is only mildly forward leaning, it's enough that I can't see a backrest being helpful at all, unless you've put on bar risers to raise the riding position to full upright, like a cruiser. I like the forward riding position of the FJR, if I had wanted a straight upright position, I would have bought a different bike.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)