Gary's luggage rack and this bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe the smaller rack made by gaurald for the occasional (very rare) ride with passenger. I'm also thinking it would be nice to add a small bag for those days but I love the looks of the FJR and don't want to turn it into a 2 wheeled Uhaul.

Anybody use one of these? it seems a good idea to have the backrest/sissybar mount. I rode a VTX for a short while with a Tbag on the sissybar and the adjustalbe strap/mount works very well.

This very nice looking and functional smaller rack made By Gary:

P2260422.jpg

and one of the bags like this:

ezt_01.gif

or this:

universal_convertible_toproll_01.gif

more here:

Clicky

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve, I agree with you trying to keep the sporty look with a smaller backrest/rack setup. I'm on the build list for one of these with Gary. I'm not going with Gary's pad however to save him some time (trying to get it asap) and will have the pad for the backrest done locally and will be a lower profile "more wide than tall" design to keep it as sporty as possible but still give the passenger a little security when hitting the gas hard. Did you get one of these racks?

If so can you post a pick of it on your bike?

If not, I'll let you know how I make out when I get mine done....

PS thanks for the reply and info on my "jump into 1st post..."

I too am on Gary's list (3 month wait) for the mini rack w/ backrest. Primarily getting it so the mrs will be more willing to come along for a ride. I figure I'd use the rack to bungee a small duffle when on the long hauls. I didn't want to my fjr to mimick my old man's gold wing so I decided against the touring trunk and hope Garys setup will suffice.

I took my wife out for a ride after this post and after riding pillion on 2 1800 Goldwings, she doesn't really like the FJR. Gary's rack was my choice for best passenger backrest and my wife would only ride 1-2 days/yr anyway.

I decided to go with the SW-Motech rack and Givi V46 topbox for my 4-5 long weekend solo trips. The rack goes on easy, you can remove the Givi adapter plate with a half turn of the 3 screws leaving just the Motech plate which still looks good on the FJR.

Clicky

Total for Givi box, adapter, rack was about $400 delivered from twistedthrottle.com

For more passenger use I would go with Gary's well built, good looking rack/pad and a Kuryakyn Grantour bag for travel.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Nelson-Rigg t-bag/slip over pack (now discontinued) with Gary's rack & backrest & I like it a lot. Each compartment expands to twice its volume. I'm not as worried about looks, but do consider wind drag/performance. Got 46.7 mpg on the return leg of a 200 mile two-up trip with this setup.

keatonbeach002.jpg

Thanks for all the replies on Gary's various rack setups - I can't wait till he starts to work on mine