Gas mileage king?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?

I think you confused me with someone else.
I did. Edit completed and corrections made. My bad. I did an interesting read about the wall of air that fights back when speeds near 200. Fascinating how much MORE power it takes to break 200 than it does to break say, 150.

Gary

darksider #44

?

I think you confused me with someone else.
I did. Edit completed and corrections made. My bad. I did an interesting read about the wall of air that fights back when speeds near 200. Fascinating how much MORE power it takes to break 200 than it does to break say, 150.

Gary

darksider #44
Well, since air resistance goes up with the square of speed, it would take almost TWICE the power to break 200 than 150. Same as going from 60 to 80, or 90 to 120.

Does all this really matter? The bike has great power, gets great mileage, enjoy!

I can't figure this one out: I ride the freeways at steady speeds, I get about 40mpg on average. I go up nasty grades in the mountains, albeit slower than freeway speeds, but I'm gunning the gas a lot more while riding the twisties, and I get well over 50mpg riding more aggressively at slower speeds. :unsure:

But at least I'm getting great mileage. ;)

Enjoy and ride safe.

I can't figure this one out: I ride the freeways at steady speeds, I get about 40mpg on average. I go up nasty grades in the mountains, albeit slower than freeway speeds, but I'm gunning the gas a lot more while riding the twisties, and I get well over 50mpg riding more aggressively at slower speeds.
unsure.png
As has been said ad nauseum, air resistance is the biggest factors. Highway speeds - more air resistance. Higher mountain elevations and thinner air - less air resistance.

Not to mention an engine is more 'efficient' at open throttle settings but that is getting into some advanced thermodynamics we won't go into here.

As has been said ad nauseum, air resistance is the biggest factors. Highway speeds - more air resistance. Higher mountain elevations and thinner air - less air resistance.
Wait! Are you saying air resistance is the biggest factor? Why didn't you say this in the second post of this thread? Why hasn't it been said a bunch of other times whenever NEPRT fuel mileage threads pop up? ;)

Wait! Are you saying air resistance is the biggest factor? Why didn't you say this in the second post of this thread? Why hasn't it been said a bunch of other times whenever NEPRT fuel mileage threads pop up?
wink.png

You can lead a horse to water..........

smile.png

I was doing some research on gas mileage this morning. Turns out that at slower speeds, rolling resistance is the big dog. But at higher speeds, there is no contest. Air resistance is by far the biggest factor. Here's an easy read: CLICKY

This short article is one of the easier explanations I found. Copied from the last paragraph:

"...(for) high speed we should consider that the energy needed to accelerate quadruples with a doubling of velocity and also the air drag quadruples with the doubling of velocity. Therefore, a car cruising on a highway at 50 mph may require only 10 horsepower to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph requires 80 hp. Twice the speed requires eight times the power."

The article talks about two other gas mileage factors: frontal area and weight. Both matter, but again, at slab speeds, air resistance is by far the biggest factor. That would explain why FJR Bluesman got such amazing results while blasting around at slower speeds. Even throttle opening and acceleration are secondary to wind resistance at higher speeds.

Needless to say, more power takes more gas.

So there ya go.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait! Are you saying air resistance is the biggest factor? Why didn't you say this in the second post of this thread? Why hasn't it been said a bunch of other times whenever NEPRT fuel mileage threads pop up?
wink.png

You can lead a horse to water..........

smile.png
Yes that is all true. But if we just read the information silently and move on then we don't get a chance to prove how smart we are. After all the more we type, the smarter we look right? Uh wait, nevermind. I think I just got it...
not_i.gif

Does all this really matter? The bike has great power, gets great mileage, enjoy!
Hey Blue,

Matter? Not. Fun to gab about? Yup. Try talking about this stuff around the table at Christmas time. Good grief. Mosta my family wouldn't know a piston ring from a muffler bearing.

You spoke of "great power." Funny... though I rarely get over about 5k rpm, once in a while I wind it up a little. Recently I was pleasantly surprised once again, that she'll still pull the front wheel up when heading up the entrance ramp all by myself one evening. It's got quite a kick above 6500.

Gary

darksider #44

wink.png
But what would we talk about then???

This thread mustn't die!!!

What if we were on the moon? how would fuel mileage be affected?

Stupid air resistance.. No wonder my huffy 10 speed tops out at 4mph..

Neither side Greg... right square between the cheeks.

I can't figure this one out: I ride the freeways at steady speeds, I get about 40mpg on average. I go up nasty grades in the mountains, albeit slower than freeway speeds, but I'm gunning the gas a lot more while riding the twisties, and I get well over 50mpg riding more aggressively at slower speeds.
unsure.png

Not to mention an engine is more 'efficient' at open throttle settings but that is getting into some advanced thermodynamics we won't go into here.
Why is the air so resistant? Can't we get it to work with us for less resisitance? I hate uncooperative air... :p
headbonk.gif

I presented this idea to mama's design team for the genIII

Fan.png

it would help move that damned resistant air outa the way.

I've seen some gay shit in my life....................but that is just gaye.

My NEPRT thread has been demoted to NOTPRT. Maybe we ought to make this a new part of the forum.

Never On Topic Pointless Recurring Threads...

---come to think of it, if we took all the friendly neighborhood banter out of the forum, then the whole forum would be DEMOTED to providing solid, informed and valuable information. Help us!!

Gary

darksider #44

I just gotta say, if you are "cruising at 50-55 mph" why the hell are you on a FJR ?? Twist that thing in your right hand, hang on

and be real happy with anything more than 40 mpg. I'm with BUNGIE , you "dick swingers" are pathetic.

And I've gotta say:

I (for one) will surely let you know when I'm looking for advice on how I should ride MY bike. Thanks, anyway.

Sincerely,

Pathetically Swinging Dick

edit -
bleh.gif

edit2 - some roads "cruising" at 50-55 mph is moving along at a nice clip. Not everything is flat, straight, and boring.