Gear Drive Oil for $32 a pint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyD

Reaction score
I thinking this has been asked before - but couldn't find anything using search... my buddy tells me that Yamaha makes a specific oil for the shaft drive differential. He paid $32.00 for a pint or so of it - what's the stuff got in it - GOLD??? Am I wrong to beloeve that any good quality hypiod oil would be just as good?

I got mine from FJRgoodies for $20, bottle is good for two changes so that is not too bad.

$10/change is fine with me just for piece of mind, no issues with warranty, etc...

You know how hard it is to milk a sperm whale to get a pint of that stuff... ?

It's rubbish and a scam. Mobil 1 Synthetic 80/90. About 9$ a quart...good for about 4 changes.

It's rubbish and a scam. Mobil 1 Synthetic 80/90. About 9$ a quart...good for about 4 changes.
Thank you - Yami's price for the gear oil reminds me of asking the dealer for front wheel bearing for my YZ450 - 20+ bucks for two cheap unsealed bearings... I found same dimension - high quality sealed bearings on the Inet for about 2 dollars each.

JohnnyD

Thank you - Yami's price for the gear oil reminds me of asking the dealer for front wheel bearing for my YZ450 - 20+ bucks for two cheap unsealed bearings... I found same dimension - high quality sealed bearings on the Inet for about 2 dollars each.

JohnnyD
This doesn't really justify the cost, but I read somewhere that the FJR gear oil has a different p/n than the "regular" Yammy stuff because the regular stuff foamed up in the differential (under high-speed autobahn jaunts) and the "special" stuff has anti-foaming ingredients...FWIW

Last edited by a moderator:
The autobahn? Is that where yamaha tests their equiptment?

What do you suppose some japanese dude's accent sounds like in german? I'll bet it sounds like french.

You have to use the Yami stuff. Otherwise, the drive explodes like an IED. With like shrapnel and stuff. WeRd.

You have to use the Yami stuff. Otherwise, the drive explodes like an IED. With like shrapnel and stuff. WeRd.

But I bet that is not what comes out on the proctologists glove when Frank gets an exam.

Since you didn't find all the previous posts, don't forget to look for a GL-5 rating (IIRC) on your choice, not just any hypoid oil. Someone yell at me here if I fubared the GL-number.

QUOTE(Ignacio @ May 25 2006, 09:47 PM)

Anyone in my area can stop buy and I'll give you a bottle free. I have way too many that I get for free-

Aaacccckkkk, another NEVER-ENDING POINTLESS OIL THREAD, and even Ignacio couldn't lay off of the high ball and send it to the proper forum, at least not yet.

The FJR specific oil can be had for $20 a pint--but your dealer had to think about it, order it, put it on a shelf and pay employees to sell it, thus the mark up you got at $32. The synthetic Mobil product has been mentioned and used ad nauseum, and those people have attained a much higher standard of living in the vast amount of money saved over the years. It will not void the warranty, the MotoMan breakin expert fella said so. The standard Yamaha 80/90 rear end gear lube is great for ATVs and even John Deere mowers, and should be suitable to prove the high speed foaming jaunts on the autobahn is just pure urban internet myth.

If it was up your rear end, you would know. B)

Yamaha has an obscene mark up on all their chemicals. When I rebuilt my forks I looked at the Yamaha fork oil and laughed out loud when I saw the over $20 price tag. And people say Amsoil is a rip off...