Gear Indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
With the 06 having the gear indicator, it made me wonder what the heck I was doing! I mean, all these years I have been happy just to know when it was in Neutral, now I realize that I have been totally being psychic!

I seem to automatically know when to downshift to get into the power band, or upshift to avoid the approaching redline. How else could I have done it? Are there other psychic FJR riders?

:bleh:

8686.jpg

up one gear rad you hunk you hahahahahahaha

Whose to say if it would have helped or not, but I did have a scary experience one day shortly after I got the FJR...

While downshifting from 3rd into 2nd for a spirited passing run I quickly realized that I had already been in second. The front of the FJR has NO PROBLEM pointing at the sky when you drop into first and nail it. What a difference between 2nd and 1st.

New skivvies were in order.

I seem to automatically know when to downshift to get into the power band, or upshift to avoid the approaching redline. How else could I have done it? Are there other psychic FJR riders?
:bleh:
Yeah - but how many times have you shifted into 6th ??????? :eek:

Yeah - but how many times have you shifted into 6th ???????
Answer: The exact same number of times I shifted into seventh on my Concours.

The front of the FJR has NO PROBLEM pointing at the sky when you drop into first and nail it. What a difference between 2nd and 1st.
Just think, if you had that gear indicator, you'd have been cheated out of that experience. Now that you found out by accident how much fun those first gear wheelies are, you can do it whenever you want! :lol:

Yes - the only bikes I find I don't try for another top gear are my BMW's with gear indicators and the V-Strom that has a 6th gear light.

Yes - a gear indicator isn't needed but once you have one you'll miss it if it isn't there - kind of like heated handgrips, gas guage, temp guage, ABS, paddle shift, hydrolic clutch, disk brakes, slipper clutch, the list of EXTRANIOUS equipment grows :D !

My Ninja is the only bike I've ever had with a programmable shift light - now that's something I really like!

if you can't feel when to shift you should sell your bike and get a scooter!! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you can't feel when to shift you should sell your bike and get a scooter!!  :haha:
That's why I'm interested in an 06 FJR or a Burgman to add to my stable! :D

I've heard they're similar but the FJR has a little more power. :huh:

The front of the FJR has NO PROBLEM pointing at the sky when you drop into first and nail it. What a difference between 2nd and 1st.
Just think, if you had that gear indicator, you'd have been cheated out of that experience. Now that you found out by accident how much fun those first gear wheelies are, you can do it whenever you want! :lol:
+1 on shifting into 7th on a concours.

+1 on shifting into 7th on a concours.
Uuhhhmmmm, +2!

For those who like to complain about not having an extra gear to row through to get to overdrive, how come the Connie didn't come with a 7th gear? :blink:

For those who like to complain about not having an extra gear to row through to get to overdrive, how come the Connie didn't come with a 7th gear? :blink:
No one in this thread complained about not having another gear - they were just complaining about having the gear indicator. All threads morph though ..... cuz I started out defending the new FJR then made fun of it :p .

As to the Connie - that should be a new thread in a different forum.

Back to the gear indicator - seems that I'm the only one that thinks that although it isn't necessary it is nice to have. The FJR isn't a two cylinder cruiser (where you don't even need a tach), or a screaming sport bike (where you turn 13,000-15,000 rpm for power and it is nice to have some indication what gear you are in when you need to shift in a curve or when you are leaving the power band before you bounce off the RPM limiter); it's somewhere in between.

To each his own, be interesting to come back in a year or two and see how much you guys like one. Now about that computer that tells you when you are running out of gas .........???? :D

When I'm shifting up through the gears I don't typically look down at the display for RPM, etc. So I doubt that I'd look at a gear display either. The gear indicator might be useful as you downshift when you come to a stop. While you're stopped you can glance at the gear indicator to verify you're in 1st gear before releasing the clutch.

I hope this gear indicator functions when the clutch is pulled in. Some don't since they compare the signal pulse rate of the engine rpm and speedo speed sensor to determine what gear is selected. With the clutch pulled in the pulse ratio goes bonkers.

When I'm upshifting and I think I've selected 5th I'll give an addtional tug on the shift lever before I release the clutch. This verifies I'm in 5th and keeps me from performing an additonal useless clutch and shifter operation.

When I'm shifting up through the gears I don't typically look down at the display for RPM, etc. So I doubt that I'd look at a gear display either.
OK - then don't need a tach either! :rolleyes:

BMW owners went through the same discussion years ago when BMW started putting the indicator on their bikes. A dealer pretty much ended the discussion by pointing out that EVERY owner with a gear indicator that was malfunctioning quickly brought the bike in for warranty repair; extranious or not - they were using it for something and wanted it working. :D

The first question my Beemer-owning brother-in-law asked me when I let him take my bike for a hop was "Where's the gear indicator?" I'd love to have one, but not bad enough to do a retrofit at this point or buy a new bike. I've caught myself trying for 6th about as many times as I've cruised a few highway miles in 4th. Sometimes the "Committee" (inside my head) just gets me distracted.

No one in this thread complained about not having another gear - they were just complaining about having the gear indicator. All threads morph though ..... cuz I started out defending the new FJR then made fun of it :p .

As to the Connie - that should be a new thread in a different forum.

Back to the gear indicator - seems that I'm the only one that thinks that although it isn't necessary it is nice to have. The FJR isn't a two cylinder cruiser (where you don't even need a tach), or a screaming sport bike (where you turn 13,000-15,000 rpm for power and it is nice to have some indication what gear you are in when you need to shift in a curve or when you are leaving the power band before you bounce off the RPM limiter); it's somewhere in between.

To each his own, be interesting to come back in a year or two and see how much you guys like one. Now about that computer that tells you when you are running out of gas .........???? :D
1.) Every thread about shifting in the last 3 years has morphed into complaining about the FJR not having a 6th gear, thus my backhanded attempt at humor on the subject. :rolleyes:

2.) In the post directly above mine, Timbo2105 mentions trying to shift his Connie into 7th, an action I found myself doing on my Connie. :blink:

3.) Knowing O'valeFJR and reading into his "tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek style", I was merely extending his dry wit. :(

But, I will take your upbraiding and instruction as to board etiquette to heart.

Back to the normally scheduled programming on the shift indicator that is being morphed into a thread about the computer warning of impending gas shortage.

[SIZE=8pt]Bad, bad, madmike2! Now go to your room and DON"T slam the door....and no dinner! :angry: [/SIZE]

First, make sure your motorcycle is right for you.

At minimum, your street-legal motorcycle should have:

Headlight, taillight and brakelight.

Front and rear brakes.

Turn signals.

Horn.

If you are mad because your older bike doesn't have a gear indicator, then install one. It's easy!

Here's how...

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/digi.html

https://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Datato...-56-DIGI-1.html

https://www.gear-indicator.com/

DG8%20Blue.jpg

Sixth gear on the FJR ? Probably in 07 or 08 when the engine goes to 1400cc.

if you can't feel when to shift you should sell your bike and get a scooter!! :haha:
Are you telling me that I have to SHIFT on this bike? Wow, that means I can do more than 70mph if there is another gear to try. You learn something new every day. How fast would it go if there was a THIRD gear to try too.