Gear Review: Undearmour Heat Gear / Compression Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
This originally appreared in www.midliferider.com

I may be the last one to this parade, but I finally discovered the joys of underamour heat gear / compression gear. Those are a lot of words: Here's what they mean.

Compression gear: I've been peripherally aware of the idea of compression gear most of my life from closely studying the Sears Catalog as a kid. Back then they were called girdles and women wore them. They were in the section right after the bras. I know this for a fact.

More recently, compressive gear has rocketed to semi-popular attention with the release of the revolutionary new speedo lzr racer swimsuit.

Basically the idea is this. When you start to tire, your muscle tone begins to fail. Muscles have to work harder to fire which makes you even more tired. Bad things happen. In the swimming pool, that idea is enhanced with a related idea which is selective reshaping of the body to improve fluid dynamics. Another discussion.

For the past year or so I've been wearing a pair of Andiamo Padded Skins under my riding gear. According to the blurbosity . . .

Padded Skin is just what the doctor ordered when it comes to sitting in the saddle all day on a motorcycle. Sweaty underwear is a thing of the past when you put on an Andiamo! Padded Skin because the Hydrotech coated polyester fabric transports moisture away from your skin keeping you drier and cleaner! The chafe free padded liner provides additional comfort and support and all seams are flat stitched for additional comfort. You’ll never wear cotton underwear on a ride again.

Actually the last part isn't true. On a recent epic ride I did wear a pair of cotton briefs one day and I was as miserable as I could be. Never again. The Andiamo shorts perform as advertised: more comfort, no sweating, no monkey butt.

More recently, I was teaching a track day and noticed one of my fellow instructors standing around between sessions in what looked like long underwear . . . in 90 degree weather. What!!!! Well it turns out he was cool as a cucumber under his gear and the rest of us were dying. Which gets to the part about "heat gear."

It turns out that the Heat Gear Underarmour fabric is both UV resistant and a superior moisture transport system. It's uncanny stuff. If you can get any sort of airflow at all across the gear, the cooling effect is astounding: Much better than if you're not wearing it.

So I bought some. Actually I bought a lot: tops and bottoms, short, medium and long. While I have yet to test the short stuff I'm ready to call the ball: Don't waste your money: go straight for the long leggings and the long-sleeved top.

I tested my new gear recently on a 300 mile ride from Seattle, across the mountains to Leavenworth, and then home. I started the day in the seventies, got down to the low 60s in the mountains, up to the mid 90s on the other side, and then full cycle. It's the real deal.

Putting the stuff on is a bit of a chore. You want it to fit tight. Once its one, it feels great. Every muscle from ankle to wrist to collarbone is under light compression and completely supported. The feeling doesn't go away. I often get knotty muscles down the right side of my back when I ride long distances. Not this time.

When the temperatures got cool, I just cut off the airflow through my gear. Under those conditions, the underarmour is just like lightweight polypro. But once it heats up, even a small amount of airflow through my riding gear changed everything. It's like the breeze enters through a vent and spreads up and down your entire body. Very cool in both senses of the word.

And like the Andiamo gear, there's no monkey but. Your butt and private parts stay dry, vented, and comfortable.

It's possible I'll test the short pants and short sleeved shirt. It's also possible I'll give it away. The long stuff is just that good. Highly recommend.

I don't like the compression gear. Too tight. I like their loose fit stuff better. And yes there is better gear out there cheaper.

roadrunnersports sells their brand, does the same thing, much cheaper. NIKE outlet the same.

Anyways... good to know stuff. Been gettin the GF to convert over to this type stuff she is much more comfortable.

Great post! Lots of "first-hand" knowledge which is always better than reading about stuff at the retailer's site.

I might try to find some of this for my ride to NAFO.

Thanks!

Lot of cheaper alternatives out there. UnderArmour is too high priced for me.
Agreed. An excellent alternative is the C9 gear by Champion for Target. I have compression shorts and shirts from both Under Armour (Heat Gear) and Champion C9 and I prefer the latter. As a comparison, Under Armour Heat Gear long compression shorts are $29.99 @ Dick's Sporting Goods vs. $14.99 (currently $10.49 @ Target.com) for the long Champion C9 compression shorts. (That said, my true preference as far as compression shorts for use while riding are those made by LDComfort for which our very own Warchild is a spokesmodel. The "kangaroo pouch" fly is a particularly nice touch.)

Lot of cheaper alternatives out there. UnderArmour is too high priced for me.
Agreed. An excellent alternative is the C9 gear by Champion for Target. I have compression shorts and shirts from both Under Armour (Heat Gear) and Champion C9 and I prefer the latter. As a comparison, Under Armour Heat Gear long compression shorts are $29.99 @ Dick's Sporting Goods vs. $14.99 (currently $10.49 @ Target.com) for the long Champion C9 compression shorts. (That said, my true preference as far as compression shorts for use while riding are those made by LDComfort for which our very own Warchild is a spokesmodel. The "kangaroo pouch" fly is a particularly nice touch.)

Great timing with that post. I was going to Dick's today to grab some extra UnderArmour for the NAFO trip. Target is right next door.

pictures?
:lol:
I believe this thread is worthwhile without pics. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have compression shorts and shirts from both Under Armour (Heat Gear) and Champion C9 and I prefer the latter. As a comparison, Under Armour Heat Gear long compression shorts are $29.99 @ Dick's Sporting Goods vs. $14.99 (currently $10.49 @ Target.com) for the long Champion C9 compression shorts.
Apparently out of stock at Target.com but went to the brick and mortar store and they had the short version for $6.99. Just got back from a 6 hr ride in them and was very impressed. As comfortable as the $40.00 LD Comfort shorts.

The LDComfort shorts are excellent. Definitely a bit pricey, but better than Underarmor (more substantial material and better support with similar ventilation).

dangit, my local target was out of the compression shorts and shirts... going to try wally-worlds brand tomorrow...at least try to find it. The back up plan is a regional sports place that sells the UA and Nike apparel, but that is some pricey stuff....

I just picked up some "Iron Clad" compression shirts on close out at a Menards. I have only used them once, but so far I like them a lot.

Just got back from my first ride with the C9 shirt from Target. Temps in the upper 60's and low 70's, freeway speeds almost made me want to stop and zip up the vents on the Roadcrafter. I was a bit chilly at times. Never happened with a cotton t-shirt at those temps.

Going back tomorrow for some shorts. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find from my recent experience as a line cook that a good dose of Gold Bond before activity works well. If you forget that, the restaurant (and every grocery store) has corn starch readily available. Not as soothing, but works in a pinch.