gear suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been happy with my TourMaster Flex pants and jacket. I have 40K miles on my set, with temps down to the 30s and up past 100 degrees. Pants have a small shell that zips off to a mesh liner and is easy to store. Jacket is has an outer shell that can be taken off but it also has good venting. I can't remember an rain complaints in the few storms I have been in and have not used the internal liners at all . Both are price MSRP in the $200 each range. Pants - Jacket
Here's another vote for TourMaster Flex. We rode from Little Rock to Arizona last April, and the one jacket served me well in in 100 degree temps in Arizona and has worked well down to the high 30s around here most of the winter. Colder than that and I go to electrics, but a range of 40 degrees to 100+ ain't bad. And the Gerbing liner would fit well under it if I so desired, then I don't know what the lower limit would be.

I really enjoy it. I've left on cold morning with the liner in and outer shell on and come back with the shell and liner in the bags wearing mesh only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree with Jason - gently used gear can be picked up for dirt cheap. The key IMO is to make sure it is EXACTLY what you want. If the gear is not to your liking, its a waste at any price. I learned that the hard way with the Olympia AST.
However, if you do pick up the used gear dirt cheap, and it's not to your liking, then you can usually resell it for what you paid for it. This is not the case with new gear. Two days of using my brand new Revit Sand gear revealed it wasn't what I wanted to live with on a day to day basis and I had to eat a heck of a loss on the jacket and still have the pants.

I have been happy with my TourMaster Flex pants and jacket. I have 40K miles on my set, with temps down to the 30s and up past 100 degrees. Pants have a small shell that zips off to a mesh liner and is easy to store. Jacket is has an outer shell that can be taken off but it also has good venting. I can't remember an rain complaints in the few storms I have been in and have not used the internal liners at all . Both are price MSRP in the $200 each range. Pants - Jacket
Yep, I have the same pants and jacket. I've worn them in temps of 100+ all the way down to mid 30s as well as in the rain and never had any issues. I also own an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1pc but I usually end up wearing the Tourmaster Flex.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/flex_series_3_jacket.html

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/textile_pants/tour_master/flex_textile_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

What's your aerostich size for a roadcrafter. I have one in my closet waiting for me to lose weight (lol) that might end up in the right price range.

Worney

I have the Rev'it Poseidon GTX jacket and pants... I have always loved Goretex. Very happy with the performance in the rain. For now, I am just wearing some Danner waterproof boots.

Hello... my name is Fred, and I am a Yankee frugal gear whore.
rolleyes.gif

Oh man... is this question right up my alley. I have tried multiple approaches to the questions raised here about all purpose gear, and every one of them results in some sort of a compromise.

Being a native New Englander I don't do so well in the summer heat. My wife and I each have a set of Olympia Air Glide 3 mesh jackets (in HiViz) and Air Glide 2 pants (Pewter Gray). In the brief summer months these are a very comfortable mesh setup and, as others have said, on a chilly morning you can just layer under them and stay relatively warm. What they are not is waterproof. The "waterproof inner liners" are not really good enough for a full rain day. So that means you have to carry some sort of over the top rain jacket and rain pants if you are going somewhere for more than a couple of days and can't predict the weather.

Unfortunately when you are on tour for several days is exactly when you really don't want to spare the cargo space to carry around 2 sets of rain gear. And then when you do have to don said rain gear over the mesh protective gear that can be downright hot.

For touring we also both have Olympia AST jackets (also in HiViz). Hers is an AST1 mine is an AST2. We also have solid textile waterproof riding pants of several different makes. My favorites are a pair of old Olympia Ranger 2 pants that are looking very long in the tooth and aren't quite as waterproof anymore. With the solid gear we do not need to carry any rain gear, but when the temps soar above 90, like they did on the high plains of Wyoming on us 2 years ago, things can get very uncomfortable.

I have two copies of Aerostich Darien jackets that I am really starting to love. I bought them both used as the ticket price for this gear new is pretty stiff, and I wasn't sure I would like it. I have a HiViz Yellow Darien Light that came complete with extensive street cred (dirty), and another older version of the regular weight Darien in gray made back before they improved the collars.

Even though they are solid textile and GoreTex lined, I find these jackets to be every bit as cool in the summer heat as the mesh gear. That's because you can open the neck area and the sleeve zippers for forced "ram air", and open the pit vents and back vents for exhaust, and you set up a constant flow of air over your entire torso. I've been riding on days in the high 80's or low 90's and been very comfortable. And of course you can zipper these jackets up, and throw on an extra layer or electric heated liner and you are good in the cool weather too.

One of my problems with these Darien jackets is that they are too long in the front, so I end up having to do the "Darien Roll" on the lower front part of the jacket after I sit on the bike. Otherwise the fabric bunches up and pushes the jacket up around your shoulders and neck. The other issues are my own doing in buying used: The HiViz is disgustingly dirty, the Gray one is clean but has the stiff old collar design, and both of them are a tad bit too small to layer properly for the cold. I bought them 44 / Large when I really need a 46 or XL to be able to layer up fully.

I wrote a suggestion message to Aerostich and suggested that they incorporate a new design in either their Darien, or some variant of touring jacket in the future, where they should make the front shorter (like the Roadcrafter) and leave the back long like the current Darien to eliminate the need to do the tuck and roll but still get great rain coverage. They wrote back and thanked me for the idea, but I haven't seen anything like that from them yet. When they do, I'm going to plunk down whatever it costs on one and sell off my old Darien jackets, probably for about the same (short) money that I paid for them.

Olympia X Moto all season tear down jacket is a great choice. Not the cheapest, but not over priced. Comes apart easy and goes back the same way. As for rain proof, probably nothing short of rain gear is going to be waterproof. Every piece of gear I have ever owned (and that has been a few in the past 40 years) has proven water resistant. With enough water thrown at it, anything will start to absorb in time. Carry a separate one piece rain suite. You'll thank yourself later.

Might also want to check the Canadian suppliers since your dollar is doing so well.

www.canadasmotorcycle.ca would be a great place to start. Even with shipping you will probably save a bunch. But as 101stpathfinder pointed out, there is lots of barely used gear that can be had for a song..

Enjoy your trip, sounds like fun..

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im still trying to talk myself out of dropping the cash on klim but the tour master flew seems to have great reviews all the way around.

I wish I had the cash for Klim. I'd spend it once and be done.

Same goes for the 'Stich gear if you have the dosh and can stand the klutzey old school tailoring.

But I don't think I could ever bring myself to wear that Motoport "kevlar" gear, I know lots of folks swear by the protectiveness, but you look like you're wrapped in a 'tater sack. One does have to attempt to maintain a sense of decorum, right? :rolleyes:

YMMV

Timely topic. I've been heavily researching for a new riding jacket along the same general criteria as the original poster.

One difference is that for me I usually end up spending more money trying "cheap/frugal" solutions than just going all in up front. So, I decided to go full Gore-Tex, and be thankful I don't have a lot of other gear or accessories in the queue for immediate replacement.

I've narrowed it down to two - each with a different approach:

A. Rev-It Chronos GTX: approx. $669 - includes most armor but no back protector.

Has a mesh outer shell with a full removable Gore-Tex inner soft shell jacket. Good video reviews on both Sport Bike Track Gear and Revzilla sites. Drawback I see is on a hot day with liner out having to stop and put on the inner Gore-Tex jacket. I wonder too if, after it stops raining or during rain, do you end up with a heavy, wet, soggy outer mesh jacket.

B. Klim Apex: approx. $799 - full armor including back protector.

Full Gore-Tex outer shell/jacket. Videos claim good venting. It also does zip to the Klim Badlands or Torrent pants. Sounds like may have to add base layer or undergarment if cold day.

Curious if anyone has any experience with either of these jackets?

I'd also like to pass along I recently did purchase a pair of Rev-It Phantom GTX waterproof Gore-Tex X-Trafit gloves. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test in a rain storm - sorry, snowblower season up north here.

Fyi, some sizing info to aid others who may be looking at these since they were highly reviewed in a Motorcycle Consumer News article in May 2014 as well as on-line reviews. I normally wear a size 11 or XL in most brands of gloves be it Dainese, Alpinestars etc. But in the Rev-It Phantom GTX I had to bump up one size and the 2XL fits perfectly.

Here are a few thoughts for less experienced riders. Old-timers can ignore this, as you are probably just as opinionated about your gear as I am about mine:

Considering textile riding gear, I've been wearing Tourmaster (Cortech) gear, jacket and trousers, for many years and around a hundred thousand miles. I have also compared my gear to more expensive gear, on the rack and on my fellow riders, particularly that made of Gore-Tex, and I really haven't seen $500.00 worth of improvement in the more expensive gear. This includes Aerostitch, Olympia, Klim and the BMW stuff.

Assuming construction of a suitably protective fabric, such as Cordura, I consider padding and ventilation to be most important. Next, is a firm closure at the neck, not Velcro, lots of pockets and a conservative look. My present jacket has snaps, one to hold it open and another to hold it closed, but I think Cortech has gone back to Velcro. That is a deal-breaker for me. Really. Velcro is really not very suitable for a closure that is used often in the long run, so it has to be a snap closure for the neck.

I have considered a mesh jacket for hot weather, but I find a solid jacket with suitable vents to be satisfactory. My next jacket will probably be of a hi-viz color after it meets all of my other criteria.

After ten or twelve years, my Cortech trousers wore out, and I replaced them with First Gear Kathmandu trousers. Cortech no longer made the trousers I had before. I like the Kathmandu's well enough, especially because they have vents in front, but I can't pull them on over my boots. That's a real minus. I read that First Gear now has redesigned them so one can don them with boots on. My next trousers will have vents and be don-able with boots on.

Speaking of boots, I really appreciate my Aerostitch Combat Touring boots, now nicely broken in after twelve years of riding. If and when it is time to replace them, I will probably choose the same brand. On my hands, I have become a fan of Held gloves, but when it is cold, I wear my Tourmaster Winter Elites.

In winter, it gets pretty cold here. When I can get out from under the snow, I have a wonderful leather jacket made by Fox Creek that I wear from October to about April.

A lot has been written in this thread about gear being waterproof. That's just not very important to me. I live in the Southwest, where getting wet while riding in the summer is actually a nice break now and then. In winter, if it is precipitating, I try to get off the road asap or, more often, never hit the road in the first place. Rain turns into ice quickly at 7,000 feet. Sometimes, though, I have gotten stuck with no choice but to push on through rain and snow. For that, I have a full coverage North Face Gor-Tex rain suit that I picked up in No Cal at an outlet store for a hundred bucks. I have pulled it on over my other gear fewer than ten times, and it worked nicely. Most of the time, I have wiggled my way into it in the wind on the side of the highway, only to have to wiggle my way back out, as the precipitation has never materialized.

Hope this helps, WBill

I ride enough to justify Klim. I just spend too much time going to or from places where I need to be fairly presentable looking and smelling when I get there. I rotate helmets and jackets so all get a decent chance to air/dry, and usually launder some or all of the jacket after a multi-day or particularly skanky all day trip. If long distance vacation style were all I did, I would only go top of the line. But with rotating, jackets seeing a lot of use and lasting 2-3 years (in rotation) fits my schedule. I'm surprised at the popularity of jackets that stop at the beltline. I guess most of the BMW and other sport touring folks I've been around made me think my choice in jacket length was normal. Good luck with your selection OP. I'm all about buying from the cheapest place, but unless the price difference is huge, Revzilla is almost impossible to beat from a customer service and responsiveness perspective. As a result of this thread, I just now spent a little time looking at a Klim on clearance, and had to click away. I have zero need or justification for another jacket at this time. Get thee behind me satan.

Opted for the klim badlands pro as well. Never thought I'd shell out that much but its done. Buying it at such a big discount helped a little. Hoping its buy once. If you can afford gore tex I think thats the way to go for what your wanting.