Geigerrig pressurized hydration system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The joke oppertunities here are endless.

Nope, never tried her...er..it...ah.....them.....

Never mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it, and it works as advertised. The pressurized water makes it possible to clear the hot water in the hose without sucking and spitting or "blowing it back". You can grab a drink easily in a full-face helmet, and then spritz the guy riding behind you. Good stuff. The hydration engine is much tougher than other water bladders, and the whole top slides open to allow easy filling and cleaning. This allows you to fill it with ice from hotel ice machines and water from sinks that don't have a high-rise faucet. Try that with a Camelback.

Very interesting! I've long thought about a bulb to pump the contents of a reservoir to spray down my cool sleeves while riding. I can imagine trying a 2L or 3L as a supplement to my current 2x2L Skyway system. Rigging it on the bike might be a little trick as I don't like any of their backpack solutions. I can imagine rigging it into my cell cover or tank bag panniers though. It looks an added benefit to the pressurization is that orientation of the bag doesn't seem as critical. It appear it would work flat, vertically...or maybe even upside down.

This seems very cool to me. I've never wanted to get into the traditional Camelback dealios because of all the limitations that were mentioned in the video.

This really does look like a much better mousetrap. And its utility is not limited to motorcyclists, it seems equally superior for all sports that utilize a hydration system.

Anyone ever try to pressurize a "skyway" style system yet?

Anyone ever try to pressurize a "skyway" style system yet?
The part that would be pressurized would be a plastic igloo drink container. The tolerances aren't close enough to pressurize it. However, I think you can easily put in a 2L and maybe a 3L unit in lieu of the drink jug inside the cordura cover. That's my plan to try.

The Geigerrig bladder is actually two bladders back-to-back. The air is pumped into a bladder on the back of the water bladder. As it expands, it pressurized the water bladder. As a result there is no air bubble in the water, and it flows in any orientation. The bladder can be placed in a container or cooler, then pressurized, and it will expand to fill the available space.

You can't convert another drink bladder to be pressurized by blowing air into it. Even if you could, you would just end up with air instead of water coming out of the drink tube.

You can't convert another drink bladder to be pressurized by blowing air into it. Even if you could, you would just end up with air instead of water coming out of the drink tube.
Unless one were to install an air bladder device inside the igloo cooler. That would be pretty trivial, I'd think. Of course making sure that the bladder doesn't impart a nasty taste in the water would be key.

The trickier part would be devising an accumulator of the air pressure, so that as you use it it doesn't lose pressure quickly.

Hmmm...

Unless one were to install an air bladder device inside the igloo cooler. That would be pretty trivial, I'd think. Of course making sure that the bladder doesn't impart a nasty taste in the water would be key.

The trickier part would be devising an accumulator of the air pressure, so that as you use it it doesn't lose pressure quickly.

Hmmm...
The air bladder is its own accumulator. Air is very compressible and a relatively small amount of compressed air will continue to exert pressure on the liquid, even as a relatively large volume of water is consumed. In the case of the Geiggrig, you can drink nearly the entire 3-liter contents and still have pressure without recharging. Once you pressurize, you're done until you go to refill again.

Interesting, I have a Sportsman Warehouse near me will need to check it out .Great for hot weather days. Wonder if you could add a mister tip to spray a mist at you while riding. I have seen portable ones in magazines for your outdoor porch

Interesting, I have a Sportsman Warehouse near me will need to check it out .Great for hot weather days. Wonder if you could add a mister tip to spray a mist at you while riding. I have seen portable ones in magazines for your outdoor porch
What I learned is that if you spray it towards yourself to cool off while underway, the stream plasters itself against the inside of the windshield. :lol: The air atomized it enough there is no need to put a mister on it.

You could hang your Camelbak or Igloo from the handlebars, especially if you put on some of those ape-hangers. Then who needs air pressure? Like this (only the tube goes into your mouth and not one of your veins). You could even use vodka like Hawkeye.

5549319_1_l.jpg

Seriously, having the water shoot into your mouth under pressure seems like it could make drinking pretty awkward. I dunno, this gadget looks to be about $135. To avoid having to suck the water out of the tube? Probably not for me. (I clear the tube by just blowing it back through after I'm done drinking.)