Gell Cell Batteries?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the lead-acid battery on their FJR with a non-acid type?

Some folks I know riding old airhead BMW's are using Panasonic (gel?) batteries and swear by them. No acid drips, paint/chrome destruction, etc. They seem to have plenty of cranking power and the Panasonics are lasting longer too.

I wonder if the gel types weigh less? With the battery being located high in the frame, light weight would help the center of mass equation a little bit. Not to mention the acid eating problem does not exist on a gel type.

And here I thought this was a dual topic thread. I was gonna chime in about the acid part.....
acidsue.gif

The battery in my '05 R1 is one of the newer "gel" batteries.... it's pretty dag-gone small compared to the acid batteries, but it spins that 1000cc motor like nobody's business.

I need to do a little research and see how these gel batteries handle a Battery Tender over the winter.....

The battery in my '05 R1 is one of the newer "gel" batteries.... it's pretty dag-gone small compared to the acid batteries, but it spins that 1000cc motor like nobody's business.
I need to do a little research and see how these gel batteries handle a Battery Tender over the winter.....
Hey Warchild, greetings from Vermont. I did a lot of research about sealed batteries, and contacted both the battery manufacturers and the battery tender company. Here's the deal.

Sealed batteries are referred to as AGM as in Absorbed Glass Matt batteries. some are shipped with the acid in seperate tubes, with the battery dry. there are fiberglass matts between the plates, and you add the acid to the cells, then seal them with the maintenance free caps. that's it, they are sealed and spill and vent free, and need never to be maintained. You need the battery tender PLUS to charge these AGM or maintanence free batteries.

True Gell Cells are rarely used (the new BMW's use them and not many other manufacturers). These require a totally unique gell cell charger sold at beemer dealers, or you can get one from battery tender. I think that 7 amps of cranking power is the same from the battery if it is AGM or gell cell. Both are maintenance free, tip proof, spill proof, vent proff, etc. But you can't use your battery tender plus on the gell cell. :huh: Cheers. Vt

Iv'e been using gell cell batteries in my plane for several years. They hold up well and have a bunch of cranking power. Granted, they are a bit bigger than motorcycle cells.

I'd like to go to an Odyssey battery should I ever need to change from the Yausa. They make the AGM type, and seem to have a good reputation for performance and longevity. I think they also have a sealed "dry cell" battery that would work. Unfortunately, I don't see that Odyssey has a replacement for the YUASA YT14B-4 listed on their website. All their listed batteries are too large. I emailed them to find out if the have a direct replacement. I'm beginning to doubt it, but standing by for the reply. I'm putting an Odyssey dry cell battery in my experiemental aircraft for a backup electrical system. Plenty of power, long shelf life when not charged regularly, and no acid to "spill". Sounds like a good idea to me.

Last edited by a moderator: