Shorai battery install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to installing mine today ahead of my road tour. Man the thing was light, tiny, and damn powerful. Had the datel lit up like christmas! 13.7 sitting there just buttoned in - and that is with the 70% charge the factory says the thing comes with! I am sold and will never go "regular" battery again for anything (hoping they figure this tech out for cars soon.) +1 big time on this battery for sure.

From a Shorai m/c magazine ad:

• Hold charge for one year +
  • Faster cranking for better starts
  • SAFE - No explosive gasses, no lead, no acid
  • Environmentally friendly, just discharge and dispose

WOW...! :eek:

so, if it comes with a 70% charge, do you install it that way? I thought our stators only maintained our batteries at their current state. Who makes a charger for this special battery so I can bring it to 100% before installing?

so, if it comes with a 70% charge, do you install it that way? I thought our stators only maintained our batteries at their current state. Who makes a charger for this special battery so I can bring it to 100% before installing?
Huh? Where did you get that impression? ANY vehicle's charging system had better be able to charge a discharged battery. The FJR's is no different. Some are better than others, and the FJR's works fine.

Conventional wisdom is it takes several charge cycles to fully charge a new battery. So I really don't think any brand new battery is 100% charged. Regardless, it doesn't matter. The FJR's charging system will charge it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just bought the lfx18a1-bs12 from cyclenutz for $185 to my door. I ride a 06 and didn't like the idea of still having the factory battery on board. Planning British Columbia this summer and didn't want to have any problems. Besides, with the weight savings equals 1.5 hp right! Whoo hoooooo! That's what I'm talking bout!

I intend to have this Fuze block installed and fully functional by the beginning of summer...

7d627cfd.jpg
So Brodie, did you ever get your fuzeblock installed? Any issues with having to remove the battery strap to access the fuses?

You just put it in and have a great ride. I have already installed 3 of them and it fired right up.

Shorai has their own charger specifically designed to this battery. Some other charger brands are ok, but buyer beware. This is what Shorai says about it:

"HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX. "

Let me know if you have more questions on this battery.

Anyone know the CCA and AH specs for the OEM battery?
12 AH

135 CCA minimum
The LFX14A1-BS12 I had ordered for $139 came in this Saturday; this "smaller brother" of the one Brodie bought still lists 14 AH and 210 CCA, way more then OEM.

I knew it was going to be less then 2 lbs, but as others described, when I opened the package I still thought I had a plastic child's toy version of a real battery in my hands, quite surreal.

It went in without a hitch, I used about a quarter of all the foam that it shipped with for the cacvity, and with it's 70% pre-charge it cranked right up. Also finally synchronized my throttle again a day later (Power Comander III USB), which seems to be necessary for me whenever there's no power at all for a few minutes. All is well!

Is regards to Shoeai what is the primary different between LFX12A1-BS12 and LFX14A1-BS12? And how do I know if I need the extra power? It appears that Standard is LFX14A1-BS12, so does it mean that LFX12A1-BS12 is not a recommended for FJR?

I'm sure not having the same results you guys are.

I put my Shorai in before riding from Bakersfiueld to Seattle for the start of the Iron Butt Rally. The Shorai seems to not hold a charge well, even after riding for several consecutive 350-mile nonstop segments between Bakersfield and Seattle (with the aux fuel cell, of course). At no point do I ever see the Datatel voltmeter go above 13.1 volts. When turning the key on to start the bike, the voltmeter typically shows 12.6 to 12.8. Cranking is a little scary- slow and groggy, making me think a start isn't a sure deal. The old OEM Yuasa weighs a ton more, but works very well. I'm cringing at the cost, but I'm headed to the dealership here in Seattle tomorrow to buy a new OEM battery. I hope the Shorai folks stand behind their product. Maybe I got a funky one, but I have very little confidence in it. Not enough to set out on the Iron Butt Rally with it.

Keep your oem batteries on a good tender and they will last a long time. I also have an 05 suzuki m50 and an 07 yamaha v-star 1300. Original battery and both start strong. And have cars with 8-11 year old batteries...same thing. Keep them charged and they will last a long, long, long time. As for the weight. I have cut back to one cosmo a day and only drink a beer on special occasions. Should make up for that 8 pound differential in no time flat...and a lot higher center of gravity too.

Is regards to Shoeai what is the primary different between LFX12A1-BS12 and LFX14A1-BS12? And how do I know if I need the extra power? It appears that Standard is LFX14A1-BS12, so does it mean that LFX12A1-BS12 is not a recommended for FJR?
LFX12 is too small for your FJR.

Depending how many accessories you have and if you have them connected direct to the battery. If you have an alarm or have some that are directly connected and drain while the bike is off it is advisable to go with LFX18. Frankly for 30 or so bucks I would go with 18 just to have that extra vroom.

I'm sure not having the same results you guys are.

I put my Shorai in before riding from Bakersfiueld to Seattle for the start of the Iron Butt Rally. The Shorai seems to not hold a charge well, even after riding for several consecutive 350-mile nonstop segments between Bakersfield and Seattle (with the aux fuel cell, of course). At no point do I ever see the Datatel voltmeter go above 13.1 volts. When turning the key on to start the bike, the voltmeter typically shows 12.6 to 12.8. Cranking is a little scary- slow and groggy, making me think a start isn't a sure deal. The old OEM Yuasa weighs a ton more, but works very well. I'm cringing at the cost, but I'm headed to the dealership here in Seattle tomorrow to buy a new OEM battery. I hope the Shorai folks stand behind their product. Maybe I got a funky one, but I have very little confidence in it. Not enough to set out on the Iron Butt Rally with it.
Call Shorai direct. They have TOP notch customer service and they DO stand behind their product.

That said, You are the first that I hear with this problem.

I'm sure not having the same results you guys are. I put my Shorai in before riding from Bakersfiueld to Seattle for the start of the Iron Butt Rally. The Shorai seems to not hold a charge well, even after riding for several consecutive 350-mile nonstop segments between Bakersfield and Seattle (with the aux fuel cell, of course).
It's a shame you have a flakey one, you should have swung through Sunnyvale to have Shorai change it out with a factory fresh one.

At no point do I ever see the Datatel voltmeter go above 13.1 volts. When turning the key on to start the bike, the voltmeter typically shows 12.6 to 12.8. Cranking is a little scary- slow and groggy, making me think a start isn't a sure deal.
When I put mine in in their parking lot my Datel showed 13.2 volts key off. It averages 13.3 volts, though I ride most every day. It makes my starter spin with a vengeance compared to the battery it replaced.

The old OEM Yuasa weighs a ton more, but works very well. I'm cringing at the cost, but I'm headed to the dealership here in Seattle tomorrow to buy a new OEM battery. I hope the Shorai folks stand behind their product. Maybe I got a funky one, but I have very little confidence in it. Not enough to set out on the Iron Butt Rally with it.
You need a battery you can depend on, the Yuasa is a proven design that is readily available. I'd say change it out now and run the IBR without having to even think about it. You can ship the old one home and deal with it when you get back. Shorai will make it right.

Be safe, and have a great run.

clapping.gif

Brodie

It averages 13.3 volts, though I ride most every day.
Brodie - are you saying your Datel reads 13.3 with the engine running and charging? If so, something doesn't sound right to me. If that is just the 'no load' voltage, what does your Datel read with engine running? I read Alex's comments that his Datel is giving that low reading while engine running? Which doesn't really make sense either.

Sounds like Alex just got a bad battery at a most inopportune time.

Skooter

That is 13.3 average standing voltage - Key OFF. It fluctuates a bit with the heat of the day, when warmer it may bump up to 13.4 volts.

At highway speeds it runs at a solid 13.9 volts. Once or twice I looked down at 14 volts. Bear in mind this datel is wired direct to the battery terminals and passing through only a fuse link wire on the positive lead.

The only time I see voltages in the 12.8 range is key on but engine not running, with all my lighting (Glendas and Kristas, and Glenda tail/brake lights too) and my single and dual heat trollers on. And that was after a couple minutes like this when it stabilized at this reading.

At 18 amp/hours, the Shorai battery has the kick to run all the stuff. It's a shame Alex got a flakey one. Double shame that he didn't pass through Sunnyvale here in the San Jose Bay Area to get it swapped out at the Shorai world headquarters. I'm sure they would get a kick out of seeing a LD machine up close and personal using their product.

smile.gif

Brodie