Gen 1 Adjustable handlebars.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdt3

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the aftermarket has them? The angle is too swept back for me and is killing my wrist. I have to get this fixed or it will be a reason to sell it and get a Gen 11 which are adjustable. It is just the angle, not the height as the bike already has risers on it. It is also not how far back they are. Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated.

I've got the same problem. Heli risers, but the angle of the bars gets my right wrist aching in no time. It I could sweep them forward 5 degrees or so, it would be perfect.

In the MV they did make it but i think it isn't available anymore for a Gen 1.You could try to find it only used..Hope you find one,works great..It has and a 10 degrees +/- angle adjustment.

Have a look at this thread: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/145953-new-mv-handlebar-risers-with-angle-adjustment/

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/

b11.jpg

1330436108-10338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not much help but.........

The FJ Club used to do a kit to allow you to fit conventional handlebars to a gen1 FJR.

Unfortunately it iOS no longer available form them but you might be able to work something out for yourself............

See if you can find a set of lenkeradapters. Many of us used them on our Gen 1's. Great product from Germany, maybe they still sell them in Europe?

Thanks for all the input guys. I tried all the links and they are dead ends for me. I gave up and ordered a set of Gen ll handlebars and top triple clamp off Ebay. Now I have to find a set of Gen ll risers. Hope all this works out, because I love the bike otherwise.

I'm a little late chiming in here..... I have a set of the "lenker" adapters..... complete kit..... I would sell cheap plus any shipping cost......

Just to add another 'too late' option, I have a set of Gen 1 risers that rotate the bar ends forward a few degrees. Cheap, if there's any interest.

Thanks for all the input guys. I tried all the links and they are dead ends for me. I gave up and ordered a set of Gen ll handlebars and top triple clamp off Ebay. Now I have to find a set of Gen ll risers. Hope all this works out, because I love the bike otherwise.
I don't know if a set of Gen 2 handlebars and top triple clamp will fit on a Gen 1 bike.

I think that no one has done that...Please let us know about your project..

I'm a little late chiming in here..... I have a set of the "lenker" adapters..... complete kit..... I would sell cheap plus any shipping cost......
Please message me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Don

Just to add another 'too late' option, I have a set of Gen 1 risers that rotate the bar ends forward a few degrees. Cheap, if there's any interest.
Please message me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Don

I don't know if a set of Gen 2 handlebars and top triple clamp will fit on a Gen 1 bike.

I think that no one has done that...Please let us know about your project..
Will do.

Well, I got out on the bike today and what a difference! It is now a normal bike and behaves like it should have out of the factory and like my FJ1100, FJ1200 and my Wide Glide and like every other bike I have ever owned. It is quieter, smoother and 1st gear is now totally normal. I never used 1st gear with the original differential and now it is a totally normal gear.

My speedometer (GPS measured) is now 10% slower than my actual speed so the SpeedoDND will fix that.

I am sincerely thrilled with the result. Metric manufacturers usually get it right but Yamaha definitely didn't get this right. It is a serious shame too, as they RSV differential is a shelf item that should have been part of this bike from the beginning; including all models following mine. I can only imagine that the Gen ll would be improved by this change too. I know if I get a Gen ll, I will be making this change immediately.

Thanks again to all concerned.

Now I just have to fix the handlebar angle and wear the bike out. :)

A one-wheel-drive vehicle has a rear drive - not a differential!!

What is the relevance to the handlebar issues? I know that a few people have elected to swap the rear drive from the RSV but, in my opinion, there is nothing that needs to be "fixed". I think Yamaha did a pretty good job matching the engine/transmission ratios and rear drive ratios. I'm not sure what your issue was with the original drive...

Fine. It is a rear drive as an assembly. It is a ring and pinion as the components. There is no difference between the ring and pinion in a motorcycle or any other vehicle and is a differential. Call it whatever makes you happy. I'm just happy you knew what I meant.

Handlebar issues are totally personal. It all depends on your height, arm length and a number of other personal issues. Handlebar sweep (angle) is mostly dependent on you shoulder width, but also on your personal comfort. I have wide shoulders and need a straighter handlebar. Same on my motocross bike. It is all very personal.

If you are happy with the stock gearing, then I am very happy for you. Obviously, I was not. Now I am. Have you owned a Gen l? Your info shows a Gen ll which is over 300 rpm lower than a Gen l due to Yamaha recognizing the issue and changing the transmission gears to higher ratios. All they had to do was pick the RSV rear gears off the shelf and put them in the FJR. My 1st gear was so low it was useless. Now it is normal.

Happy riding.

I started to respond in the same vein as your last post and thought better of it. I'm pleased you have your Gen I working the way you like.

Another option which I used is available from Spiegler. The solution is converting to a 7/8 handlebar limited only by the cables, brake lines and electrical wiring.

check out LSL handlebar conversion for FJR1300. Not sure how to link you to this topic originally posted in parts and accessories under LSL Handlebars, there is a pic of exactly what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to respond in the same vein as your last post and thought better of it. I'm pleased you have your Gen I working the way you like.
FJR Pilot, If I said something, or in some way, that upset or offended you, please accept my sincere apologies. It was never my slightest intent to do so. I thought I was just explaining my position. I had no idea I wrote the response in any 'vein'. Sorry.

Don