Gen 1 Forks - seat 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiowize

Reaction score
I did a thorough fork rebuild yesterday, including new valving, bushings, and seals. I was surprised, when popping apart the second fork, that this extra little ring popped out. I had no such ring on the first fork. On the diagram, this is Seat 1.

I've put everything back together, mostly as mess mitigation, but it looks like I will kinda need to start over, with at least another new set of bushings, then press these seats in under the fork seals. (The one seat that I do have warped pretty badly when being removed)

What exactly are the purpose of these things? Any idea why I only had 1 on the bike? (at 30K miles, I'm reasonably certain it came from the factory this way)

any photos? I did my forks this past winter. Changed bushings, put in gold valves...etc. I may be able to recognize something...

I did a thorough fork rebuild yesterday, including new valving, bushings, and seals. I was surprised, when popping apart the second fork, that this extra little ring popped out. I had no such ring on the first fork. On the diagram, this is Seat 1.
I've put everything back together, mostly as mess mitigation, but it looks like I will kinda need to start over, with at least another new set of bushings, then press these seats in under the fork seals. (The one seat that I do have warped pretty badly when being removed)

What exactly are the purpose of these things? Any idea why I only had 1 on the bike? (at 30K miles, I'm reasonably certain it came from the factory this way)
Seat 1 is just a flat washer that sits on top of the upper bushing, below the oil seal. It's entire purpose is to allow the upper bushing to drive the oil seal out when you are slide hammering on it. Otherwise, it doesn't accomplish a thing.

It definitely should have had one in each leg. How hard was it to get the seal to hammer out on that side? Is the missing seat stuck inside the bottom of the oil seal maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I looked in both oil seals, and I don't see it. I guess I won't worry about running without it, and I'll just plan to heat the seals and pop them out that way next time, then put those back.

The funny thing is, the fork without the seat popped the oil seal off easily with the bushing on the inner tube. The fork with the seat was a complete pain to get apart!

MY FORKS ARE LEAKING GETTING READY TO FIX . LOOKING FOR TIPS. I RIDE DOUBLE WITH WIFE ALOT I AM 200 LBS SHE IS 150LBS WHERE TO BUY PARTS AND RECOMMEND ANY CHANGES?

First, Tucsonrider, turn off the caps. That is considered bad form and rude (YELLING!) on the interwebs.

Second, you should buy (or make) one part (a tool actually) and learn to use it.

SealMate