Gen 1 Rear shock interchange

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference in the shocks between a 2003 and a 2004 Gen1 would be. I have a '04 with a leaking shock. While i would like to someday upgrade to a aftermarket, current finances dictate i find a used OEM.

The parts fiche for the 2004 lists the assembly as 5VS-22210-10-00. The 2003 parts fiche lists it as 5JW-22210-20-00. There is what looks like a good used one near me but it's the 2003 part number.

Would they interchage ? Mine is the ABS model, don't know what difference that would make in the shock but maybe it does.

Thanks again for the collective knowledge on this forum, it is awesome....

I ran an 04 shock on my 03 before I put the Öhlins on.

I believe the 04 has a slightly firmer spring but they both fit.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use any FJR shock except for an ES shock. I think the Gen. 3 model "A" shocks are dirt cheap on some of the sites. Google FJR shock, or Replacement fjr1300 shock, or such. Easy peasy to change a Gen. 1 shock, not so easy for Gen. 2 because of the ABS stuff in the way.

Sourced a used one this morning so hopefully will be in by the weekend when i will get a chance to re-install. Now just need to get the relay arm out to change some bushings and maybe bearings...

Thanks to all once again for your inputs.

If the relay arm hasn't been off this bike before, you'll be investing some time doing this service. If you determine that the sleeves or bushings need replacements, take a good look at the corresponding bearings. They likely are needing replacement too. And replace the seals too. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Agreed. And since the bolts are not in backwards i expect it had either not been off, or the previous owner/tech loved doing things the hard way. How much movement in the sleeves is too much ? Are they supposed to be movement free when new ?

For the relay arm, if you have to replace the sleeves, bearings and seals it is worth looking at a low mileage used relay arm on ebay. I picked one up for far less than the cost of the replacement bits needed to refurbish mine. It was in essentially perfect condition (10,000 miles iirc.) Quite a few on ebay right now - search FJR shock linkage. As always, you take a chance that the ebay one is as bad as the one you are taking out. YMMV

36339932615_d88ef9f237_z.jpg