Gen. 1 Spark Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which plugs do you prefer

• OEM spark plugs = NGK CR8E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An alternative = NGK CR8VX

• maybe even better = NGK CR8EK

• maybe the ultimate = NGK CR8EKPA

• The cat's ass = NGK CR8EIX

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Don't give a damn.

• Total voters

SPORT

Reaction score
As per Bin-O-Facts for Generation 1 FJR's

Spark Plugs

OEM spark plugs = NGK CR8E

The cat's ass spark plugs. Iridiums = Brand: NGK, Part Number: CR8EIX, Stock Number: 4218 (About $7 each if you look on eBay or check out sparkplugssource.com/) and likely last 16K miles. NGK Website

An alternative = NGK CR8VX

Maybe even better = NGK CR8EK (double ground electrodes) (submitted by Toecutter)

And maybe the ultimate = NGK CR8EKPA (double ground with platinum center electrode) (submitted by Toecutter)

It's about time to R&R my plugs. Those with experience using various plugs, do you notice the difference?

Stock plugs lasted 16k miles and still looked damn good.

I want to look at my plugs at least that often, so might as well put some fresh ones in at that point.

Poll-whatever :glare:

Change interval-whenever :glare:

Brand-whatever :glare:

I swapped mine (GenII) out at around 16k. Based on the various reports I opted for the cat's ass (4 x NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug - CR8EIX (NGK-CR8EIX) = $27.76) from www.atlantacycle.com. The FJR is now at 40k mi and the plugs look and work great. I don't really want to change them yet since they are functioning perfectly.

I hope I like the double-ground jobs. I bought twenty of 'em, so they'll be around for a while.

Runs pretty good, but don't they all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I like the double-ground jobs. I bought twenty of 'em, so they'll be around for a while.
Runs pretty good, but don't they all?
Yup.

Probably a non-issue, but a price range from $7 to $27 for a set is extreme. Are plugs, valued at $7 each really that much better?

Just reading through the FAQ on the NGK site, and now I'm confused, they actually say that a multi-ground electrode plug is likely to work worse in a non-rotary type engine that the standard single ground electrode plug. Does anyone know if the multi-ground plugs will work better in an FJR?

Multi-ground

Some combustion chamber designs (such as a rotary motor) require that the spark plugs have the ground electrode placed to the side of the center electrode rather than below as on a traditional plug (see photo). This firing tip design tends to erode the tip of the ground electrode faster than a traditional plug, erosion at these points creates a larger gap between the center and ground electrodes causing plug misfire. Thus by having more ground electrodes you extend plug life. It is important to note that multi-ground does not mean multi-spark, there will still only be one spark at a time. Therefore a multi-ground plug will not perform any better and may actually perform worse than a traditional plug, unless the engine is designed for a multiple ground plug.

Just while on the subject, do you guys gap your new Ir plugs before installing them? The NGK FAQ says that Ir plug manufacturers typically recommend not gapping Ir plugs.

Do I need to Gap my plugs?Maybe, but likely not. Many plugs are pre-gapped for their most popular applications, however, the gap can be altered if the plug is dropped or mishandled in packing/shipping. Therefore even if the plugs are supposedly preset for your motor, it is always wise to check the gap on each plug prior to installing. For information on how to adjust the gap see Proper Gapping.

It is not recommended you adjust the gap on multi-ground plugs.

See " Should I gap my Iridium Plugs? " for iridium gapping information.
Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?The manufacturers say NO.

This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

Personally, we at sparkplugs.com, gap our iridium plugs for our own vehicles (we’re rebels). If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, please refer to Proper Gapping for instruction.

plug-1.jpg

I like the kind ya grab ahold of, an they shock the nut hair off ya... But that's just me :dribble: I chew extension cords fer foreplay ;)

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator: