Gen 1 Windshield Opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilj14

Reaction score
Ok I am a new FJR rider and have bought a very low mileage 2004 gen1 bike. I am searching for a windshield or combination of things that will make it more comfortable for my passenger, without destroying the looks of the bike. The problem is wind buffeting in the rear. I currently am running a touring Cee Baileys screen, and also have the stock screen. I have read some information on the Rifle angle optimiser and screen, and think that looks interesting, while the main ones seem to be the Puig and National Cycle VStream. I dont want to buy six screens before I find one that seems to work.....

Hoping some of the "experience" with this crowd can direct me....

Thanks for your input!!

Neil

windshields are one of those peculiar things, like beer, love, honesty, good looks, hot dogs vs. hamburgers etc. etc. etc. not like a condom

where one size/style fits all.

Thanks for the reply. In "poorer" weather does the hole in the lower windshield cause water to make it to the dash and rider?? Interesting concept....

Lots of options out there and not all work for everybody.

I went with the GIVI. A little higher and wider than stock and has the swept up shape at top to direct air flow.

Your problem: everybody is already invested in their own, so that's what they recommend. I used to like my VStream except in the summer, but it was huge, and not really pretty. I've had a couple of CalSci screens, and like them--not as big, but give much improved quiet over the stocker. Those holes do NOT let rain in on you (you'll be sitting in the rain anyway, you know. It's a motorcycle.)

Some like those stick-on wind deflectors at the top of the screen--can't think of the name. To me, they're ugly. Totally personal choice, though. But I do think most anything beats the stock windscreen.

Recommend you read through the whole CalSci website, BTW. He's an interesting guy with lots to say about wind management. And everything else.

p.s., curious about the "low mileage '04." How low?

Last edited by a moderator:
rain coming through two approx. 3" square holes in the bottom of windshield will be the very least of your worries. the only thing I do not

like about my CalSci is that if you murder a bug at the correct speed and angle bug guts get on the inside of the shield & you. murdered a dove once

and had guts all over me & the dash.

Yeah the rain is one of those "challenges".... just trying to keep some electronics dry.....

Thanks for the information. I was wonderinga bout the Vstream.... I'll keep looking....Thanks,

"Your problem: everybody is already invested in their own, so that's what they recommend. "~ Sacramento Mike

So true.

Last year at the IMS show in Long Beach I won the drawing at the National Cycle booth and got a FREE V-Stream screen for my '03.

So I'm "invested".

I really like it, but... 1) it doesn't rain in SoCal and 2) my bride ONLY rides on the back of our Hondapotamus - which also has a V-Stream screen.

Yeah, it's a bit on the generous size. But it provides great wind protection for me (and I'm not a small person), smooth pocket with no buffeting.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with a Givi and was quite happy with it...less buffeting and a little more protection than the stocker....just my experience and i'm 5'8" with a normal torso...well not anymore..lol....couldnt go wrong for the price...