Gen 2 Owners with Cruise Control (CCS-100 or McCruise)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stump

Reaction score
As many of you know, I have been having various intermittent electrical problems with my bike for the past year or so.

Every time Yamaha has the bike taken into the shop, they keep fixating and blaming my problems on the electrical farkles (mainly the cruise control).

Well, the latest SHFT_26 problem is repeatable even with the McCruise disconnected.

I am getting a call from a supervisor tomorrow as I figure 4.5 months in 3 different shops is more than enough time to fix the REAL problem.

I have asked Smitty if he has had any reports of the Audivox cruise controls he installed having electrical problems and my bike is the only one (and I don't think it was the cruise control).

The McCruise I used to replace the Audiovox is a completely contained unit other than tying into the brake lights to know to disengage the cruise if on.

So my question is: if you have a Gen 2 bike and one of the electronic cruise controls, have you had any problems? How long has it been on your bike? What other electrical accessories do you also have?

I want to be able to send the link to the supervisor to look at.

Thanks in advance!

Shane

I installed my Audiovox CC in the spring of '07 I think. I've probably only done 20k miles with it, but I've never had a lick of trouble (that I didn't cause myself) since installing it.

Other electrical add-ons:

Symtec heated grip kit

Hella ff50's

FirstGear dual heat troller

Zumo 550

Datel volt meter

High amp accessory outlet for the air compressor (that I've used a several times)

and a FuzeBlock, not that that should matter.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put 5K miles on my Audiovox CC without any problems...usually have a GPS, modulating headlights, Whelen TIR3 brake light, BlueSea fused power distribution, Brodie relay fix, PCIII...

Have had a MC Cruise on my 2007 almost two years with no problems. Also had a MC Cruise on a 2005 W/ABS for about 2 years with no problems.

I've got a 2006A and the first thing I did to that bike was install an Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control. It's been on the bike for just over 3 years and 50,000 miles. I've got numerous other electrical add-ons, heated gear, GPS, J+M 2003CB, HID auxiliary lighting, and none of those or any combination of them has caused any problems or shown any codes.

A Google search of the term SHFT_26 returns only the threads related to YOUR problem, which implies that it is pretty rare.

Unfortunately, because of the rarity of the fault, you are suffering through the resolution while they thrash about and there isn't much you can do about it - I gather the bike is more than a year old, which means that you can't invoke lemon laws even if your state has them. . . .

You've reported that Yamaha has replaced some of the electronics, but there are certainly other components involved in the clutch actuation mechanism that should be swapped out; I'd be suspicious of the solenoid and any sensor switches that may be involved.

Further, there's no guarantee that the code the bike is throwing is actually related to the fault as described - You could have a bad ground causing current to flow through the clutch actuator to seek a ground; it could just be that the sensor they use to measure the current has issues; It could be that the ECU input is f*cked; it could be that whatever they use as a limit switch is intermittently reporting the clutch is actuated; It COULD be your accessories, but if you've made all of your connections directly to the battery, then removing the leads should clear them as culprits - and you've reported that the dealer was able to make it happen even with the cruise disconnected (as pricey as it is, one major advantage to the McCruise is that it is plug and play). It could even be as simple as a bad battery or voltage regulator causing improper voltages and the unit is messing up.

However if the bike is shutting down while underway and the dealer(s) can't diagnose the problem, then you have a safety issue to deal with and Yamaha has the obligation to correct it.

Removing your accessories is the right way to go. That it still throws the code is good news for you because otherwise you'd have a functional, but defarkled bike and no right to complain. And you DO want the farkles.

I agree with some of the sentiment in that perhaps the best solution is to negotiate a swap to another bike, new or used of the same year or newer, with the same or less mileage and a warranty that matches whatever you have left (subject to a one year minimum) along with reimbursement of whatever you may have laid out for towing with regard to this problem.

I suspect that Yamaha might just go one better and provide a new machine if the negotiations are properly handled.

Good luck.

A Google search of the term SHFT_26 returns only the threads related to YOUR problem, which implies that it is pretty rare.
Unfortunately, because of the rarity of the fault, you are suffering through the resolution while they thrash about and there isn't much you can do about it - I gather the bike is more than a year old, which means that you can't invoke lemon laws even if your state has them. . . .

You've reported that Yamaha has replaced some of the electronics, but there are certainly other components involved in the clutch actuation mechanism that should be swapped out; I'd be suspicious of the solenoid and any sensor switches that may be involved.

Further, there's no guarantee that the code the bike is throwing is actually related to the fault as described - You could have a bad ground causing current to flow through the clutch actuator to seek a ground; it could just be that the sensor they use to measure the current has issues; It could be that the ECU input is f*cked; it could be that whatever they use as a limit switch is intermittently reporting the clutch is actuated; It COULD be your accessories, but if you've made all of your connections directly to the battery, then removing the leads should clear them as culprits - and you've reported that the dealer was able to make it happen even with the cruise disconnected (as pricey as it is, one major advantage to the McCruise is that it is plug and play). It could even be as simple as a bad battery or voltage regulator causing improper voltages and the unit is messing up.

However if the bike is shutting down while underway and the dealer(s) can't diagnose the problem, then you have a safety issue to deal with and Yamaha has the obligation to correct it.

Removing your accessories is the right way to go. That it still throws the code is good news for you because otherwise you'd have a functional, but defarkled bike and no right to complain. And you DO want the farkles.

I agree with some of the sentiment in that perhaps the best solution is to negotiate a swap to another bike, new or used of the same year or newer, with the same or less mileage and a warranty that matches whatever you have left (subject to a one year minimum) along with reimbursement of whatever you may have laid out for towing with regard to this problem.

I suspect that Yamaha might just go one better and provide a new machine if the negotiations are properly handled.

Good luck.
Bram,

I have tried being polite with Yamaha but I am really at the end of my patience with this.

I have asked for somebody hirgher than a customer service representative to call me and it was ignored until yesterday.

I have asked for a trade-in allowance and was told that would have to be negotiated with a dealer - no dealer is going to take a bike that has to be "pushed" in.

Since the beginning of my problems Yamaha has always focused on the accessories (and not anything else).

I have done a GOOGLE search and I have realized that I am the only one having a consistent SHFT_26 problem but the problem is still REAL.

A supervisor is suppose to call me today but I don't know if much will change (I am hopeful but at this point I am really disappointed in Yamaha because my bike has now been in 3 dealerships for a total of 4.5 months).

I am at the point I just want them to get the bike certified as fixed, I will have the accessories removed, and move on to another bike and for the next owner's sake, I hope Yamaha is right. My family no longer wants me to ride the bike and to wind up being "Dead Right".

Any how, I am hoping to bring this nightmare to conclusion and move on but it is hard to do until the bike is rideable.

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane,

2006A with the Audiovox cruise installed since the spring of 07, a little less than 30,000 miles on it with no problems. FWIW I tapped the ignition coils for mine, not the ECU.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I installed a AVCC a year ago on my 07A and have 14,000 trouble free miles since then. I also have Honda ST1300 heated grips, Heat-troller, Stebel Nautilus horn, PC-III and a switched power strip. No electrical problems with my bike - knock on wood. I shouldn't have said that because I haven't checked my ground connectors yet. :unsure:

Hi Shane

I hope this helps...

I bought my AE in november '06 and by march '07 it had the MotorcycleCruise installed. Aside from a high idle speed related no shift - once - the AE unit has worked without a hitch. Early 2008 I started adding enhancements for my upcoming cross country trip. The bike has been a very good platform for me. Currently the bike just passed 65k on the odometer.

The electrical farkles added are...

• MotorcycleCruise electronic cruise control.
  • Starcom Digital.
  • Jensen Heavy Duty AM/FM/WB radio.
  • Heated seat controlled by a Heat Troller.
  • Heated jacket liner and gloves on a dual channel Heat Troller.
  • An electrified tank bag.
  • A Datel volt meter.
  • Night Rider wigwag tail/brake light LED array.
  • A device that automaticly arms the paddle switch when you turn the key on.
  • A fused battery tender lead straight off the battery, I run my slime tyre pump from it.
All these power drawing devices (except the Night Rider) are running through an auxiliary fuse panel which draws directly from the battery. The only things drawing power from the bike's wiring harness are a collection of relays and the Night Rider LED array.

My Ignition Switch started giving me problems in late 2007, I had that fixed by mid may 2008. I just inspected my ground shunts and gave them a clean bill of health. So far my bike has had no other faults showing up. The MotorcycleCruise unit was installed per instructions, it was a plug and play deal.

I wish you well with getting satisfaction with Yamaha.

Brodie

Ive had my Audiovox CC since I installed it spring of 2008. No issues (and I connected it to the ECU - OOOOOoooo).

Also have a Garmin GPS connect and Gerbing Heated Clothing port for Jacket only.

Good luck with your issues!

If Yamaha wants the dealer to continue, I would include a wiring harness replacement in the not too distant future. Sometimes a wire can get pinched at the factory but still perform somewhat well. At other times a mis-wiring can pass tests for a while but as items are added to the electrical load, a crimped connection can become intermittent. Depending on port/algorithm range limits of the ECM's ability to detect sensor errors from normalcy, hardware (harness/sensor/AD port) and software may now be working against each other.

Aside from obvious mis-wiring mistakes, the wrong gauge of wire or missing strands of the right gauge can cause anomalies. Rather than perform rocket science as to the cause, replacement of the harness acts as hardware substitute.

If Yamaha wants the dealer to continue, I would include a wiring harness replacement in the not too distant future. Sometimes a wire can get pinched at the factory but still perform somewhat well. At other times a mis-wiring can pass tests for a while but as items are added to the electrical load, a crimped connection can become intermittent. Depending on port/algorithm range limits of the ECM's ability to detect sensor errors from normalcy, hardware (harness/sensor/AD port) and software may now be working against each other.Aside from obvious mis-wiring mistakes, the wrong gauge of wire or missing strands of the right gauge can cause anomalies. Rather than perform rocket science as to the cause, replacement of the harness acts as hardware substitute.
Nick,

I have been asking for a new wiring harness since February and Yamaha Tech has always blamed the electrical accessories because when removed, the problem went away (even though I told them the problem acted the same way with the accessories on the bike). The problem has been intermittent.

Any how, the supervisor call I was suppose to get yesterday NEVER happened and when I called, I was told he didn't have time yesterday but he would call me today.

If they do finally replace the wiring harness, I am not sure if I will trust the bike or just move on.

Yamaha customer service leaves a lot to be desired and I couldn't imagine how my experience would have been if my FJR left me stranded 2000 miles or so from home!

I have also requested a call from Yamaha Corporate to discuss a way to put an end to this nightmare but those requests have gone unanswered.

I will see what happens today.

Best Regards,

Shane

lemon.jpg

Texas Lemon Law and Decisions Etc

Rad,

If it were only that EZ!! Problems didn't begin until well past 1.5 years of HAPPY ownership.

Just got off the phone with the 3rd dealer's tech and Yamaha is finally looking for causes beyond the electrical add-ons (since they are disconnected and the latest problem hasn't cleared).

Oh well, who would want to ride in Texas now any how:

https://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/7780...pnav_undeclared

Oh well, back to work!

Shane