Gen 2 Windshield gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Yamaha Touring Windshield.

I was going to install it tonight, but when I pulled the OEM windshield, I noticed that there was a foam gasket between the windshield and the mounting surface.

I went to the parts fiche, and sure enough, there is a part called "seat 1" (maybe it should be seal 1). It is thin closed cell foam with adhesive to stick it to the windshield.

I looked at the assembly, and it did not appear that this gasket would keep water out of the windshield mechanism.

It looked like maybe the primary purpose would be to just cut down on windshield vibration, providing some damping. And maybe it would also keep the windshield from getting scratched up due to vibration down in the covered mounting area.

Does anyone have a different take on this gasket?

I've ordered two of them, one for the '08 and one for the '09, so it is my intention to install them. But I'm riding tomorrow without one, and wondering if anyone has any other negative issues to raise.

No negatives to ride without the gasket. It was provided to eliminate the "whistle" that early GEN II bikes (windshields) made while running down the road. Search for the topic and you'll find some threads...

--G

I don't think it solved that problem. All four Gen 2 bikes I've owned have whistled if the windshield was in the up position.

On second thought, I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it worked ...maybe they whistle in the down position too without the gasket.

rolleyes.gif

My '06 with its various windshields whistled in the down position. Never bothered me enough to worry about it, full face helmet and ear plugs solves a lot of noise issues!

Enjoy your ride tomorrow, the PNW forecast is buckets of rain...
Snorkle.gif

--G

When I got my Cee Bailey's from a forum member, I needed a gasket. I used an old mouse pad (they're getting harder to find, now) and made one. Been using it for several years and it works pretty well (best as I can tell, anyway).