Gen 3 Helibars Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Looking at (and hearing squeaking from) all the cables/wires around my bars/triple tree gives me the willies. Who here has installed helibars without a problem? Any tips or things to watch for?

Search on google: "helibar install site:fjrforum.com" While few, perhaps no, hits will be Gen3, the background information should help.

Thanks Hud. Only too late did I realize that this topic was like asking a big girl when she was due without actually knowing if she was expecting. My apologies. And thanks for the tip.

Yeah man, this place if full of discussions, photos, and videos on "how to do shit to your FJR." Specifics are sometimes hard to locate since there's just so much of it.

Bill, you did not say if you are doing the Heli Bridge, but I am assuming that is what you are doing. As Uncle Hud stated, there are threads on this here, I posted some pics in a couple of them.

The hardest part for me was overcoming my fear of messing up my Dad's bike. You must have the right socket to get the steering stem nut/cap off without messing it up cosmetically. It will take a decently strong cutting tool to cut the wire looms, the wire issues are easy. Just follow the directions. You will have a couple of "OOOH, now I see what they meant!" moments but this job is not that hard. Re-installing the top triple clamp is much easier if you have someone to move the front wheel backward and forward for you.

This job was not as hard as I thought it would be. I delayed it for several years out of fear. In the end all I did was let my fear prevent me from making my Dad as comfortable as he deserved to be.

You do know this is probably going to NEPRT don't you? It really does need to go there.

Yep. Figured the NEPRT status out too late. Sorry. And yes- fear of messing up the function of my new bike is strong in this one.

I wish now I had taken some pics during the installation process. I will not lie, I was nervous about messing up Dad's beautiful bike and did not take any pics.

I do have some pics of the finished product but that probably will not help you. Good luck with your installation.

I would not worry too much about the NEPRT thing. It is nothing to be proud of but sometimes it just happens. In the end if you get the info you want, then the forum did its job.

Some of threads in NEPRT just seem to keep plugging along and generating high post counts.