Gen 3 mirror mount/stay broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Allen_C" data-cid="1403307" data-time="1534334307"><p>

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm waiting for my local dealer to give me two estimates, one for them doing all the work and obtaining parts and a second for me providing the stay and upper fairing but them doing the labor. The fairing had a piece about 9" long and 6" wide missing, so it's not just cracked.<br />

<br />

For those of you who patched your stay, did you still have to remove the plastics in front our can you do the repair without removal? Also, I've heard using epoxy or a brace. If braced, are you drinking holes in the existing stay?<br />

<br />

Thanks!</p></blockquote>

It can be done in place.

I did mine without epoxy, if I were to do it again I'd install the brace pieces with both fasteners and epoxy, then epoxy over the top of the brace pieces as well.

I did drill and thread the stay to hold the braces, then used nylock nuts on the back side after screwing in the braces.

Agreeing with Big John here. I'm sure it depends completely on exactly where the break is, but I was able to do it in place too. Just by trial and error I bent a metal piece by the "cold forging" technique. In other words I just put it in the vise and banged on it and twisted it with pliers, vise grips, hammers, whatever I could use. When I got it to look fairly close I drilled through the splint piece and a couple flat spots on the stay and tried to line up the holes, tightened some bolts as much as I could. I was a really hillbilly-looking repair (no offense to you hillbillies) and it was far from perfect. There was even some play at the connection and the mirror always had a little wiggle to it, but it held for the rest of the time I had the bike--over a year.

I did try to put a big gob of J-B Weld in the gap, but with the less-than-perfect joint at the break it didn't have much of a chance of holding. It was two thin ends of the stay that had snapped clean--not enough surface to work, but even with that, it did hold, and only the dash panels were removed. As somebody said, be patient. It was extremely awkward working in that little space. Good luck.

The other point I'd make is what was in my mind as I did this is I was working with kind of a "what the hell" attitude. Since the alternative to my approach was to go the giant ugly job route, whether done by me or the shop, I figured at the worst I'd end up doing what I would have done anyway after wasting some time trying a home-brewed fix. The way I did it, it ended up costing me nothing but some time and effort. I was forced to curse once or twice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to mount my large LD5 Auxillary Lights over the winter but I'm a little nervous on how much weight the mirror mounts can handle after all

this talk about the mounts breaking.

I had no problem with them on my 2003.

Canadian FJR