Gen I shock on Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody mounted a Wilbers shock from a Gen 1 FJR on a Gen2 FJR?
I'm pretty sure Highlander did when he replaced his '04 with the '06 that a moron in a truck totaled last September. He's still on the board (on a later model AE now), but doesn't seem to check in as often anymore. I'm pretty sure he posted about mounting his Gen I Wilburs shock on the '06, so a search might turn it up -- guessing it'd be back around '07 or '08. Seems to me he said something about the top bolt being the only issue -- a bitch to get in or something like that, but surmountable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed my Penske from my 05 to the 08, I sent it back to Traxxion for a rebuild before i made the switch though.

R

Thanks
Yes it will. I bought a brand new Wilbers shock/fork spring combo kit last summer on ebay. It sounded like the seller did the group buy here on this forum. Then never installed it. The rear shock mounted up with no problems but the bracket for the remote preload adjuster needed a new hole drilled to match my passenger footpeg bracket. That was it.

There shouldn't be any issues, seeing that the stock shocks are compatible and the Wilbers is slimmer up top than them, so it should fit wherever.

I was considering putting my Gen I Penske on a Gen II and called GP Suspension, who did the work on my forks and had the shock built to my specs. They told me the the swing arm on Gen II is a little longer, so the shock may need to have a stiffer spring. So like it may not make that much difference.

Thanks
Yes it will. I bought a brand new Wilbers shock/fork spring combo kit last summer on ebay. It sounded like the seller did the group buy here on this forum. Then never installed it. The rear shock mounted up with no problems but the bracket for the remote preload adjuster needed a new hole drilled to match my passenger footpeg bracket. That was it.
VTFJR13: So I take it the Wilbers Gen 1 fork springs will also fit in the Gen 2 forks.

Thanks to all for the replies.

You'll need to check into the spring compatibility. The spring perch on top of the dampening assembly was changed with the GEN II forks, it is smaller in diameter verses GEN I. I just installed Race Tech springs in my '06 and the kit provided a washer to enlarge the perch on the dampending assembly.

Sounds like you're on the way to a nice suspension package... ;)

--G

One way to do this is, are the OEM shock assemblies the same Part Number? If so, no issues. ;)

They could still be different PN's due to other internal changes that don't affect the fit of the shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last October I moved the GP Suspension fork rebuild from my 05 to my 08, I just swapped the entire cartridge, springs, and spacers. I also took the Wilbers shock off the 05, had it rebuilt with a much heavier spring (644 to 800 pound) by GP Suspension, and installed it on the 08. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made in the 08's handling.

I put Penske on my Gen 2 that was from a Gen 1, and put on a heavier spring when I did. I know have well over 40K miles on the shock (rebuilt at about 38K miles) with no problems at all.

Shocks are generally interchangeable between all years as covered here.

Aftermarket springs tend to be interchangeable between each other (i.e. Wilbers, Penske, Ohlins), but not necessarily between stock and aftermarket (or that one would want to) as they tend to use the same form factor.

read this swap

I now have swapped it over to a 06AE. :) I moved the hi/ low speed compression cylinder onto the preload adjuster bracket and mounted the preload adjuster to the factory soft / hard mounting studs on the other side of the bike. The YCCS "stuff" wont let you mount it where it is pictured on the 06A. If anyone needs pics of the AE setup , speak up and I'll take some.