Gen II crash bar compatibility with Gen I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
note: split from this topic

I'm wanting in on this crash bar thing. As I see it, the fronts will fit, after some plastic cutting to allow for mounting. However, without side-by-side comparisons, I can't be sure about the rears. Does anybody else know for sure?

Why don't you think they would fit your bike? Specifically, the rears. I understand the differences encountered with the fronts and am willing to work with it. I'm wondering what you have in mind when you say you don't think the rears will fit.
As I understand, the rear is different on the Gen II, something about changing the location of the passenger foot pegs, and I assumed that the rear crash bars would be unable to be fitted. As far as the fronts go, it's just a matter of cutting some holes in some plastic. I would love to have both sets, but I figured this was called a "Gen II crash bar group buy" for a reason.

If someone can confirm that the rears will also fit, we could get the title renamed, explain the extra work required, and move forward.

Are you thinking the rears will fit on a Gen I, aware of the changes made to the Gen II (longer wheelbase, etc...)?

So, anybody know if the rear setup is different on the two Gen's so the bars are/aren't interchangeable?

note: split from this topic
I'm wanting in on this crash bar thing. As I see it, the fronts will fit, after some plastic cutting to allow for mounting. However, without side-by-side comparisons, I can't be sure about the rears. Does anybody else know for sure?

Why don't you think they would fit your bike? Specifically, the rears. I understand the differences encountered with the fronts and am willing to work with it. I'm wondering what you have in mind when you say you don't think the rears will fit.
As I understand, the rear is different on the Gen II, something about changing the location of the passenger foot pegs, and I assumed that the rear crash bars would be unable to be fitted. As far as the fronts go, it's just a matter of cutting some holes in some plastic. I would love to have both sets, but I figured this was called a "Gen II crash bar group buy" for a reason.

If someone can confirm that the rears will also fit, we could get the title renamed, explain the extra work required, and move forward.

Are you thinking the rears will fit on a Gen I, aware of the changes made to the Gen II (longer wheelbase, etc...)?
Well, I think there is only one set in existence at this point and he's not on here very often. I have ordered a set of these bars to check the feasibility of mounting on a Gen I. This will not be my first time trying something new and different on a particular model of bike.

It appeared in the other thread that you had some insight into why these crash bars would not work, so I inquired of your knowledge to illuminate any difficulties I might have. Thanks.

I'll let you know when I get mine in.

It was in the original Yamaha literature when they released the GEN II, the GEN II passenger foot pegs are lower and moved forward.

Chris