Gen II Grounding Harness Recall Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which recall 'fix' did your FJR receive from a dealer?

• Total voters
Probably overkill on my part but I just want the punch on the bike. So I took Brodie's harness off and will get it to Desert Valley Powersports on September 12th, then this winter will take off the Yamaha fix and reinstall Brodie's much superior fix.

Just got my bike back from the dealer, happy to report no issues whatsoever with original (stock) ground. It was an easy 1 day fix at the dealer. :clapping:

Just the supplemental harness here. 2006 bought used in April 2010. 40,000 miles at the time, 55,000 miles when I took it to the dealer for the recall. Mine was the first one brought into the dealership in Phoenix for recall at the time (before I received the recall letter - based on information from this Forum). 5 days to complete the fix since they did not have the harness at the time and had to order it from Yamaha.
Jim, which dealer did you go to here in Phoenix?

Just a reminder folks:

Ok folks, lets keep this thread narrowly focused. The primary Grounding Harness Recall thread is located here: Clicky.

The purpose of this thread is strictly to see what the ratio is of the two different repairs being made. Please keep comments narrowly focused on the subject remembering the other thread is the primary location for information on this issue. That being said, information on how long the repair took - especially if you had to have an entirely new wiring harness ordered and installed would be useful.
Have been doing pretty good so far, but sometimes a bit off the narrowly defined focus of this thread. Remember the primary thread.

I took mine in 2 weeks ago just to get the punch mark. I want to be able to say that all the recalls have been done. I now am in possession of a "slightly used" recall ground harness, it's sitting in the top of my tool box in my garage. The shop that did the work is East Bay Motorsports in Hayward Calif. The service manager, Darryl took good care of me. So far they have done 9 or 10 of these bikes.
Has anybody posted a photo of that harness yet? If not, can you post one? Even better - post a photo of the your harness alongside the Yamaha one! (In the main thread of course!)

Just the supp harness thing. They did the recall and replaced my rear shock under warranty in about 2 hours. I love my shop.

The recall work was as expected as I have inspected my spiders and they were all pristine.

Adventure in Monroe had done 10 bikes with no problems found as of when i brought my bike in a week ago. i only needed the sub harness.

my bike looked good .....16000 miles on a 07. only took them about a hour.

<snip>

Has anybody posted a photo of that harness yet? If not, can you post one? Even better - post a photo of the your harness alongside the Yamaha one! (In the main thread of course!)
Skooter

Go here for that picture...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140588&view=findpost&p=897889

Side by side pictures
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140588&view=findpost&p=897889

smile.gif

Brodie

Well I got bit!

I was scheduled to go into the dealer for the bulletin last week, went to change the plugs the Friday before and there was spider S4 in a big melted ball of plastic.

Two wires on one end were hot enough to melt the sheating on the wires back about an inch or so.

Took it to the dealer and there she sits.

Full harness on order, it's been 2 weeks and counting with no estimated ship date from Yamaha.

Dealer installed the sub-harness Friday. I had several panels removed for doing a valve check and cct replacement, so the recall was a little easier. A while back, I had already added a ground wire to S4 spider, so I knew S4 was ok along with the other spiders, except for S7 + s8. The coolant pipe, which has to be removed for a valve check, was really rusty this time, which concerned me since the bike has been on a lot of gravel roads going to Alaska with their dust control chemicals. I now have the front cowl removed and s7 + s8 are fine.

I took my 08 in Tuesday and my dealer added the Yamaha ground harness. I'm guessing they found no burnt spiders or I would be waiting on a full harness now. They said they had done about 10 FJRs. I may go ahead and put the Brodie or Roadrunner harness in the near future.

GP

2008 with 18425 miles. Sub-harness was installed in about 1 hour but I had dropped it off the night before and it was ready the next evening. Wasn't the first they installed but I didn't think to ask how many.

My connector had partial melting damage. Had done a temp repair 2 years ago with no issues since then, I kick myself for taking it in right away. Now I am into week 5 waiting on a harness to arrive while my ride sits at the dealer collecting dust. Very costly wait for me since it is my everyday commuter vehicle. Dealer has contacted me every week to update me on the part status which is "no word from Yamaha on when your part will arrive". :angry2:

Just got my bike done this last Thursday. Turned it in last week when the harness arrived, 7 days to replace the harness. They also did the ignition recall too. Good to have my baby back. I can officially change the from back to a smile. :)

Sorry for duplciate post - just saw the poll

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=139216&pid=922578&st=460entry922578

I finally took my 2008 FJR in today {commute daily to work, hate traffic, finally had a chance to take in bike and needed new tire anyway.. 3rd puncture this year :angry: }. and got a call back a few hours later that I'm a winner - mine is the first FJR they inspected that needed a whole new harness.

for anyone taking notes - this is a 49 state model initially ridden by a Yamaha sales rep in So Cal for 1 year (and just above the 7.k mi required to sell in CA). In the 2.5+ yrs I've had it, I've ridden 32k miles (just hit 40k). Wiring harness was in local stock (I presume Irvine area), so I'm told I should have the bike back by Fri (2 days turn-around - works for me). They estimated a 4+ hour job to replace the harness

... The coolant pipe, which has to be removed for a valve check, was really rusty this time, which concerned me since the bike has been on a lot of gravel roads going to Alaska with their dust control chemicals...
This is what stops me from taking my FJR up to Alaska. A few years ago I rode a 650 KLR down the Alaska Pipeline and one of the problems we had was keeping the rad clear of the calcium carbonate. The day before we started out from Deadhorse the tour staff where busy trying to clear the rads and up there your not allowed to spill waste water onto the tundra. It was a major production.

89894832_AeX3H-L.jpg