Gen II Radiator Cover?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karstenp

Reaction score
I am looking for a radiator cover for a Gen II. A search of the forum turned up recommendations for the Cox cover but this cover appears to be available for the Gen I only. There is little feedback on the Meissner or Metisse covers. I am not interested in DYI. Can anyone provide feedback on Gen II rad covers..... the Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

I have nothing to offer, except the fact that I have to take my radiator out every year because it is full of tiny rocks and debris.

I would be interested in whatever comes up.

I am looking for a radiator cover for a Gen II. A search of the forum turned up recommendations for the Cox cover but this cover appears to be available for the Gen I only. There is little feedback on the Meissner or Metisse covers. I am not interested in DYI. Can anyone provide feedback on Gen II rad covers..... the Good, the Bad and the Ugly?
O.K. i'le bite, doesn't the GenII come with a radiator cover?

Are you looking to improve on it?

Dave

Dave
Yes. The stock plastic guard seems pretty flimsy. Thought it might be a good idea to add something more substantial. Maybe, I am being overly cautious. Would like to hear from anyone that has had an experience where they would have liked a more substantial radiator cover....

Dave
Yes. The stock plastic guard seems pretty flimsy. Thought it might be a good idea to add something more substantial. Maybe, I am being overly cautious. Would like to hear from anyone that has had an experience where they would have liked a more substantial radiator cover....
on my Vulcan cruiser and the cruiser community, folks take wire mesh in different coarsness to suit their needs and install it on the inside of their stock cover...seems most are satisfied with the results. Course I was a chrome jockey back then, so...

I purchased a roll of 1/4" sq. wire mesh from Home Depot for about $8. I made a template out of paper first, cut the mesh, and painted black. I fastened it in place with several small quick ties. It worked fine on my trip to Alaska this summer. You will have enough mesh left over to do several more!!! I also installed a fenda extenda on the front fender, which helps keep junk off the radiator.

I purchased a roll of 1/4" sq. wire mesh from Home Depot for about $8. I made a template out of paper first, cut the mesh, and painted black. I fastened it in place with several small quick ties. It worked fine on my trip to Alaska this summer. You will have enough mesh left over to do several more!!! I also installed a fenda extenda on the front fender, which helps keep junk off the radiator.
+1 on the fenda extenda, it's amazing to see how much crap it keeps away from the radiator and lower cowl.

I will order the fenda extenda. The 1/4 sq. mesh is a good idea. Any other suggestions or solutions?

fenda extenda...I used three screws and whenever I do such, I paint them black with this touch up paint pen from O'Reilly that has a ball roller and a brush...the screws disappear.

below is my rear fender extender to keep the rain down here off me and the bike...there are four screws showing in the black plastic

3134530703_7032087184.jpg

I have a Gen II.... I can make you anything you might have in mind... as simple or as comlex as your looking for.. If you have ideas let me know and if you have no idea then I can come up with something that your trying to acoplish.. just let me know if I can help...