Gen III Handling Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if this topic has been discussed before; I'm a newbie on this forum and with the FJR. I have been searching the forum but not seen this topic discussed.

First, the background: I've been riding for about 50 years, racing both on and off road, owned at least 40 bikes of all kinds except for cruisers, and instructed professionally in mainly car racing but also motorcycle riding for about 30 years.

About a month ago, I acquired a lightly used 1,900-mile 2014 FJR1300A after test riding only the bike that I bought so I have no comparison with other FJRs.

One of the impressions during the test ride was that the bike had a tendency to 'fall' into the turns as if the tire pressures were low. In other words, maintaining a steady line through a curve requires some pressure to be applied to the inside handlebar, actively counter-steering, in effect. After now riding the bike about 600 miles, the impression remains. The tire pressures were not low, and I have raised the pressures but the effect remains unchanged.

There is no difference right or left, although the effect lessens with stronger throttle application, in similar ways that many Ducatis handle at speed although the Ducati effect is much less pronounced than what I experience with the FJR.

My questions are if this cornering behavior is common with the FJR1300, could it be tire-related (my bike still has the OEM Bridgestones) or is it a problem with my specific bike?

Obviously, I'm asking the question because the behavior is unusual in my experience, although not particularly troubling.

First, be patient when posting. You double posted, but the admins will come along and clean it up shortly I am sure.

My thought is that the tires and the air pressure are your problem. Some of the earliest reviews of the Gen3 (2013) complained of that very issue.

You mentioned the "tire pressures were not low" but what exact pressure is that? If you go by the factory setting of 36psi for the front, that is too low. We all have a different opinion but I like mine around 41 psi. My Dad likes his at 39 psi. Other folks will have their thoughts too.

Also a matter of opinion but I HATE the OEM Bridgestones. A set of Michelin PR4GTs will transform the handling of the bike. We all have our preferences in tires but the most vocal among us do not go back with the original Bridgestones. If you like the 'stones, the T30GT seems to be a better tire for the FJR.

Good luck with the FJR

My definition of falling into a turn is it falls in easily without extraordinary rider countersteer..... so what you're saying to me is it is NOT falling in and requires you to countersteer more than you are used to. I also feel higher tire pressures lessen the effort required. OK, now that we got that straightened out..........

My opinion, Yamaha recommendation of 36 psi front is way too low. Should be 40. OEM Bridgestone BT-023's are an OK tire, just not a race tire. One day you'll get something else. Plenty of opinions on the best tires, search away, but you have to try them and find out what is good for YOU. Maybe you are used to race tires where you do fall in with no effort........... Popular tire here is PR4's now, maybe with something else up front (I use a Z6 front).

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before; I'm a newbie on this forum and with the FJR. I have been searching the forum but not seen this topic discussed.
First, the background: I've been riding for about 50 years, racing both on and off road, owned at least 40 bikes of all kinds except for cruisers, and instructed professionally in mainly car racing but also motorcycle riding for about 30 years.

About a month ago, I acquired a lightly used 1,900-mile 2014 FJR1300A after test riding only the bike that I bought so I have no comparison with other FJRs.

One of the impressions during the test ride was that the bike had a tendency to 'fall' into the turns as if the tire pressures were low. In other words, maintaining a steady line through a curve requires some pressure to be applied to the inside handlebar, actively counter-steering, in effect. After now riding the bike about 600 miles, the impression remains. The tire pressures were not low, and I have raised the pressures but the effect remains unchanged.

There is no difference right or left, although the effect lessens with stronger throttle application, in similar ways that many Ducatis handle at speed although the Ducati effect is much less pronounced than what I experience with the FJR.

My questions are if this cornering behavior is common with the FJR1300, could it be tire-related (my bike still has the OEM Bridgestones) or is it a problem with my specific bike?

Obviously, I'm asking the question because the behavior is unusual in my experience, although not particularly troubling.
My '13 did exactly the same thing until I got rid of the OEM tires. I'd steer into a corner and had to hold it there. If I released pressure it'd try to stand back up. I replaced the OEM Bridgestones with new BT023 GTs, and it was literally like a different bike. I'm betting the problem fixes itself when you install new tires; any quality rubber will better than those OEMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
What everyone else said. At least 40 psi in the front tire. I sometimes run 42 psi up front. My front stock Bridgestone tire was garbage after 2500 miles. It was all scalloped up and steered funny. You'll get much more even wear out of the front tire with 40 to 42 psi and a much longer life. When you replace your tires, you'll be shocked as to how much better the bike feels and handles.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, many folks substitute a 190/55 rear for the stock 180/55. This results, I'm told, in a more accurate speedo reading.

I learned this tidbit AFTER I replaced my tires. On next tire change I'll go with a 190/55 rear.

My 2014, on the OEM tires, was a pig. On every turn, I had to apply considerable pressure to the outside bar to keep it from lying down- that's how bad it would dive into the turn. Pressures were correct, I had the steering bearings torqued as well, to no avail. While every set of tires is different, and a given set of tires can behave quite differently over their lifespan- I had your problem exactly, and it was the shitty OEM tires. Behaved like a normal motorcycle, with fairly neutral steering, with every set of tires I've had on it once I got the originals off.

Falling into a turn means you have to reverse counter-steer to keep it from naturally leaning more. No, this is not a normal FJR trait. Tire pressure and tire. Assuming you have tried some higher tire pressures then your OEM front tire sucks. The Bridgestones the FJR comes with are not the worst tire out there, but there seems to be a few with 'bad' tires. I have seen this first hand where a brand new OEM tire was 'bad' though by all appearances it looked fine.

Go get a new front tire. It will be well worth any expense in the enjoyment you shall benefit from.

You might want to check the rear suspension settings. If it set too high for you it causes faster turn in which could give you that falling in sensation, However, if you are applying pressure to the inside bar then the opposite could be possible Rear set to low would cause it to feel sluggish. I didn't care for 'stones on my 15. I took them off before 1200 miles.

I'm a little bit of an outsider on front tyre pressure. On my previous FJRs I ran 39-41 psi in the front. On my Gen 3 (2014) I tried 39 and found the ride very harsh. Mine has the electric suspension, and seems a bit over-sprung for my meagre 145 pounds. I run with the recommended 36.

I only noticed the need for a little counter-steering through a corner in the last 1000 out of over 9000 miles of the front. I've replaced it with a T30, very happy with the handling.

Much less sensitive to the rear tyre, but you'll notice if the pressure drops too far.

I'm a little bit of an outsider on front tyre pressure. On my previous FJRs I ran 39-41 psi in the front. On my Gen 3 (2014) I tried 39 and found the ride very harsh. Mine has the electric suspension, and seems a bit over-sprung for my meagre 145 pounds. I run with the recommended 36. I only noticed the need for a little counter-steering through a corner in the last 1000 out of over 9000 miles of the front. I've replaced it with a T30, very happy with the handling. Much less sensitive to the rear tyre, but you'll notice if the pressure drops too far.
Mcatrophy,

Your air is British, are you considering that ?

Original Poster, Check you pressure, verify your gauge, replace the tire, find someone who has another one like yours, beg them to trade you for a quick spin, go buy them a pint.

BTW, my dad was born and raised in England. Bolton area. The family still has some pubs there as far as I know.

Today is Friday and school just got out here!!!!

Time to ride!!

I'm a little bit of an outsider on front tyre pressure. On my previous FJRs I ran 39-41 psi in the front. On my Gen 3 (2014) I tried 39 and found the ride very harsh. Mine has the electric suspension, and seems a bit over-sprung for my meagre 145 pounds. I run with the recommended 36. I only noticed the need for a little counter-steering through a corner in the last 1000 out of over 9000 miles of the front. I've replaced it with a T30, very happy with the handling. Much less sensitive to the rear tyre, but you'll notice if the pressure drops too far.
Mcatrophy,

Your air is British, are you considering that ?

Original Poster, Check you pressure, verify your gauge, replace the tire, find someone who has another one like yours, beg them to trade you for a quick spin, go buy them a pint.

BTW, my dad was born and raised in England. Bolton area. The family still has some pubs there as far as I know.

Today is Friday and school just got out here!!!!

Time to ride!!
As far as I know, our air is the dregs of what's blown across from the USA. The real difference is that it's picked up half the Atlantic Ocean on its travels, which it dutifully deposits on us so that our rivers can fill up the depleted afore-mentioned ocean. So there's probably a bit more moisture, but not enough to hydraulically lock the tyres.
When I picked up my brand new '14 and rode it the 13 miles home, I nearly turned the thing round and took it back, it was so harsh. Then I read the Owner's Manual and saw they recommended 36, not the 39 from the Gen 2 that my dealer had put in it. Dropped it down to 36, the comfort level was a bit better (yes, I tried all the different suspension settings). Over the miles, either I've got more used to it or the suspension has mellowed a little.

What I did find from the start was the handling gave me far more confidence. Don't know why, but I'm cornering faster without thinking about it, find myself at lean angles I wouldn't have reached on my Gen 2 bikes. That has remained through the life of the original tyres and into their replacements.

Just my experience.

Good advice about trying someone else's bike, but choose one of the same generation and suspension.

All:

Thank you very kindly for your quick responses (and apologies for the double posting, I'm still trying to get used to the idiosyncrasies of this forum).

I've run front tire pressures from 36 to 39 PSIG, verified by two different gages, will try higher pressures to see if any difference. I was pretty certain that the front tire would be the culprit, seems to the case. I've had good success with PR4s on other bikes so that'll probably be my next tire, except:

Does anybody have experience with dual sport tires on FJRs? Michelin now offers the Anakee 3 in almost the right sizes at 120/90-17 and 170/60-17. I have had very good results with both wear and performance with Anakees on other bikes and was just wondering about experiences here.

Wandering Dane

My '14es has PR4s, and I find the front VERY sensitive to pressure. Using 36psi is out of the question, but at about 41, it's much better. The sipes are developing an odd wear pattern, too. My last set of BT023s (not the OEMs) felt better. For me they were very neutral and more forgiving about pressure.

I also agree with Cat47 about checking your gauge. I have several supposedly good ones and they vary quite a bit.