Gen III Insurance Increase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got Auto Owners (and Home Owners) on all our stuff. I took our policy and got quotes from Progressive, Geico, and All State last year. None could beat my current rate. Having the home policy gets me a decent discount. Riding with my insurance agent is probably saving me a few bucks too. I don't have dollar figures in front of me, but even with excellent driving records and credit we pay through the nose in Michigan due to our no fault laws.

Check it again without the S3.....I pay $190 a year on my 2005 and have $100 deductible on collision.
Good idea. I'm going to do this just to see but it's been on my insurance for 4 years and shouldn't have made a big difference all of a sudden.

Man, I HATE dealing with insurance although I do really like my agent and so far what he has for me hasn't been beaten somewhere else.

I'm happy with Progressive...but haven't tested them with a claim...they were competitive with Geico, but friends locally recommended Progressive, so I went with them
I'm a Vet and have meant to check out USAA, but haven't
Do so! I went with USAA, and they set me up with Progressive, which I already had for my cars on my own. I ended up talking with a Progressive rep. who told me they couldn't match the quote from USAA, even though USAA went through Progressive! I have been with Progressive for 15 years, with 3 cars, and they couldn't match the price that USAA could offer through Progressive. Weird, but true. It saved me $80 a year using USAA.

Insurance is such a pain in the ass - if you don't have an agent that is out there working for you scanning for new quotes every year get rid of them....

I'm on geico - for my 05 only, auto, home umbrella elsewhere....

I'll have to shop around again soon - with the idea of the upgrade to the 13 or 14 around the corner...

All this "full coverage" posting is deceiving. List your coverage limits by category, and your deductible, then everyone can see what you really have. Otherwise, the full coverage premium claims have little to no meaning.

I can't find anyone to match Progressive's rates. As far as claims go, all I can say is, wow! I hit a deer last fall with the Tenere and they totaled it sight unseen replacing all my gear and accessories at the retail price I paid. I tipped the Ducati this winter while doing some maintenance and they exceeded my expectations again replacing everything with new parts with out questions. I have disappearing deductible with zero deductible right now so my garage booboo cost me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have Progressive for my bikes (4 bikes under coverage), had a very low annual rate (~$900 for the 4 bikes), and was very happy with how they handled my comprehensive claim when I was randomly attacked by a rogue bambi :rolleyes:

When I bought the new 2014 last summer I got an online quote from them via their web page (I really liked that self-service capability) and certainly expected for the new FJR's portion to go up a bit over the old 2005, but the increase alone ended up being more than the $900 I had been previously paying for all 4 bikes with the same coverage.

I thought something with the online quote system must be FUBAR, so I contacted my agent, through whom the insurance had originally been brokered, and they checked the quote, and that was what they came up with too.
not_i.gif
It wasn't just an increase in the comp and collision, like you would expect, but a big increase in the liabilities as well. They must have reclassified the 3rd Gens as a spoort bike or something?

Anyway, I switched to Allstate (outside of my agent) for the 4 bikes, and now pay only slightly more than what I paid on the 4 bikes previously for the exact same levels of coverage. Yes, you definitely do need to shop around.

You guys are talking about insurance for under $200/yr!?!?!?

You're KILLING me here!

Ontario Canada, best price with all my stuff insured at the same place, $700 for a 2006 FJR and that's with no collision.

weirdsmiley.gif

I used to have Progressive for my bikes (4 bikes under coverage), had a very low annual rate (~$900 for the 4 bikes), and was very happy with how they handled my comprehensive claim when I was randomly attacked by a rogue bambi
rolleyes.gif

When I bought the new 2014 last summer I got an online quote from them via their web page (I really liked that self-service capability) and certainly expected for the new FJR's portion to go up a bit over the old 2005, but the increase alone ended up being more than the $900 I had been previously paying for all 4 bikes with the same coverage.

I thought something with the online quote system must be FUBAR, so I contacted my agent, through whom the insurance had originally been brokered, and they checked the quote, and that was what they came up with too.
not_i.gif
It wasn't just an increase in the comp and collision, like you would expect, but a big increase in the liabilities as well. They must have reclassified the 3rd Gens as a spoort bike or something?

Anyway, I switched to Allstate (outside of my agent) for the 4 bikes, and now pay only slightly more than what I paid on the 4 bikes previously for the exact same levels of coverage. Yes, you definitely do need to shop around.
Dang! When I went from the 08 to the 13 FJR I went from $137.00 to $268.00 per year. When the pretty red 2014 ES temptress lured my away from the 13 to the 14 it went up to $338.00 for $100,000 / $300,000 $0.00 deductible but I expect it to go down a bit at renewal in April.

The actual amount that any of us pays is going to be dramatically affected by our locations, so there really is little point in comparing actual quotes unless you are from the same state, same part of a state, maybe even the same town.

I only wanted to relay the relative cost for a third gen with Progressive compared to Allstate for the exact same coverage was more than double.

"Shop around and find your best deal for your own location" is the best advice, I think.

I'm with Fred W here. When I got my 2014 (coming from my 2004 FJR) my Progressive payment went up 62%!!! Switched to Foremost and it went down about $175 a year for the same coverage. And my insurance is through my insurance agent. Could have saved a little more by doing it online (maybe $50 a year savings). You should shop around.

Given full coverage on both bikes, the difference could well be simply that the new bike is worth 5 times what the old one was.
That is what I thought. I have Progressive and had about a 60% increase from my '04 ST1300 to my '15 FJR. I am not happy about it but the difference in worth is significant.

It may be true about location but I have a buddy in Atlanta, and that's a city that I would say is similar to Toronto, and he pays less than $300 full coverage on a new Connie.

That's 1/3 of what we pay in Toronto.

We are getting hosed up here!

Between your gas prices and your insurance rates, you guys in the US can stop bitchin'
smile.png

Given full coverage on both bikes, the difference could well be simply that the new bike is worth 5 times what the old one was.
That is what I thought. I have Progressive and had about a 60% increase from my '04 ST1300 to my '15 FJR. I am not happy about it but the difference in worth is significant.
That would make sense if the increase in the quote was in the comprehensive and collision sectons, which is where the insurance pays any claims out based on the value of the insured item. But, why should the liability insurance go up because it is a newer version of the same bike? That coverage has nothing at all to do with the value of the bike, just the likelihood that you will injur yourself or others or cause property damage.

Rates when switching between bike models doesn't allow an apples to apples comparison because each bike has a unique risk rating by the insurance companies. But you would think that a different year of the exact same model bike would have liability ratings that were close to the same.

I went from a 2004 Mazda 3 car to a 2012 and , with the exact same coverage, the rate went DOWN!

Yes, I was surprised as well.

We looked over the policy and it was primarily the part of the insurance that covers medical that had been reduced.

My broker could only assume it was due to the safety features of the new car.

This whole insurance thing is such black magic
uhoh.gif

It may be true about location but I have a buddy in Atlanta, and that's a city that I would say is similar to Toronto, and he pays less than $300 full coverage on a new Connie.That's 1/3 of what we pay in Toronto.

We are getting hosed up here!

Between your gas prices and your insurance rates, you guys in the US can stop bitchin'
smile.png
+1