Gen III Rear Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
Did anyone order the rear trunk for their Gen III? I did but it hasn't arrived yet and I was wondering if anyone has theirs yet?

Also, does anyone know if the larger one on the European website is going to be available here? I may cancel the standard one and upgrade to the larger one if they're available and the dealer lets me.

Thanks

I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I recommend the Givi or Shad, and you indicated possible ability to change your order.. Here's my Givi, installed with SR357 rack on my 2013:

4CB518F6-7F33-4A74-A262-62E0B504290E-232-0000000C34DD2087.jpg

CE17C8AB-3236-4D45-AEC8-B12A557CC367-232-0000000C32FBBDFF.jpg

F32C46AE-F4D7-466C-A50B-0D9B66EA01E3-232-0000000C3F6B1C2D.jpg

85727705-59EB-43C8-B83A-9652E74098B8-232-0000000C44FA2780.jpg

8B548D5E-8A0F-4155-A28D-D63044664931-232-0000000C49429833.jpg

Until I started to delve through the mine of useful information in this forum I wasn't aware of the weakness of the FJR subframe. Given the member experiences of subframe failure and that the gen3 model is no different to earlier ones I am a little puzzled that Yamaha have decided to make an even larger rear trunk. I know it should not be used together with the side cases but people being as they are this will only show the subframe weakness up even more. Just my observation.

Until I started to delve through the mine of useful information in this forum I wasn't aware of the weakness of the FJR subframe. Given the member experiences of subframe failure.
In your research did you find subframe failure when people used the OEM or Givi-engineered top case? I sure haven't....or don't remember any trend. And I'm one who has had a subframe failure because I put on a box that wasn't even close to OEM.

I wouldn't stress over it if you're going to use Yamaha or Givi-specific parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I started to delve through the mine of useful information in this forum I wasn't aware of the weakness of the FJR subframe. Given the member experiences of subframe failure.
In your research did you find subframe failure when people used the OEM or Givi-engineered top case? I sure haven't....or don't remember any trend. And I'm one who has had a subframe failure because I put on a box that wasn't even close to OEM.

I wouldn't stress over it if you're going to use Yamaha or Givi-specific parts.
This failure doesn't seem to be a regular thing and may indeed be due to excessive overloading (just a guess) in one or two isolated cases so maybe it isn't ordinarily a problem at all. Hence the emergence of a larger Yamaha manufactured top case. Personally I like the look of the new larger Yamaha top case and may consider getting one to replace my standard one. Maybe I am just being a little too wary concerning the potential for any structural consequences.

Pseudo-Fed! You still have your helmet sticker on your tank! tsk tsk

wink.png
I PM'd Fairlaner since he was so helpful with my dash panel removal (over Facetime no less), but I must have taken advantage of his good (ahem) nature, because he didn't respond. Let's temporarily hijack this thread for you to tell (or PM) me with the best way to remove it. In the past I've soaked with hot wet rag then used my fingernails, with 409 to remove leftover adhesive. Is there a more civil approach that doesn't take an HOUR!?....:cool:

Ordered mine when I purchased the bike, it arrived about one week later and the dealer shipped it to me. Have to admit that the mounting system is less pleasant to the eye than my previous beemer mounting racks. This black plastic rack is UGLY.

wink.png
I PM'd Fairlaner since he was so helpful with my dash panel removal (over Facetime no less), but I must have taken advantage of his good (ahem) nature, because he didn't respond. Let's temporarily hijack this thread for you to tell (or PM) me with the best way to remove it. In the past I've soaked with hot wet rag then used my fingernails, with 409 to remove leftover adhesive. Is there a more civil approach that doesn't take an HOUR!?....:cool:
A hair drier and WD40 or lighter fluid will help it come right off without any paint damage.

Ordered mine when I purchased the bike, it arrived about one week later and the dealer shipped it to me. Have to admit that the mounting system is less pleasant to the eye than my previous beemer mounting racks. This black plastic rack is UGLY.
You're looking the wrong direction, methinks. When you're riding the bike, you should be looking forward. See? Now it's not so ugly. What? Ride it faster, so the people around you don't have to look at it as long, then.

Problem solved...

You're looking the wrong direction, methinks. When you're riding the bike, you should be looking forward. See? Now it's not so ugly. What? Ride it faster, so the people around you don't have to look at it as long, then.

Problem solved...
Excellent advice Dean! Just hope it doesn't blow off at triple speeds and hit one of my riding buddies on one of those other makes.
no.gif

wink.png
A hair drier and WD40 or lighter fluid will help it come right off without any paint damage.
Excellent. I take it no match or lighter should be involved?....:cool:

I think a sink should be added to the rear rack.....hell you have a closet there already. Might as well throw in some outlets for microwaves n shit..........

yer on a motorcycle pups..........take less shit.

wink.png
Excellent. I take it no match or lighter should be involved?....:cool:
Yeah...Ixnay on the ighterlay. Some cotton balls to keep the liquid from running, and only pulling on the label when its soft and hot will help it release much easier.

Either that or some 100 grit sandpaper on a vibrating sander will get that label right off.

wink.png
Citric acid eats the hell out of adhesives. A bit of lemon juice should allow you to rub off all traces of the glue with no damage

I picked it off with my fingernails one tiny bit at a time and used rubbing alcohol to get the adhesive off. The one on the right fairing peeled right off.