Gen1 tail-dragger fuel cell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hey folks :)

Does anyone still make a tail dragger fuel cell setup for the FJR? I'd really like to keep this bike pillionable, and still have the aux fuel setup. I know Terry (sampson sport-touring) used to make one. Used would be fine too :) .

Also, I used to buy my fitting from him too. Anyone know a good online source for bulkhead fittings and QD's?

If you would be happy with a total fuel capicity of 9.5 gallons or so, You can get a stock tank expanded.

Look for posts by (or pm) dirttracker30.

Here is the one he just finished for my 08

photo28_zpsdf82f029.jpg

Chuck - that's a pretty nice setup. But I want 11.5 gallons, and that looks like it cost 2 or 3 times what a tail dragger costs lol. Work that good ain't gonna be cheap :)

Chuck - that's a pretty nice setup. But I want 11.5 gallons, and that looks like it cost 2 or 3 times what a tail dragger costs lol. Work that good ain't gonna be cheap
smile.png
Nor would it qualify for use in many competitive rallies.

Nor would it qualify for use in many competitive rallies.
Why not?

The profile of the rear (seat to top) isn't changed. The additional metal used is no thinner than original...

I hoped to stay rally legal here.

From what I understand, tanks expansion is fine, as long as it is done with the same metal and thickness of the original tank. For example, from Team Strange rules..

"(4) Primary (main) fuel tank expansion is allowed, however, such expansion must be made of compatible materials and gauge (thickness) of the main tank. For example, adding a large plastic expansion to your motorcycle's main aluminum tank is not allowed."

IBA rules are similar - so you should be fine.

I don't think that is correct. I thought I remember a specific exclusion this year for tank expansions and said to myself, "I'm glad I don't have a Frankentank." Cognoscente is probably similar.

You probably should have talked to various rally techs ahead of time then. The IBR, in particular, encourages you to talk with tech staff before you build something and then have it inspected at an event that's not the day before the big rally....it minimizes unnecessary angst....mostly by the rallier. ;)

I don't think that is correct. I thought I remember a specific exclusion this year for tank expansions and said to myself, "I'm glad I don't have a Frankentank." Cognoscente is probably similar.
I was looking at the 2011 rules :/

https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2010/IBR2011Rules.pdf

1. Expansion of the stock (OEM) fuel tank is permitted, provided that such expansion is of similar material, gauge, and construction as that of the stock fuel tank.

Well, that sucks if they changed it for people that have tank expansions. A properly done tank expansion seems safer to me than an aux fuel tank. Wonder what the login behind that change was.

You probably should have talked to various rally techs ahead of time then. The IBR, in particular, encourages you to talk with tech staff before you build something and then have it inspected at an event that's not the day before the big rally....it minimizes unnecessary angst....mostly by the rallier.
wink.png
I had heard rumor that the rear profile had to remain stock. An attempt to PM one of the inspectors for clarification was unsuccessful.

I chose to give up a couple tenths and keep the stock line. I have no current plans for a rally, but didn't want to close that door. Either way, I bet I commute to work all week without a pesky fuel stop ;)

This tank ,as is Riding guys' ,are virtually the same ( give or take a couple of degrees ,as it is a custom, hand made). Riding guy showed his to one of, if not the main rule man for the new IBA rules ,and he gave it two thumbs up. Hopefully that is still the case.