Gen2>Gen3 parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
I did search but other than findout the Gen2 windsheild doesn't fit the Gen 3 bike I didn't come up with much.

Would my Gen 2 Penske Shock, Traxxion forks, Russel Seat and my trailer hitch fit a Gen3?

Coming from a person with a Gen 1 and seen at least the first 3 discussed a variety of time:

Yes for sure, probably not (since Gen 3 switched to non-mirrored type forks), yes for sure, and probably depending on exactly the brand and how it attaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could take your whole fork assembly with Traxxion internals and move them over to the Gen III, and take the Gen III forks and move them to your Gen II. The rest we don't know enough about yet.

You could take your whole fork assembly with Traxxion internals and move them over to the Gen III, and take the Gen III forks and move them to your Gen II. The rest we don't know enough about yet.
Thanks all,

Do you think the traxxion cartridge forks would be better than than the stock improved Gen3 forks?

Thanks all,

Do you think the traxxion cartridge forks would be better than than the stock improved Gen3 forks?
HELL YES!

Did I make that clear? The jury is out on how much actual 'improvement' there is from stock Gen II forks to the Gen III. I didn't notice any difference in my 40 miles on the Gen III. Some believe the Gen III design is a cost cutting measure and not as good as the Gen II design. Especially when it comes to the aftermarket. So far, there aren't any options out there for Gen III, though there eventually will be.

In any case, a quality aftermarket suspension on a Gen II is going to be superior to the stock forks on a Gen III.

Thanks again,

I am riding the TAT this summer, but when I get back I am thinking I will find a gen 3 swap all the goodies and sell my 06 with the new G3 suspension and seat on it.

Couple folks have already had the same idea regarding a complete fork swap. Good plan until the aftermarket comes up with a set of internals for the GEN III.

In any case, a quality aftermarket suspension on a Gen II is going to be superior to the stock forks on a Gen III.
Skooter sums it up here... strip your '06 and put all the suspension goodies on the '13. Let us know how it turns out.

--G

Thanks all,
HELL YES!

Did I make that clear? The jury is out on how much actual 'improvement' there is from stock Gen II forks to the Gen III. I didn't notice any difference in my 40 miles on the Gen III. Some believe the Gen III design is a cost cutting measure and not as good as the Gen II design. Especially when it comes to the aftermarket. So far, there aren't any options out there for Gen III, though there eventually will be.

In any case, a quality aftermarket suspension on a Gen II is going to be FAR superior to the stock forks on a Gen III.
Fixed it for you!

Thanks all,
HELL YES!

In any case, a quality aftermarket suspension on a Gen II is going to be FAR superior to the stock forks on a Gen III.
Fixed it for you!
What did you 'fix'?????

Edit: Oh, you added the 'FAR'. Took me 5 looks to figure that out, so I colored and bolded it for you.

Thanks, I'm using an iPad and next to nothing on it works with this software.....plus I seem to have 10 thumbs.

The Gen II Penske and seat go on a Gen III just fine. The Gen II forks damned well better go on a Gen III as I just got a pair back from Traxxion and will have my shop attempt to graft them on my Gen III next week. If they don’t work, you’ll know it without my even having to post here. Just check the front page of your local paper. I’ll be the guy on the school house roof with an AK yelling “Get some!”.

I’ve offered my Gen III forks to Traxxion to fiddle with when I’ve got them off the bike but, haven’t heard back from them yet.

Thanks all,

HELL YES!

Did I make that clear? The jury is out on how much actual 'improvement' there is from stock Gen II forks to the Gen III. I didn't notice any difference in my 40 miles on the Gen III. Some believe the Gen III design is a cost cutting measure and not as good as the Gen II design.
Go to:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

and take a look at the costs to replace the entire fork assembly, the cartridge, the fork caps, and the springs for a 2008, 2012, and 2013 models. I am most surprised at the price changes between the 2008 and 2012 models, I thought they were the same forks.

The Gen II Penske and seat go on a Gen III just fine. The Gen II forks damned well better go on a Gen III as I just got a pair back from Traxxion and will have my shop attempt to graft them on my Gen III next week. If they don’t work, you’ll know it without my even having to post here. Just check the front page of your local paper. I’ll be the guy on the school house roof with an AK yelling “Get some!”.
I’ve offered my Gen III forks to Traxxion to fiddle with when I’ve got them off the bike but, haven’t heard back from them yet.

Dude! A ride down here and we would have you taken care of in an hour! Just removing and re-installing forks is easy-peasy.