Gen2 Yamaha touring shield problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skag

Reaction score
When I install the shield the W trim piece will not hook down tight when the bolts are snugged down. It will not catch the shield good enough, I thought it was a defect in the shield and called the supplier and he sent some pics of another one and it looks the same. I tried mounting it again but the trim piece will not catch like it does on the stock shield and I am sure it will flap around at speed. I had a Yamaha touring shield on my Gen 1 and it did great for me but the W trim piece didn't have have to hook like this one. Has anyone else had this situation with a Gen2 shield .

I have had a CeeBailey's, a a CalSci, the Yamaha Touring, and the stock shield and all seemed to be the same as for the "W" is concerned. Do you have the Yamaha Touring screen? If not, what brand? Picture of problem?

You have tried taking the "W" off and loosen up the screen mounting screws I guess. Does the bottom of the screen you are tying to mount match the bottom of the one you removed? If not, what's in the way? Is the thickness the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the Yamaha touring screen, The bottom of the cut outs on the screen for the hooks of the W are cut out too low and the W won't hook in them when all is put back together. The W fits great on the stock screen, its tight to the shield all over, but not with the touring screen, its tight on the bottom where it screws in but not at the top of the W, it just won't hook.

I mounted the CalSci on my 08 recently; the fingers for the "W" do not fit securely either. My plan is to apply a .020 thk sheet of metal between the shield and fingers (4 small pieces).

Pictures sure would help.

I have the touring wind screen without any issues.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the exact same problem-seemed like the holes were cut to deep to engage the tabs on the W bracket. I used JB weld to glue on 4 small pieces of plastic cut from a jar lid and that has worked fine -4 years now.

I thought about going the modification route but have not decided yet. I think it would be easy enough to do but you expect something coming from Yamaha and being over $100 to fit right.