GEN3 battery access made easier !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh.. I'll have to check to see what my panel looks like. Is it pretty easy to tell if you have the updated panel? I need to install some pigtails this weekend.

Thanks,

Ray

Starting with late 2013 model year production, the right side cowling inner panel was

changed to allow improved access to the electrical components beneath this

panel.... This is straight from Yamaha's Tech Exchange.

With this new right side cowling inner panel, you will no longer need to remove the

CENTER cowling inner panel. Those with the old style can replace it with this

new style... of course, you have to pay for it.

The Yamaha part number for this new panel is: 1MC-2836N-01-00

Anyone have one of these late 2013 model year production FJRs ?

If so, Is the access to the battery easier ?

It would be most nice if Yamaha would publish affected vin numbers.

Cool. Thanks for the photos.
+1.....but after seeing the photos I'm glad I didn't buy the new part, modifying the old part was only a 15 minute job and most of that was figuring out what really needed to be removed on Tab A.
Any change you can hint on what modification on the old panel (s) is needed?

I have a '13 with the old setup. Checked with Yamaha and the new panel would cost me 117 euro
bad.gif

IMG_2365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Yamaha listens. What they've done is what I did to mine about ten months ago: Lop off that useless tab on the forward edge of the battery cover so that you don't have to pull the instrument panel to get to it.

Cool. Thanks for the photos.
+1.....but after seeing the photos I'm glad I didn't buy the new part, modifying the old part was only a 15 minute job and most of that was figuring out what really needed to be removed on Tab A.
Any change you can hint on what modification on the old panel (s) is needed?

I have a '13 with the old setup. Checked with Yamaha and the new panel would cost me 117 euro
bad.gif

IMG_2365.jpg
All three changes are on the front edge of the panel and involve removing plastic. You can see 2 of the changes on the above photo, the mounting screw on the right forward edge has been removed as well as the hole on the left forward edge (which used to interlock with the center panel). The third modification can't be seen in the photo but it involves removing the plastic above the forward hole (on the side of the panel) that is used to interlock with the center panel via a plastic rivet. The plastic that needs to be removed does not interlock with the center panel, it is just in the way and prevents installation. If you remove the first 2 pieces and try to install the panel you will see what needs to be removed.

Gen 1 for the win.... access to battery in 2 mins.....

Other electrical stuff, yeah not so much.... haha

Ok, is see the first two differences, should not be too hard to do manually, number three not so clear yet, but I am sure I can manage... thanks!

Foto-HIJN8JV6-D.jpg

I just tried to remove only the battery panel by removing the single screw and the quick fastener. Seems like it didn't want to budge. Perhaps I have the old style.

My FJR is number 1133.

Ray

I just tried to remove only the battery panel by removing the single screw and the quick fastener. Seems like it didn't want to budge. Perhaps I have the old style.
My FJR is number 1133.

Ray
If you look at the photo of the new panel, there are holes for 2 metal screw/bolts on top and I suspect there are also holes for 2 plastic quick fasteners on the side. You will also have to unhook the plastic tabs on the right edge that connect the panel to the faring (this assumes you have the new part).

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I observed Her Majesty's loyal subject get to the battery in less than 5 minutes.

All I can add? His poor wife!

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I observed Her Majesty's loyal subject get to the battery in less than 5 minutes.
Did he completely remove the center panel or just pull out the right side far enough to get access to the screw behind it........or was the screw behind the center panel already removed?

Finally got around to taking the panels off today. Was afraid that I would break something trying to separate the panels.

Turns out I have the older style. I noticed that the screw behind the center panel was missing though.

And like a dummy, I lost one of the center panel screws - one fell down into the triple tree area. Looks like I'll need to do some fishing. I'm tempted to leave it but I don't know where it could have gone or what it's possibly sitting on.

Glad to finally get the battery tender pigtail connected and routed - it's not very long so I routed it to the right side cowling vent.

Did he completely remove the center panel or just pull out the right side far enough to get access to the screw behind it........or was the screw behind the center panel already removed?

Completely removed the center panel. And the screw behind right side of center panel was still there. He's done it so many times he is good at it. We video'd the procedure. Perhaps the tosser will post it up.