GenI seat gave me bruises, anyone else?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
My 2000 mile/5-day SoCal to WY over the 4th trip just ended and I now have bruising on my upper legs.

The seat did get more uncomfortable over the coarse of the trip, particularly at the upper leg to butt area.

Perhaps the seat is not designed for my skinny ass. I have a 33" waist.

For those others experiencing this with a skinny ass, what solutions did you get relief from?

I would say the saddle is too wide/hard/edged for me.

This is a pic of my riding position.

004.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the world of consideration of a custom seat that so many threads have been discussed before. Fairly typical, but oh so much more enjoyable once you get over the sticker shock and do it right.

Say it with me:

Russell, Russell, Russell!

My 2000 mile/5-day SoCal to WY over the 4th trip just ended and I now have bruising on my upper legs. The seat did get more uncomfortable over the coarse of the trip, particularly at the upper leg to butt area.

Perhaps the seat is not designed for my skinny ass. I have a 33" waist.

For those others experiencing this with a skinny ass, what solutions did you get relief from?

I would say the saddle is too wide/hard/edged for me.

This is a pic of my riding position.

004.jpg

Thanks
I have a gen II and the seat is like sitting on a 2x6 board. My cheap fix was to take an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad then I cut a seat pad from an old foam camping pad that a cut a hole in right where the pressure point was.This i placed under the sheep skin. It has made a big difference in comfort.

I have to say it... I think maybe you were sitting to hard. :dribble:

Seriously, custom seating is the THIRD most important farkle on an FJR. First comes the TOGs/Sliders/Crash bars, then comes the bar risers and then the seat... do the risers before the seat so that it can be made according to your new stance.

Hope you still enjoyed the trip! :)

My genII seat gets mighty uncomfortable after a few miles. My cheap fix was to cut a seat pad out of an old foam camping mat ( approx 1/2 in thick) into which I cut a hole right where the pressure point was.I placed this under the Alaskan Leather sheepskin. This has made a big difference in comfort. You can trim this pad to take some of the pressure off your upper thighs.

Sorry about the above post.....I screwed up.

Just looking at the picture you posted; do you have stuff in your back pockets? I have done many long days on my stock GenII seat up to 1400 miles and never have had a problem. It is obviously not the most comfortable I could be, but never anything as extreme as bruising. I never put anything in my back pockets while doing long days on the bike. That can turn into a disaster.

Even though they are not very good looking on the bike ,I would suggest a AIRHAWK. For around150.00 bucks ,you can sit on them all day long, tankful after tankful,and still not be sore when you finally stop for the evening. The trick to them,is to put just enough air in them so that your ass don't touch the seat. Putting to much air in them is as bad as no air at all. I run a Sargent seat,but if I'm gonna do a long ,multi day ride. It is always on top of the seat. I don't leave home without it.Your only other choice is quit exercising , eat loads of cheesburgers ,and drink gallons of beer.

Just looking at the picture you posted; do you have stuff in your back pockets? I have done many long days on my stock GenII seat up to 1400 miles and never have had a problem. It is obviously not the most comfortable I could be, but never anything as extreme as bruising. I never put anything in my back pockets while doing long days on the bike. That can turn into a disaster.

Why you feel compelled to ask a dude if he has "junk in his trunk" I'll never know.

Just admit you have a fat ass ya 'dillo rapist.

:jester:

Well yeah, but that's only cause I cut the foam in the seat down to 1/2 " thick the day before my ride from Ohio to Sacramento and back. I did have a sheepie for it tho.

Won't ride ( or drive) without one now.... especially in the heat.

At least get a sheepie...Alaskan leather has nice thick ones.

I'll also give you as much ass-padding as you need...I have WAY too much! :lol:

Oh. what brand pants are those? I was thinking about making some....

Mary

Well yeah, but that's only cause I cut the foam in the seat down to 1/2 " thick the day before my ride from Ohio to Sacramento and back. I did have a sheepie for it tho.Won't ride ( or drive) without one now.... especially in the heat.

At least get a sheepie...Alaskan leather has nice thick ones.

I'll also give you as much ass-padding as you need...I have WAY too much! :lol:

Oh. what brand pants are those? I was thinking about making some....

Mary
:lol: I'll bet there's not a 1/2" left in my seat! It feels like bone sitting on plastic :blink:

On long rides, I wear bicycle shorts under my riding pants.

When I remember ;)

Gen 1 seats suck and gen 2 seats blow. Don't ask me what the difference is. Doesn't matter. If you're putting in consecutive multi hundredile days, I strongly recommend a good aftermarket seat. Your butt isn't too narrow or you seat too hard. The stock seat is the wrong shape. Get fit to a good seat and you'll be so thankful you did, you won't care what it cost.

Other considerations. Check out Master Yoda riding position to help with posture and weight distribution. Butt and feet vs. arms/wrists. Move around alot when on long trips to aid circulation. Stand up, sit down, raise each cheek a few times per hour (to vent- helps discourage tailgaters)

I'm no expert, I've not ridden on a Russell. But I love my Rick Mayer leather seat.

On my cross country trip last year I also learned about the butt glory of the LD Rider shorts. Highly recommended for long trips.

Enjoy your research and final results!

Even though they are not very good looking on the bike ,I would suggest a AIRHAWK. For around150.00 bucks ,you can sit on them all day long, tankful after tankful,and still not be sore when you finally stop for the evening. The trick to them,is to put just enough air in them so that your ass don't touch the seat. Putting to much air in them is as bad as no air at all. I run a Sargent seat,but if I'm gonna do a long ,multi day ride. It is always on top of the seat. I don't leave home without it.Your only other choice is quit exercising , eat loads of cheesburgers ,and drink gallons of beer.
Checked the website.... unclear, do they offer custom seating for the FJR or just the products they show... small, medium large and pillon... ?

Which model of Air Hawk did you get..?

I still have my original Gen1 seats, and have been thinking about custom like a russel or bill mayers... which is best ?

I have a Sargent now, better then the stock for short jaunts, but very long distance, just doesn't cut the mustard....

Don't screw around with airhawks, sheepskins, or other home made bandaids. Bite the bullet and get the Russell, if you intend to keep the bike for awhile. I admit to bias, I own two of them, one on my old HD, one on my GenII. They have been in business for a long time and have thousands of happy butts riding around the world.

I also have a case of LOBS (lack of butt syndrome) as others have said an aftermarket seat (or seat pad) helps.

The sheep skin pad helps getting some air under your buttocks which helps to prevent monkey butt.

The other thing that helps is a seat that supports you where you need it most.

All butts differ.

IMHO the seat you choose should depends on your butt shape.

If you can find some one or two that will trade seats for an hour or two. You can then maybe find what works best for You.

Personally I found the Bill Mayer Saddle with an Alaska leather Medium Buttpad - Rally Special - 15"x16" to work best for me.

And the Master Yoda Riding Position also is a must.

To each his own

YMMV

I have put 14K miles on my FJR since I bought it Halloween 2009. Yeah seat comfort is important.

1.5 K miles a month Man I love this bike.

Mmmmm

It needs a bath (as usual)

It needs Plugs ( maybe this week end )

I agree, The AIRHAWK is money well spent. I have had one for years and it works.

Welcome to the world of consideration of a custom seat that so many threads have been discussed before. Fairly typical, but oh so much more enjoyable once you get over the sticker shock and do it right.
Say it with me:

Ditto. Best...farkle...EVER!

Say it with me:

I sat on a Russell and the huge "wings" which can make it harder to put your feet on the ground and hanging off is tougher. I really like my Rick Mayer which works better for the shorter rider. No doubt a custom seat will help.

Perhaps the best thing to do is ask some FJR owners in your area if you can sit on their seats (ya it does sound bad) OR come on over to SW-FOG in Sept and sit on a few there.