Gerbing and Warm and Safe liner owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekirby

Reaction score
I am considering a liner if the GB gets finalized. I have a shop here that sells Gerbing and the jacket is a little bulkier than I think I would like. The Warm and Safe folks describe their liner as heat neutral and the material used sounds thinner and lighter. I like the idea of the tigher fitting jacket. Is it thinner, lighter fit snugger? Do any of you fine folks who own the W 'n S, or better yet both, have anything to share to answer my question. As a side note, I am not very cold natured and the amount of heat delivered is not that much of a concern with me. I feel that either would work for me in that respect.

Thanks folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't want a tight fit. It is real easy to burn the crap out of yourself. I wear 2 layers under mine.

I have had the Warm ans Safe liner for 3 years now. I have to disagree w/ gumba though. As per the instructions from them. You wear the liner close to the body. I put it over a long sleeve t shirt and then layer over it. the liner is very light weight, It rolls up and stores in a small pouch supplied.

I can stay comfy down to the mid 20's with liner, sweatshirt and jacket.

Tim

You DO want a tight fit. The Gerbing rocks. I had a 'Stich heated liner prior and it wasn't nearly as warm as the Gerbing

I've actually warn mine right next to the skin on some sub-freezing rides with all my other layers on top. Good stuff!

Either way consider getting heated gloves too with separate rheostats.

When on the slab I have the gloves up high, but when on backroads I find I turn the gloves off.

I have W&S and works well over a T-shirt with 'stich on top.

So well, I bought a second controller that plugs into a cigarette lighter that I use on my other equipment in the winter.

I have had the Warm ans Safe liner for 3 years now. I have to disagree w/ gumba though. As per the instructions from them. You wear the liner close to the body. I put it over a long sleeve t shirt and then layer over it. the liner is very light weight, It rolls up and stores in a small pouch supplied. I can stay comfy down to the mid 20's with liner, sweatshirt and jacket.

Tim
I guess this is close to what I wanted to know. I did not like the gerbing with insulation. I am going to assume that if the WnS is packable then it is less bulky then the gerbings.

I had a Warm & Safe for about a year but it never fit quite right and never got my heated gloves as warm as I was used to so I sold it on eBay. I then went back to wearing my 15 year old Gerbing's jacket liner. Well, this old Jacket Liner was one of the quilted-look originals. Very UGLY but very warm, and functional with trailer plugs for connecting the heat controller and gloves. Well, one of the trailer plugs that connected the gloves broke off. I called Gerbing's to find out if the broken plug could be repaired and told that the repair would be covered under their lifetime warranty and that I should just send it out to them. Well... what I got back was a brand new Jacket Liner to replace my 15 year old one and the adapters needed for my old style gloves to work with the new jacket..

How many other companies out there stand by their product after 15 years and deliver that level of customer service???

I had a Warm & Safe for about a year but it never fit quite right and never got my heated gloves as warm as I was used to so I sold it on eBay. I then went back to wearing my 15 year old Gerbing's jacket liner. Well, this old Jacket Liner was one of the quilted-look originals. Very UGLY but very warm, and functional with trailer plugs for connecting the heat controller and gloves. Well, one of the trailer plugs that connected the gloves broke off. I called Gerbing's to find out if the broken plug could be repaired and told that the repair would be covered under their lifetime warranty and that I should just send it out to them. Well... what I got back was a brand new Jacket Liner to replace my 15 year old one and the adapters needed for my old style gloves to work with the new jacket..
How many other companies out there stand by their product after 15 years and deliver that level of customer service???

Just to let you know the folks at W & S will stand by their products too. I had a problem with my liner and they replaced with out a problem. There really great folks to deal with and his new heated gloves are light weight and do work really well.

Just to let you know the folks at W & S will stand by their products too. I had a problem with my liner and they replaced with out a problem. There really great folks to deal with and his new heated gloves are light weight and do work really well.
Whether Warm & Safe stands by their products wasn't the point that I was making. The point was that Gerbing's replaced a well-worn fifteen year-old jacket with a brand new one because the trailer plug snapped off one of the sleeves.

All things being equal, that level of customer service should be a consideration when making a purchase decision. I'm sure that Warm & Safe will replace fifteen year-old jackets under their warranty someday but, since the product hasn't been around for too many years...everyone will need to wait a very long time to find out. What I wrote about Gerbing's is what is known to be true about them today.

I have the Gerbing jacket liner and have been pleased with it for four years. I use the portable controler so it works on the tractor when plowing snow.

I have the WnS jacket liner & gloves. Using the dual controller I have been pleased with the available adjustable heat to both. The small space the jacket liner takes up & the use of stretch side panels to get a snug fit were big pluses to me. They are also made by a rider.

I am considering a liner if the GB gets finalized. I have a shop here that sells Gerbing and the jacket is a little bulkier than I think I would like. The Warm and Safe folks describe their liner as heat neutral and the material used sounds thinner and lighter. I like the idea of the tigher fitting jacket. Is it thinner, lighter fit snugger? Do any of you fine folks who own the W 'n S, or better yet both, have anything to share to answer my question. As a side note, I am not very cold natured and the amount of heat delivered is not that much of a concern with me. I feel that either would work for me in that respect.
Thanks folks.
I own both and can answer your questions. The Gerbing is bulkier, it is also warmer, far warmer. The gerbings comes in chest and sleeve sizes and is supposed to be snug, but not tight. The Warm n Safe is lighter and less bulky. It is not as warm, and the sleeves do not come in different lengths so if your arms are not as long as the jacket liners are, the material bunches up and that is not good for heat transfer. The W'n s has strechy material down the sides of the jacket body, makes for less bulk and a better fit, but that area is not heated and if it is cold, you will feel those unheated cool spots. The WnS can be set to allow separate controls for the jacket liner and gloves, or they can be set to run from one controllervia a little plug built into the jacket.. The Gerbings is wired so that jacket and gloves are controlled from the same control, if you want separate control for gloves, you have to order it that way, no extra charge , but you will have to wait for it to be wired that way at the factory. I find that I prefer to be able to control my gloves separate from my jacket, and most of the time I don't need the heated gloves, but when I need the gloves, I do not need them set as warm as the jacket, so this is an important wiring to consider. Here's an example, outside temp 46 to 48 degrees, wearing W'n S liner and Aerostitch suit, control setting 3/4 way to full heat for comfy temp. Same outside temp, same Aerostitch suit, Gerbing jacket, set less than 1/4 up and I was way warmer. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OhioFJR1300. I was hoping someone could compare the two. I actually think that I will go with a Warm and Safe as the difference in heat I am sure will not be a problem. I am looking for less bulk and the addition about the WnS being wired up from for dual controls is good to know.