Get out of 2nd gear much around town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (Blue Flame @ Aug 20 2008, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad someone else brought up the RPM question around town! I find myself around 3k in town I assume it's better on fuel and I don't need to attract attention to myself anymore that I already do!! Just because the bike can go 60mph (i am guessing) in 2nd gear doesn't mean you have to.

The bike can do 60 in 1st.

MPH v. RPM for the '02 FJR:

(click on image for larger view)

I keep the revs as low as I think safe for instant acceleration. I see no point in making noise and burning fuel unless I need to. But, if it gives you pleasure, that's OK with me. I only have the bike for pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
On an R/6 maybe (still probably not that high before useing a higher gear) but your FJR has torque so that you don't need to live in those mid high rpm ranges just cruising.

I keep 4000 - 5000 rpm at all the time. If I do high speed on the highway. revs are going up. It

will not harm engine. This engine is make to do 9000 revs.

Last night took a ride in to a city to meet friend who was working late for coffee. On the way back on 94 construction zone going steady 50 in 5th I was getting around upper 60th low 70th mpg instantaneous.

I have decided to see what would happen if I go to 5RPM. Had to down shift to 3rd and mpg dropped to mid 30th.

HOLY SHIT.

I am never doing that again.

Jekyll and Hyde here......I granny around town and burbs with numerous SUV targets at low revs in stealth mode, relying on those magnificent brakes......on the freeway its Chuck Yeager and afterburner until I'm out in front and have lots of visibility and defensible space........

Keeping the revs up in town just seems counterproductive in every respect to me, not safer and more gas for small speeds.......perhaps an MP3 of those beautfiul FJR pipes at 9,500rpm softly playing in the background while you do 30 would be more cost effective.......l'm just sayin.........

Agree with LgFJR. Too many side roads, alley ways, sidewalks, runners, bicyclists, kids in the 'burbs. I tend to cruise along nice and easy. On the freeway I tend to be more aggressive until I get a clear front, then hold my place.

damn, I've gotten mine past 5000 RPM only a handful of times, when I'm in a real hurry( and on weekends!) Things get illegal real fast playing in the powerband. Typically I'm running around 3-4K even with short highway runs in my commute.

It's like owning two motorcycles. A tame scooter with all the bags and trunk on and under 4K, and a OMGWTF! superbike at 6K and up with the bags off and the windshield retracted.