Getting a new bike, beamer...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask the seller if he has ever had the job done in the past. In all likelihood, with such low mileage, the clutch o-ring is probably dried out, if it hasn’t already been changed to a viton one.

While it is a big labor job, the parts aren’t really that expensive, unless you go overboard and replace everything in sight, just because you’re in there. There is a lot of that going on in the Beemer crowd because so many folks just brought them in to the BMW shop for the repair. When you are paying that much for the labor you don’t want to be doing that again very soon.

Getting a viton o-ring in it, a teflon main seal, and keeping the oil level well below the maximum on the sight gauge seems to improve the longevity of the clutch.

Also, mine has clutch hydraulics that use DOT3/4 brake fluid. At some year, BMW changed to clutch hydraulics that use a mineral oil (hydraulic fluid). In the event of a clutch slave leak, the brake fluid can run down the push-rod and contaminate the main seal. The mineral oil doesn’t kill the seals like brake fluid will. Don’t know which camp the ‘02 is in.

I'm looking at a pristine 2002 with 13,000 miles. My biggest concern is that the clutch seal will give up the ghost on the ride home .
Hi Baron,

I spent quite a bit of time on one and as good as it looked, I couldn't wait to get off as I found it really uncomfortable at the knees. I should say I've also owned sport bikes and never felt that level of discomfort before, and that was when I was in my 40s. Beautiful bikes though! Enjoy.

BMW-RS-100_1501-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
I find mine very comfortable. Comfort is entirely subjective, plus there are things you can do to change the ergos. The K12RS is a much sportier riding position than an FJR. That may or may not work for you. Only one way to tell.