Getting prepped to do a little camping, FJR style

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out this site...this guy has the best price on Ortlieb Waterproof bags. Get the Large or X-Large

https://www.thetourin...PACK%20PAGE.htm
Does the XL Ortleib bag sit across the pillion seat and make contact with the tops of the side cases? I did up a camping roll (tent, sleeping bag, air mattress) rolled up in a large plastic tarp to be used as waterproofing and groundsheet. The roll hung out over the side cases on both sides and in the course of a couple of days riding, the plastic tarp chafed the clearcoat on the bags. I managed to get it mostly buffed out but I am now pretty careful about anything that might rub the paint. The tarp plastic is farly rough but it is surprising how much damage even soft materials can cause when allowed to rub against paint for an extended period of time.

Ross
Ross, I have the Large Ortlieb. I put it on the pillion seat. It does not contact the painted side case covers. I can put my tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, small tripod stool, jet boil & ground cloth in it. If I did it over, I would get the Extra Large... more totally waterproof storage.

I use the Helen Twowheels large duffel.
A short note: I was looking @ Helentwowheels stuff for purchase not long ago. It appears that she had a bad bike accident & isn't producing her products, anymore. I'm not aware if she re-started selling, again. & if she did, be sure to open your wallet. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look really nice, and the reviews are all way positive. Question - can you keep a trunk on or do you need both the seat and the rear platform area?
You *should* be able to run the trunk and the medium Motofiz bag, at least based on what I have seen in pictures.

I plan on running it that way anyways, so we shall see!

here's our set up. We ride 2 up, usually do 10 day trips and camp the whole way. This is from a 11 day trip last year to BC, Alaska, Yukon, Alberta and back (about 4500 miles).

this on the road from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek (photo by BeamerReamer)

1084IMG_2807a.jpg

This is camp set up. Our tent on the left, BeamerReamer & Mrs. tent on the right (photo by Mrs. AuburnFJR) This is a very remote location in BC that had wifi.

1309BCTrip060311_0755a.jpg

Takes about 15 minutes to set up camp and about 20 to break it down and store everything.

Typical dinner meal was a steak (or shrimp, or chicken or pork chop), then foil wrap corn (or baked potatoe, or green beans, or onion and mushrooms with butter). I would support grate on on edge of the fire pit and the other on a pice of fire wood and use matchlite briquets. We would also get a slad in a bag (usually Ceasar) and some french bread. We ate very well. We have a small ice chest on the front of the trailer to keep things cold. We would stop somewhere during the days ride and pick up something local and fresh for the dinner meal. Breakfast usually was a resturant stop after we had gone through a tank of full. Lunch was usually at a fuel stop inthe early afternoon.

Our tent is big enough to stand up inside. We use a Big Agnes sleeping bag that is already made as a double wide. It is down filled. We use the Big Agnes insulated air pads that slide into pockets on the bottom of the bag. These air matteresses are the best I have ever uused. You actually have to let air out to adjust for the comfort level. The BeamerReamers also use a Big Agnes sleeping bag, but they use the foam pads that expand instead of the air matteress style we use. They love them. Theirs do take up more room. Ours fold down to the size of about 4" in diameter x 8 inches long.

Inside the trailer, is our cooking equipment (you can see the plastic bin that holds the stuff behind the FJR top case - it fits between the wheels of the trailer), picnic table cloth, a 10 lb bag of Matchlite BBQ, a small butane burner, a 10 x 10 tarp for under the tent, 2 air matteress, 1 down sleeping bag (double wide), 2 folding chairs (REI - I am sitting in one and one is empty next to me), a 50 extention cord, two motorcycle calbe bike locks, a spare set of wheel bearings for the trailer, a spare ignition switch for the FJR, a 16 inch adjustable wrench for taking the trailer wheels off, a small air compressor, a tool kit that fits in the size of a shave kit bag, 2 full size pillows, both the FJR soft bags (that go in in the side bags - done for wieght distribution), roll of paper towels, spare roll of TP, box of kleenex, various dry foods (chips, jerky, etc...), small camp shovel, axe, saw, 3 extra cans of butane fuel, laptop computer, bike cover, rain gear, spare gloves and sometimes a bundle of wood. I know there are few other small things I am forgetting too. Before I got the Frankentank II, I would also carry a sealed 2 gallon gas can inside the trailer for spare fuel in the remote areas.

We have stretch net that sits on top of the trailer that we use to put any clothes that are not dry under and let them air dry while we are on the road. To keep the load balanced on the trailer, we put the heaviest items to the back and also carried very minimal and lite stuff in the bike saddlebags. Usually the tongue weight of the trailer was about 40 lbs. The over all wieght of the trailer loaded was about 450 lbs. The trailer and hitch are made by Bushtec.

We have done camping trips that are overnight or two nights in the same campground. Meals are usually similar to above.

A short note: I was looking @ Helentwowheels stuff for purchase not long ago. It appears that she had a bad bike accident & isn't producing her products, anymore. I'm not aware if she re-started selling, again. & if she did, be sure to open your wallet. :rolleyes:
I heard something about that, but had no problem getting them from RPW last year about this time.

I heard something about that, but had no problem getting them from RPW last year about this time.
Hmm Interesting! & on another note... I hope she's ok.

Lots of interesting set-ups shown :) . My tip for packing is to pull the tent poles out of the tent so everything packs smaller, and either strap them down across the rear seat or long ways sticking out the back, depending on the tent I take. Don't care if they get wet :) . If I'm just stopping for the night I have a couple of bivies (small, and smaller) that pack smaller than a pair of shoes. If I'm staying somewhere I'll take a 4-5 person dome that I can stand up enough in to change easily. The wife doesn't ride, or camp for that matter (claims the army beat that out of her), so I can pack fairly light. Pick the sleeping bag that's a bit warmer than I think I'll need, and a sheet for if it's too hot where I get set up.

I love camping with my FJR......last trip was up to the Adirondacks and it was great.

I personally travel as light as possible which for me includes:

1. Hennessey Hammock Tent (with extra nylon chord & tie downs)

2. Therm-a-rest sleeping pad

3. Depending on temperature, I usually go with a synthetic lined sleeping bag.

4. Several change of clothing includingflannel shirts and sweater which acts as my pillow at night.

5. Rain gear

6. Stop & Go Tire Repair Kit

7. Duct tape,extra fuses, small took kit

8. Leatherman Multitool

9. Several Headlamps with rechargeable batteries and charger

10. Bic Lighter

11. Dual Band Two Way Radio

12. Small Hygiene Kit (include toilet paper) & First Aid Kit (includes bug spray)

13. Tank bag with assorted items....including snacks and hydration.

14. Leather jacket and mesh jacket

15. Pepper Spray and an HK USP 40

Most of my camping stuff comes from REI.....great outfit and full of knowledge.

All of my gear will easily fit in my side cases and touring trunk with room to spare for additional food and snacks.

I have other farkles on my bike such as Zumo 550, powerlet, autocom and other charging outlets etc that come in handy.

I treat camping as simply a means of allowing me to enjoy the trip itself.

I will say on the a side note that I absolutely love my Hennessey Hammock.... takes less than 2 minutes to set up and take down....weather your camping in the summer or winter it works great for any season or climate.

regards

Jeff

I love camping with my FJR......last trip was up to the Adirondacks and it was great.

1. Hennessey Hammock Tent (with extra nylon chord & tie downs)

2. Therm-a-rest sleeping pad

3. Depending on temperature, I usually go with a synthetic lined sleeping bag.

4. Several change of clothing includingflannel shirts and sweater which acts as my pillow at night.

5. Rain gear

6. Stop & Go Tire Repair Kit

7. Duct tape,extra fuses, small took kit

8. Leatherman Multitool

9. Several Headlamps with rechargeable batteries and charger

10. Bic Lighter

11. Dual Band Two Way Radio

12. Small Hygiene Kit (include toilet paper) & First Aid Kit (includes bug spray)

13. Tank bag with assorted items....including snacks and hydration.

14. Leather jacket and mesh jacket

15. Pepper Spray and an HK USP 40

Jeff
Jeff, the Stop & Go Tire Repair Kit works great until you get a hole that a plug will not fill (don't ask me how I know this). Now I also carry sticky strings & a Slime compressor under my seat

1009112.jpg

I wasn't camping on this particular trip, but I bought this bag for that purpose. It lays across the pillion real nice and I can still get the saddle bags open with a little effort. It's completely waterproof (I tested it in a 4 hour downpour) and doesn't require some silly rain cover.
i'm interested in your North Face bag... is this the basecamp bag? it has a flap over the zipper, but that's it? i'm impressed to hear that it's so water tight...

do tell more!

here's our set up. We ride 2 up, usually do 10 day trips and camp the whole way. This is from a 11 day trip last year to BC, Alaska, Yukon, Alberta and back (about 4500 miles).

this on the road from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek (photo by BeamerReamer)

1084IMG_2807a.jpg

This is camp set up. Our tent on the left, BeamerReamer & Mrs. tent on the right (photo by Mrs. AuburnFJR) This is a very remote location in BC that had wifi.

1309BCTrip060311_0755a.jpg

Takes about 15 minutes to set up camp and about 20 to break it down and store everything.

Typical dinner meal was a steak (or shrimp, or chicken or pork chop), then foil wrap corn (or baked potatoe, or green beans, or onion and mushrooms with butter). I would support grate on on edge of the fire pit and the other on a pice of fire wood and use matchlite briquets. We would also get a slad in a bag (usually Ceasar) and some french bread. We ate very well. We have a small ice chest on the front of the trailer to keep things cold. We would stop somewhere during the days ride and pick up something local and fresh for the dinner meal. Breakfast usually was a resturant stop after we had gone through a tank of full. Lunch was usually at a fuel stop inthe early afternoon.

Our tent is big enough to stand up inside. We use a Big Agnes sleeping bag that is already made as a double wide. It is down filled. We use the Big Agnes insulated air pads that slide into pockets on the bottom of the bag. These air matteresses are the best I have ever uused. You actually have to let air out to adjust for the comfort level. The BeamerReamers also use a Big Agnes sleeping bag, but they use the foam pads that expand instead of the air matteress style we use. They love them. Theirs do take up more room. Ours fold down to the size of about 4" in diameter x 8 inches long.

Inside the trailer, is our cooking equipment (you can see the plastic bin that holds the stuff behind the FJR top case - it fits between the wheels of the trailer), picnic table cloth, a 10 lb bag of Matchlite BBQ, a small butane burner, a 10 x 10 tarp for under the tent, 2 air matteress, 1 down sleeping bag (double wide), 2 folding chairs (REI - I am sitting in one and one is empty next to me), a 50 extention cord, two motorcycle calbe bike locks, a spare set of wheel bearings for the trailer, a spare ignition switch for the FJR, a 16 inch adjustable wrench for taking the trailer wheels off, a small air compressor, a tool kit that fits in the size of a shave kit bag, 2 full size pillows, both the FJR soft bags (that go in in the side bags - done for wieght distribution), roll of paper towels, spare roll of TP, box of kleenex, various dry foods (chips, jerky, etc...), small camp shovel, axe, saw, 3 extra cans of butane fuel, laptop computer, bike cover, rain gear, spare gloves and sometimes a bundle of wood. I know there are few other small things I am forgetting too. Before I got the Frankentank II, I would also carry a sealed 2 gallon gas can inside the trailer for spare fuel in the remote areas.

We have stretch net that sits on top of the trailer that we use to put any clothes that are not dry under and let them air dry while we are on the road. To keep the load balanced on the trailer, we put the heaviest items to the back and also carried very minimal and lite stuff in the bike saddlebags. Usually the tongue weight of the trailer was about 40 lbs. The over all wieght of the trailer loaded was about 450 lbs. The trailer and hitch are made by Bushtec.

We have done camping trips that are overnight or two nights in the same campground. Meals are usually similar to above.
I love that photo! Getting back to nature, together enjoying the outdoors, everybody head down in their laptops and/or Kindle!!

I love that photo! Getting back to nature, together enjoying the outdoors, everybody head down in their laptops and/or Kindle!!
I love Auburn's setup as well. Might be me in a few years...

Nothing like relaxing at the end of an enjoyable riding day with a beverage and some reading material! :yahoo:

Excellent posts all around - thanks to everyone for chiming in. I really have some good ideas about where to go. By all means, please continue to weigh in.

As an update, I ordered my camping gear (tent, bag, pad, pillow - all closeouts on REI.com and it should arrive next week. A friend gave me an unused Cabelos large Compression Stuff Sack (rubber - trust me this thing is waterproof). I'm going to see how that looks/works with my gear next week, and make a decision then. The down side of the C/S is I can't put stuff in it that I want to get to during the riding day - things like my jacket liner, rain gear, clear helmet shield, tire repair, tools, etc. I don't really have the budget for a top box now. I do have a Cortech soft tail bag that I use for these items, but I just don't know if that will pack with the camping bag. So we'll just have to see.

Stay tuned.. and thanks again.

1009112.jpg

I wasn't camping on this particular trip, but I bought this bag for that purpose. It lays across the pillion real nice and I can still get the saddle bags open with a little effort. It's completely waterproof (I tested it in a 4 hour downpour) and doesn't require some silly rain cover.
i'm interested in your North Face bag... is this the basecamp bag? it has a flap over the zipper, but that's it? i'm impressed to hear that it's so water tight...

do tell more!

Yep, that's the one. This is the first and only trip that I've used it on so far and I got it brand new. I took the bike to Orlando last year and it rained half of the first day on my way to Maggie Valley. I was skeptical of the flap over plastic zipper set up as well, so I was very careful about how I positioned it on the bike. The flap had to face toward the back and the tie down straps I used were positioned to hold that flap down tight. I also packed my clothes inside jumbo sized ziploc bags inside the duffel, but I didn't need to. When I got to the hotel, the inside of the NF bag was still dry. It looks like it's very well built, but time will tell if wear and tear makes any of the seams leak. The photo above was taken on my way back home, with no rain in the forcast, so I wasn't as careful how I strapped it down.

OK - making some progress.

Here's what I bought:

Tent

https://www.rei.com/product/833073/marmot-traillight-2p-tent-2011-closeout

This tent was a great price. Taped seams and very well reviewed. Setup is a breeze and I put it out in a shower in from of my house this week. Very dry inside. The tent came with a footprint and everything stuffs easily into its provided stuff sack. The rumors are true - a 2-man tent would maybe work for 2 "little people", but that's it. There's room for me and my saddle bags... barely.

Sleeping Bag

https://www.rei.com/product/835847/the-north-face-elkhorn-0-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

Went with the zereo deg bag per buddy's rec. The zipper was a little hard to pull initially, but after working it about 10 times, it seems better. I got the "Opens on the left" version, and I wish I got the other side - but I'm not really sure why. Again, the bag easily stuffs into its provided sack.

Pad

https://www.rei.com/product/834379/big-agnes-sand-mountain-sleeping-pad-long-special-buy

This insulated pad was highly suggested. Feels a little slippery under the sleeping bag. Might need to make an adjustment. But it inflates in a breeze and is much more comfy than I thought it would be. We'll see how it feels in the woods.

Pillow:

https://www.rei.com/product/816776/grand-trunk-adjustable-travel-pillow-special-buy

All of the camping gear (tent, bag, pad, pillow) stuffs incredibly well into this waterproof compression sack.

IMG_0746.jpg

Everything weighs just over 15 pounds and there's plenty of room for stove, and other camping gear should I need it. By itself, it's straped down nice to the bike. I rode the bike down the road - I hardly know it's there - I could ride all day long.

Here's the problem....

IMG_0750.jpg

My tourmaster bag has my rain gear, few tools, jacket liner, snacks, water, etc. Now, for a 1-2 night trip, I think I could put my clothes and personal items in one saddlebag, and my rain gear, etc (tourmaster stuff) in the other. For more than 2 nights, this will require some more thought. Like a top box kind of thought. I guess that's what it might come down to. I wanted to avoid spending the big bucks on the top box yet. So, I'll keep thinking.

Almost ready to go. If the weather would cooperate, I'd give it a try this weekend. As always, comments and donations are very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need a rack and a back-rest on the back of that bike. Get a hold of Geralud or Premier Cycle Accessories and save yourself some money. Then you can strap your camping stuff on the rack behind the back-rest and you can use the passenger seat for your other bag. You can use the backrest and the rack as tie down points for your stuff.

FWIW, I always store my rain gear in my left side bag. It shouldn't take up that much room.

If it was a frog strangler, I'd probably mount the bag w/ the zipper rear facing... but as of yet, my camping gear hasn't seen any moisture.
Heidi,

I run a kayaking duffle bag for my camping gear. The only time I've had any water get in was when I mounted it with the zipper facing the rear. I guess with it mounted in the front, my body blocks of a lot of the rain hitting it. Plus, I think with it mounted backwards, all of the rain gets funneled that way because of the aero's.

Just my 'perience with it.