Give me a HAND!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88' 600

Reaction score
okay ladies and gentleman, i took my first real ride on FJR today (344miles) by the last 50 miles my throttle had hurt so bad i could hardly grip the throttle, i am a little on the short side no bar risers and a corbin seat,p can anybody think of anything that can help me? i would rather not put the risers on, also im not new to bikes ive been riding for a few years and dont remember anything like this

okay ladies and gentleman, i took my first real ride on FJR today (344miles) by the last 50 miles my throttle had hurt so bad i could hardly grip the throttle, i am a little on the short side no bar risers and a corbin seat,p can anybody think of anything that can help me? i would rather not put the risers on, also im not new to bikes ive been riding for a few years and dont remember anything like this
I'm confused, you're on the short side, but don't want risers? (which would have you leaning over less)

aside from that, if it's just your throttle hand, it might be because the pressure you have to keep on the throttle. Either try the throttle return spring mod, or get a throttle lock such as the Vista Cruise (cheap, but effective), or the Madco (more expensive, but looks OEM).

hi, welcome to the forum. most of us use "grip puppies". see:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rip+puppies+fjr

add a throtle lock, see:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rottle+lock+fjr

also try not to grasp the grip so tight.

cadman

hi, welcome to the forum. most of us use "grip puppies". see:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rip+puppies+fjr

add a throtle lock, see:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rottle+lock+fjr

also try not to grasp the grip so tight.

cadman
+1 for relaxing your grip. Also consider a throttle rocker. should help.

I'm about two months in on my 05 ownership. I'm just starting to figure out how to ride comfortably on the bike.

Being shorter, raisers might make more sense than not (since they'll move the bars closer to you).

Also, 350 miles wasn't a since tank. Stretch more once you get off.

Just a thought....Barry

I feel your pain! Been there, done that. I have bar risers, which are a boon to those of us with short arms. I have a throttle rocker and cruise control. Don't let something that is relatively simple to fix, spoil the ride for you.

The stock bars can be moved back @ 10mm so I wonder if that has been done. I use grip puppies, but some with smaller hands don't like them. The Yoda driving position helps as well. I sometimes find myself gripping too tight, and remember the saying an old racer drummed into me: stay loose as a goose. The bike won't keep a line any better with a death grip than it will with a merely firm one.

I was having the same issues as well, I did the spring unwind put the risers on as well as grip puppies and a cramp buster and havent had any issues since.

Chapparell has some gel handgrips (progrip 719). cramp buster and vista cruise throttle lock. The relaxing the death grip on the grip is a good start. A throttle body sync to ensure the motor is running smooth. You didn't say how many miles you have on the FJR both actually you and the Bike. At about 4300 RPM(Approx. 75 mph) there is a subtle vibration that seems to go away with time. I didn't do the throttle spring thing but I can ride for 500-1000 miles with little or or no pain. another variable that can get you is the road surface. My 2005 is real close to 100K miles and with a smooth road there is no vibration. If I do get vibration it has always been from the road. I also have PR2's .

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies, i have the throttle lock and i even used it a little (prolly less then i should have) some of the roads were rough so that may be an affect and im used to riding sportier bikes so i tightened everything up as well i may let the forks and shock losen up i will look into the throttle mod and the grip puppies

Gunny on Silver Penguin's comments.

Throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster will allow you to maintain throttle position w/o gripping the throttle. Your palm maintains pressure to keep the throttle position.

A throttle lock or real cruise control is great for resting or shaking out a hand now and then, but that's not the prime problem.

The throttle spring unwind can help, and is reversible. Grips that are more ergonomic can also help. Some like the palm swell of the BMW sport grips.

Dude

Use your throttle lock!
That way you can take both your hands off the handlebars and rest them on the fuel tank. The bike knows where to go. A little body English will keep it on track.

:p

Brodie

thanks for the replies, i have the throttle lock and i even used it a little (prolly less then i should have) some of the roads were rough so that may be an affect and im used to riding sportier bikes so i tightened everything up as well i may let the forks and shock losen up i will look into the throttle mod and the grip puppies

Take to heart the recomendation of the Master Yoda riding position. Sounds like too much body wieght on the bars to me. I was doing the same thing.

Here's the Throttle Spring unwind mod listed below. Works like a champ. Also check and see if you need the G2 throttle tube as well. If your throttle tube is plastic it's probably the original. The G2 is aluminum and has a different cam action.

:yahoo:

Here's the Throttle Spring unwind mod listed below. Works like a champ. Also check and see if you need the G2 throttle tube as well. If your throttle tube is plastic it's probably the original. The G2 is aluminum and has a different cam action. :yahoo:

The OP owns a GENI 2005 bike. It is only 2006 and 2007 that have the throttle cam design "flaw" that is helped with the G2 throttle tube.

I'm of the school that you should do simple things first.

Trust us, the spring unwind is a great modification and made a huge difference to me. Then learning not to "death grip" the controls (Master Yoda helps greatly).

Don't give up, you will find a solution as you get more used to this bike.

I experienced nearly the same thing right after getting my '05 and going on a 300 mile trip. Felt like someone had hit my wrist with a sledge hammer...repeatedly. Did the spring unwind. Helped 90% of the ache. Next added risers that brought the bars up AND back toward me. No problems since. Yoda positioning also helps.

Just Love the "faster blue" FJR!

John